• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Are the pictures always dark?

wyattroa

Lurker
Nov 11, 2011
It seems every picture I take always comes out dark on this thing even when the flash is turned on. Here is an example, the room is lit up and the flash is on.. Anyone else having this issue, do I need to download a different ap? I just came from the iphone 3g and tested the same picture and the phone has no flash and posted it for comparison.

Attachments

• 20111117_095034-1.jpg
    20111117_095034-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 236
Have you tried without the flash off. The SR photo is obviously more detailed, but it is impossible for me to tell which is closer to true colors.

I have not been overly impressed with the SR photos we have taken while on vacation, but they are not horrible. We have 4 cameras, a 2 sony point and shoot, the inspire and the SR.

Quality has been a tie between my DCH10 and the SR

I am having issues with blue tint, and a weird area of light (maybe reflection of flash off of my hand?)

20111116_181935.jpg

20111116_181921.jpg

20111108_181857.jpg

Upvote 0
I feel the same. It looks good in the viewer but after u take the pic its way darker.

This is spot on with what I am getting..when I am viewing the picture about to take it, the picture is clear and perfect. Then when I take the picture it still looks good down in the corner, but once I go to view it, it go substantially darker..I will post up some more pictures in a bit

Upvote 0
hmm my pictures aren't that dark but then again i barely take pictures... but i did notice that the flash is a lot darker than ogs2... when i used flashlight app on ogs2, it lit up the whole room as if it was day but when i did it again on sr, i noticed it just made it bright enough to see things

I use the app "brightest flashlight"

it's plenty bright

Upvote 0
I just jumped over to the Skyrocket from the iPhone 4 this week, and this was the ONE thing that I was really disappointed in. I kept thinking what a great camera the Skyrocket was supposed to have. After doing a Google search, I came across this site. So thank you to you guys for posting this. I just wanted to add something here that I found...

Yes, everything does look crisp and bright in the viewfinder. The flash lights up like a Christmas tree. Then you go to your pictures and everything is much darker than they looked when taking the picture. I tested different settings and found that when I had my phone in power save mode, that's when you get the dark images. Turn off the power save mode and everything is nice and bright.

I tested this by viewing a picture I had taken inside my house...taking a screen shot while not in power mode...taking a screen shot with power mode. I then viewed those shots in power saving mode and they were all dark. When viewing without power saving mode, every one, including the original picture I had taken, were all nice and bright. You couldn't tell a difference in any of the pictures so it was obvious that it was the display settings that you are using to view them in.

So thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out. I was really second-guessing myself before seeing this post. I'm extremely happy with my Skyrocket now!!

Reactions: hillucla
Upvote 0
I've attached 2 pictures, one is with the flash on, it's darker and one is with the flash off it is the birghter one. Why does this happen with all my pics? I love the camera in the sunshine, but inside it sucks! I tried turning off the auto adjust screen power and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Attachments

• 20111127_173952.jpg
    20111127_173952.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20111127_174009.jpg
    20111127_174009.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0
I have the same problem you are having.... The indoor pictures are too dark.
And you would think that the flash would make it better. But it's brighter without the flash. But when you dont have the flash on the details are lost in the picture. And not to mention your pictures turn out dark and blue with the flash on. I have the Samsung Galaxy S II.

I've attached 2 pictures, one is with the flash on, it's darker and one is with the flash off it is the birghter one. Why does this happen with all my pics? I love the camera in the sunshine, but inside it sucks! I tried turning off the auto adjust screen power and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem you are having.... The indoor pictures are too dark.
And you would think that the flash would make it better. But it's brighter without the flash. But when you dont have the flash on the details are lost in the picture. And not to mention your pictures turn out dark and blue with the flash on. I have the Samsung Galaxy S II.

If you are getting blue indoor pics you have a defective camera in my opinion.

My issues completely went away when I traded my phone in for another

Upvote 0
Guys I'm getting exactly the same issue. Party/indoor shots with the flash are very dark, and other low light shots are actually brighter without the flash!! It almost seems that the flash is firing before the shutter, resulting in extremely under exposed shots. I'm using a Galaxy S2 and running Gingerbread 2.3.5. I have also checked via the samsung app store, that I have the current version of the camera firmware.

Upvote 0
Mr. Ed, your shots look much better than I had expected. I've only played with the camera a little because I'm a bit of a photographic snob. First, LED is the most horrible type of light you could possibly use for a photo flash. I'd hope they built in some white balance algorithms for it. You sure won't find them in high end stuff although LED rings for lenses used in macro work are becoming common. I'd suspect the best shots will be obtained in outdoor or other bright light conditions. I only recently found all the good stuff tucked away in the "Edit Shortcuts" menu. It's absurd that you can only access 4 of these options at a time by dragging them to the top control bar. Most of my shots suffer from severe camera shake and there appears to be no way to lock the shutter speed at a setting high enough to prevent it in low light, indoor conditions. These should have been more up front and easily accessible.

I just pull out a Canon 7D with an f/2.8 lens, toss it if full manual mode and don't worry about the shot. Of course, it and all the necessary accessories cost me about 8 full priced Skyrockets. I've mentioned I carry a 64G iTouch with me nearly all the time to avoid battery drain on my phone, which I use primarily as a phone. It's great if you need quick access to some information while you're standing in the middle of a store but I don't sit at home, where I am most of the time, browsing the web or listening to music/watching movies on my phone. When I'm not planning on needing a beast like the 7D, I always toss a Canon SD780-IS in my pocket too. 12MP, 1080p video and much more tweekable.

Dang, I want a really good cheeseburger now...

And I haven't been back to The Luxor since I spent 2 weeks there finishing up shooting on a PBS documentary on the USAF Thunderbirds in 2000. I'd say I'm overdue.

Upvote 0
^ I would gladly meet you there haha

We had a blast.

I carry 4 cameras on me just about always but nothing too fancy.

Thank you for the compliments. I am a total newb when it comes to photog but I pick boats and pieces up along the way.

For what it is, the skyrocket can take decent shots but is missing some key settings I have had on other devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones