1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Are the days of Rooting coming to an end as well?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kevmueller, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Kansas City
    So with the first leak of Gingerbread the only way to get root was to got back to Froyo and install a new build that was pre-rooted.

With the new leak/ota that came out not only did we have to go back to Froyo, but we had to install three files to get the new build rooted.

This makes it seem that the manufacturers and the carriers are really starting to find ways to get these locked down. Maybe it is just me but I am wondering if the next line of phones will be hard for programmers to root and virtually impossible for users to root. If Gingerbread was loaded on X when we got it and there is not an SBF to go back to that we can root would there really be a way that most of us could get these rooted today?

Advertisement

2. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Well if people were not using tethering without paying, I doubt the attention would be put on root users by V. Once you take revenue out of a companies hands that's when things start to hit the fan.

3. mortymouse

mortymouse Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
  4. dimitri407

dimitri407 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    IT
    Orlando, Fl
    The media such as CNN is the biggest problem. I read an article a few weeks ago on CNN where the writer was telling the mass public that they could get free tethering by rooting their phones and downloading an app. When you have media companys such as CNN telling people that, you are sure to gain the attention of all the big wigs.

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    It has already been difficult to root many phones. The Eris was rooted only after an unsigned leak was dropped by some "chinese" guy. It had already reached EOL. I believe that as the carriers become more complicated, so will the developers' methods. It may not be as easy as the "old days" but it will continue to be done for quite some time. And honestly, I can see carriers embracing a form of rooting in the future. If it is as popular as P3Droid says it is, then more options will be offered with things such as tethering being blocked or severely limited. Much as it is now with GB.

6. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    i don't think "rooting" per say will ever stop. Will it get more difficult? Yes. That is the nature of this hobby or any related hobby.

More and more i am starting to believe in the theory that these "leaks" get released on purpose to test new security measures or simply to get free beta testers for feedback. Think about it. Moto/VZW leaks out the first GB leak...it was rooted fairly easy. ..Moto/VZW leaks out another "not so different" leak...yet this time it was harder to root.

7. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    +1

i agree with this whole statement, i just believe moto is going in with vzw to use us as free beta testers, and has some members logging into forums to gather the intel, and watching the twitter feeds.

8. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Of course. Why pay Moto employees to test the phone when you can get thousands of testers for free?

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Since I have owned a phone that could be flashed, this has always been a theory. Microsoft and many others just flat out tell you that they are putting out a version for beta testing. Not sure why cell companies wouldn't do the same thing. MS still managed to secure their software up pretty good with a phone home feature even though they openly beta tested.