• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there any cm/aosp/aokp roms that actually work right

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
I think I've tried every rom out the and they all seem to be like buggy.
GPS is a major issue in a lot of them.....I guess I'm the only one that uses gps regularly....it just has issues locking. The gps fix works but that's good if you don't go far, because once you do it tends to lose lock again or have issues locking, so it's a temp fix, as is the file replacement fix, and the locking on before flashing the rom seems to hit and miss if it works or not.
Other issues I've seen are rotation gets stuck.....as well as sound on most all the cm/aosp/aokp roms, it way to low, and sounds like 20% volume does on twiz roms. I finally found a minimal rom that works great, but the sound is really really low. Unless there is a fix someone knows of to fix the sound issue, I'm out of options. I really want to use the roms but I run into issues......namely the gps issue and if not that and/or the sound/low volume issue.

So I'm wondering if there really is a working rom out there, or maybe it's just this phone? Dunno, if it's the phone maybe think about looking into a S3 in the near future??

Any thoughts or ideas?

In short, they all have some sort of problem once Jelly Bean came in. I gave up trying to find one that worked the way I wanted. TouchWiz just works way better, try Project X.

Yeah. That's one I hadn't tried yet, thanks for the reply. I'm under the same impression, guess maybe I should have settled on a nexus, it's so simplistic but effective. The 5 looks so sweet looking to me, dunno why.

Guess I'll just have to stick with twiz till I find a fix for stuff. I can deal with some quirks here and there but these just seem to be vital areas that it's not working in.

Upvote 0
Either I'm just lucky or something but I'm running cm11 (4.4 build) without any issues. GPS works great (use navigation a ton and use a GPS speedometer all the time)
Volume seems the same if not louder volume than the stock JB ROM.

Xplosion Audio mod made my audio quiet too.

The volume issue is a hit and miss I guess, some roms it worked ok, but the gps lock-on bug was present, sometimes the roms have both, sometimes they have one or the other, and this is with ALL the roms out for this phone for me, tried a slew of them too.
Both issue are very well known problematic issues, and have plagued these roms since cm9 days, so while it works for some, some don't care, some just deal with it, some revert back to touchwiz, but the fact remains the problems are still there.
I jsut would have thought that GPS would have been fixed or at least noticed by now, but I guess as CJ said, buy a garmin or tomtom, and don't worry bout gps.....of corse that's not an option for me, so I guess I'll have to stick with touchwiz (as much as I really do not like it) simply because it just works.

By chance do you keep gps on all the time, or do you toggle it on and off as needed?

Upvote 0
I leave it on as turning it off didn't help battery life much & with my speedometer in my truck being missed up I'm using GPS all the time for a speedometer + navigation .

That's probably why you have good luck with it then, it never has a chance to unlock.
I had to give it up due to the wonky 3g stuff.
Seemed like everything else worked though including GPS in that version.

I'm using the latest cm build for this phone though, looks as if the volume is fixed now or at least in this nightly release. Sound is at the same level as touchwiz was.

So far GPS works but until Monday I won't be able to test it.

Anyone know how to clear Google maps cache to test with?

Upvote 0
What ROM you using? Cm11 villum 12/7 build?

I think so yeah......I also had the same issue with hood pope though......could have been the modem I was on too. May give KK a try once again and test it.

At the time I think I was useing either fl27 or fl22, but I found out that fl24 is the latest, even though the number is lower than fl27 lol, oh well.....anyways I'm gonna give the 07 release a shot see what happens.

As for the gps and battery, have you given it an extensive testing at all? only reason I ask is some people just use it 3-4 hrs and think that's thorough enough......I wanna be absolutely sure something is working before I say it's not or is before I make judgement. On some things it's fine, but on others IE: battery drainage/usage that has to take time, one example being the roms take time to settle in so ta speak.....as a norm this has been true for me in most cases, so it may take a couple days before things settle in and work themselves out.

I know I've tested this theory on the roms and settling in because I've had some cm roms that give me utterly horrid battery life, and I have an extended battery too, yet the battery drains like in a day from 100% to around 30% or less, in a matter of 8 hours.......if I give it time to adjust and stuff it finally evens out giving me the normal battery life as before after a couple of days. Some roms don't experience this at all though, not sure why some do and some do not.

I can get (depending on usage of corse) but I can get on moderate-heavy usage around a good 12-14 hrs, on heavy I get around 5-8 hrs, depending again of corse on what I do......watching YouTube videos can drain it fast, as can rebooting a lot. Keep in mind this IS an extended battery I'm on.

Upvote 0
Yeah. It's hard to tell if it's an L or an I. Sorry

On a really good note I FINALLY found a Rom that works for me!!!!

Cm 10.1 android 4.3.1 dec 14th release. I'm ecstatic, as if ya couldn't tell :). Wish I could, or knew how...to add in the customization ofthe other roms into this rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones