• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are the Battery issues really that bad on the TBolt?

Relp, 73% of my battery juice goes to the display. I have it on auto-brightness. Is there a better alternative than turning the brightness down and then squinting to see?

The better alternative is to not use auto brightness as it drains battery since it's always adjusting the brightness based on your current lighting conditions.

I would set it to a level that you are comfortable at, and leave it there. That level is about 30% brightness for me. It's still plenty bright but it won't drain nearly as much battery as a higher percentage.

Upvote 0
I don't use custom themes or anything of the sort, it was a little better round 2 today after fully charged. After 6 hours it was dead, with about 50 or less texts sent, and two phone calls...I plugged it in so it erased what used the battery on that charge the most...oops.

it definitely lasted longer, i will just use trial and error the next week or so...try and figure out any changed made or anything that could cause it. the main bits of the phone are stock.

oh i also did download a battery widget to tell me my percentage left...does that have any affect (little ironic, huh?)

anyways, thanks for all the suggestions!

hope you didnt check this on your phone though, don't check it more than once a day...youre stealing my data and power :)

Upvote 0
The better alternative is to not use auto brightness as it drains battery since it's always adjusting the brightness based on your current lighting conditions.

I would set it to a level that you are comfortable at, and leave it there. That level is about 30% brightness for me. It's still plenty bright but it won't drain nearly as much battery as a higher percentage.

Yeah, auto-brightness is a very well-known culprit. Have you tried setting it down to like 40 percent? It's not that big of a difference, and you can always use the brightness widget to bump it up if you need to at times. I leave mine at 40 90 percent of the time, unless I'm in direct blaring sunlight.

ETA: Also, have you changed your screen time-out to something lower? I have mine set on 30 (15 just ticked me off!), but I'm in the habit of locking the screen when I'm done. That extra 30+ seconds however many times a day will take its toll since the screen sucks the life out of a battery.

Upvote 0
Wow, Sprint said setting your email account to 10 minutes is BAD FOR THE BATTERY. And live Wallpapers is worse than Auto Brightness. Keep setting your phone to sync/download every 10 mins....LMAO. Proof is in the pudding.

http://http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Improve_battery_performance_on_your_HTC_EVO_4G/case-wh164052-20100601-130442?ECID=MA:EM:20110331:DEG:tip_AND_htcevo

Battery performance depends on many factors, including network configuration, signal strength, the temperature of the environment in which you operate your phone, the features and/or settings you select and use, items attached to connecting ports, and your usage patterns for voice, data and other programs.

There are several differences between other phones and your new HTC EVO™ 4G that can impact your battery life:

• HTC EVO has more radios to power (3G, 4G, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS)
  • HTC EVO has a larger screen than most typical feature phones
  • HTC EVO has more capabilities than most typical feature phones
    • Management of multiple email accounts and syncing
    • WiFi access point
    • WiFi Router capability
    • 4G data
    • GPS
    • Access to several 3rd party applications through the Market
    • Applications and Processes running in the background
Because of all these new wonderful capabilities and features, it is up to you to manage your battery life experience. Here's how!

Multiple radios
The multiple radios use battery life even when you are not using them. To improve battery life, turn off your Bluetooth, GPS, 4G, WiFi and WiFi hotspot if you are not using them.

Preloaded widgets are available for your Home screen to conveniently monitor use of radios:

• Power Control Widget – allows you to see radios that are ON and OFF
    • Widget > Power Control
  • Individual Widgets – available for Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile Network, Wi-Fi, 4G, Hotspot
    • Widget > Settings and select what you want to monitor
  • Running Services Widget – can help you identify services that are running that you no longer need that could be ended to save battery life
    • Shortcut > Settings > Running Services Widget

Live Wallpaper and backlight settings
Live Wallpaper uses significantly more battery than standard wallpapers when your screen is ON

• Ambient Light Sensor – controls backlight brightness based on your ambient lighting condition
    • Settings > Sound and Display > Brightness
  • Manual Control – You can use your Power Control Widget to easily adjust your backlight intensity with a simple touch.

Email Applications Settings

• Bottom line, email synchronization settings can have significant impact to battery life and the ideal settings are going to vary by person. Try different configurations that achieve the best compromise between convenience and battery life.
  • Generally, less frequent email syncing equals better battery life
  • Shorter polling frequencies (5 minute, 10 minute, 15 minute) can actually be worse for your battery life than As Items Arrive, especially if you do not have high volumes of email.
  • Email settings allow you to set up peak and off-peak hours for email sync on each email account
    • Pop Account – Mail > Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive > Set Download Frequency
    • Exchange Account – Mail > Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive > Schedule
    • Manual Sync – allows you to receive emails only when you choose to; this can be optimal for battery life if you don't necessarily need emails as quickly as they arrive. Sync by selecting Menu > Refresh

Upvote 0
Denial. The battery stinks. It's "OK" at best if you don't use 4G tremendously and I do in a major city. I went from the Droid 1 to the HTC Incredible and I learned a lesson -- HTC plays a game as to how small capacity of a battery it can use in a phone that is on the border of liability. The 1400mAh battery is even smaller capacity than that of a 3G Droid X. It's a poor choice. It's why I bought one of the tens of thousands of extended batteries that HTC had ready to sell on day one.

Denial is going to help us fellas. HTC should hear about stocking this phone with less juice than the EVO, which was the #1 complaint about that phone by far. Should have been 1700 or better and that would have solved everyone's complaints to a reasonable degree. I don't want to play the game of "will my phone last X hours today?"

Reactions: scorpiodsu
Upvote 0
You guys need to re-read the original post.....the phone was asleep with the display off. All the suggestions mostly apply to someone actively using the phone. And I am sorry but you can have every radio on with the phone checking for email every 5 seconds and it wouldn't die in a couple hours.

Upvote 0
You guys need to re-read the original post.....the phone was asleep with the display off. All the suggestions mostly apply to someone actively using the phone. And I am sorry but you can have every radio on with the phone checking for email every 5 seconds and it wouldn't die in a couple hours.

I think you are in the wrong thread. The original original post was some tripe about VZW discontinuing the phone, then the OP came in and ninja changed it to read something about the battery issues really being that bad. There was never anything in the OP, then or now, that mentions anything about the phone being asleep with the display off.

This whole thread really should be deleted since most of the posts on the first page don't make any sense now that the OP changed the entire topic of the thread.

Upvote 0
I think you are in the wrong thread. The original original post was some tripe about VZW discontinuing the phone, then the OP came in and ninja changed it to read something about the battery issues really being that bad. There was never anything in the OP, then or now, that mentions anything about the phone being asleep with the display off.

This whole thread really should be deleted since most of the posts on the first page don't make any sense now that the OP changed the entire topic of the thread.

Either that or I am going nuts. I did respond after working 12 hours overnight, but I swore I was responding to the thread about a phone dying after being in someones pocket for 2-3 hours.

Upvote 0

Just talked to my friend with a TB and I told him my battery life and he acted as if I was crazy. He says he surfed 40 minutes on his, signed up for classes, used minor GPS, texted, some phone calls and it lasts til late evening (8 or 9pm). I have to charge mine multiple times a day .

I have started uninstalling some Apps that reinstalled from the D1.

What about TIKL? I uninstalled it, but would that be a possible culprit?

At least I know this isn't normal battery life, I'll figure it out before I take the thing back to VZW, it's too fast not to love.

Oh, and the Tango removal definitely seemed to fix the 2 hour battery, but mine is still only lasting about 5 hours, just to clear my original question/problem up. THANKS!

Upvote 0
Chaps, hear a lot of complaints about battery life with EVO/Thunderbolt. I however don't have any complaints. I'm wondering if HTC needs to start with a large flat battery then build the phone around the battery to make people happy? However, it would talk a long ass time to charge a large battery for people sporting a huge battery in their phone.

The EVO 3D will receive a 1730mah battery. I'm hoping when it comes out it goes to Verizon customers in a different name of course. I have a 1750mah battery in my phone and you can still utilize the stock battery cover.

So should HTC start with battery first to satisfy people or should they leave things as is and let the buyer figure out they need to cut off radios and change app send/receive schedules in order to not have their battery die in a day?

Upvote 0
Chaps, hear a lot of complaints about battery life with EVO/Thunderbolt. I however don't have any complaints. I'm wondering if HTC needs to start with a large flat battery then build the phone around the battery to make people happy? However, it would talk a long ass time to charge a large battery for people sporting the 1750mah in their EVOs.

The EVO 3D will receive a 1730mah battery. I'm hoping when it comes out it goes to Verizon customers in a different name of course. I have a 1750mah battery in my phone and you can still utilize the stock battery cover.

So should HTC start with battery first to satisfy people or should they leave things as is and let the buyer figure out they need to cut off radios and change app send/receive schedules in order to not have their battery die in a day?

No. Lmao. I dont want a battery that needs a phone to work. haha

Reactions: Cavemansol
Upvote 0
1700 isn't enough for a 4G device even let alone a 4G device with dual core. Motorola played it right with their 1900 battery coming in the Bionic I think.

HTC needs to stop being so cheap. 1400 battery in the TB is ridiculous.

lol, I carry a 1750 in my EVO 4G and its perfect. But it depends on the user. The 1750 doesn't require a special backing for the phone either. Like I said, the bigger the battery the longer it takes to charge and I know a 1900 battery may piss some people off once having to charge the device. My 1750 doesn't take very long to charge but it ain't super quick either.

Upvote 0
lol, I carry a 1750 in my EVO 4G and its perfect. But it depends on the user. The 1750 doesn't require a special backing for the phone either. Like I said, the bigger the battery the longer it takes to charge and I know a 1900 battery may piss some people off once having to charge the device. My 1750 doesn't take very long to charge but it ain't super quick either.

Bigger the battery the longer it takes to charge? A 1750 battery takes the same time to charge as a 1900 battery would take to charge to fulfill the 1750/1900.

Upvote 0
I already have an incredible, so I when I heard the TB had bad (worse?) battery life I went ahead and bought the extended battery at the same time because my Incredible can't go half a day without needing a charge with the regular battery. I consider myself a medium to heavy user, so being able to go a full day with some battery life left is what I would consider good battery performance.

Just for kicks though I wanted to see how much life I could get with the regular TB battery. First day I picked it up at the store in the morning and played with it while it fully charged at work. Then basically didn't leave it off the rest of the day and it had plenty of juice left when I went to bed, but I still charged again it anyway. The next day I left on wifi - which I use at work and home, and I tried to drain the battery the whole day (GPS, streamed music and video, internet all day) but gave up past midnight at more than 30%. I though it may be because of the wifi, so I tried using only 4g all the next day and it lasted all day just fine using it as much as I pleased.

It's been a few days and I don't feel like I need the extended battery, I haven't opened the box yet so I may just take it back. Supposedly, battery life should get better after a few more cycles which would be even nicer. The TB is running just fine, and 4g is ridiculous. I'm not crippling anything, and I have a lot of apps installed. Maybe I just got one of the good batteries?

I've been hearing so much negative comments about the battery, just wanted to see how many other people are satisfied with the battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones