• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there any alternatives to the default Google Calendar Application?

Hi!

I am looking forward to get my very own G1, but up to now i wasn't able to pick up one because G1 sale in austria will start by the end of January.

There is one major question to me before pre-ordering:
Are there already any alternative Calendar Applications available for the G1? I do not feel comfortable with the fact in mind that Google may potentially be able to read my appointments.

My "dream application" would be a completely offline calendar on the G1 which is able to sync with Mozilla Sunbird/Lightning through my private WiFi-Network. Is any such or similar thing available?

It seems there's coming agendus from iambic which is my favourite PIM-App on palm. Is there anything available already?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :D

Best Regards,
christian

At first I was a little worried about so much info being "in the cloud" but if you think about it every email service I've ever had works the same way. I've never had my email hacked so I'm comfortable with level security google is providing.

I have kept my clubs and group calendars online for years and have had no problem. There are some things in my private calendar that remain strickly local .... so I have had no issue with my NEW google calendar, contacts, and emails being auto-sync'd so easily ... it is actually very very much better than I have had in the past .... and takes away the hassle/headache of keeping web/computer and mobile in perfect sync ...

I do at time turn sync off and just do a manual sync as desire ...

Upvote 0
At first I was a little worried about so much info being "in the cloud" but if you think about it every email service I've ever had works the same way. I've never had my email hacked so I'm comfortable with level security google is providing.
Same here. I actually prefer my Google Calendar. I can share with the wife so she knows if I'm in a meeting at work.

Plus, the Outlook Calendar sync tool is pretty nice.

Upvote 0
Same here. I actually prefer my Google Calendar. I can share with the wife so she knows if I'm in a meeting at work.

Plus, the Outlook Calendar sync tool is pretty nice.

What is that apps name ?... Please provide for the easy reference here. I recall that it would work both directions ... and I thought it worked with other PIM formats than Outlook ??? I could be mistaken ...

Upvote 0
You guys could also think of switching to a Google Apps Premier account which is 50 USD a year. This way your data is not in the google.com index and Premier customers are given a tool that easily syncs Outlook with Google Apps Premier accounts.

I do not have an Apps Premier account myself yet because I'm missing an easy way to migrate but think of getting one.

Smithers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones