• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there any good 4.0.4 Roms out there?

alextop30

Android Expert
Oct 5, 2010
Windy City of Chicago
With my extreme dislike of the official ICS rom for the T-mobile T989 Samsung galaxy s2, I have started moving much more to the developer side of the phone use. I have been looking around to find a good rom for our device using the latest and greatest of ICS - as far as I know the latest version of ICS released by google is 4.0.4 which makes numerous improvements on 4.0.3. Most notably battery and speed improvements. Most roms I find are either variation of Gingerbread or 4.0.3 ICS.

Are there any good roms that you have found to work with 4.0.4 and do not have very significant drawbacks?

Well I will try to sell my phone to one of my friends and if that fails I will keep it for now or just offer someone to trade it for the Galaxy Nexus. Maybe than I can get google wallet with the NFC thing to work. But that is in the future.

The question still stands though if anyone knows of any rom that uses 4.0.4 and that is not in like really early alpha I wanna try it so please suggest it!!!

Upvote 0
I have to say my brother bought the galaxy nexus today from Verizon and the phone runs 4.0.4 like butter. It is absolutely a shame that a phone as popular as the t989 does not have a 4.0.4 goodness. Real shame, I have one more year contract and I will never buy a carrier device. Seems to me that by that time the new Google phone should be coming out.

Upvote 0
I reccomend going to AOKP's main site (Android Open Kang Project). These guys have amazing Roms in general. The one Im currently running is so smooth. Its also nice to know that you can even upgrade yourself straight to Jelly Bean very soon. There are two downsides though. First is that you have to make a backup of your entire phone to get all the apps and everything back (That is if you have Clockwork Mod and are fully rooted). The onther downside of these Roms is that you have to download the google apps file and flash that so you can have the Play Store to redownload the apps you backed up. After maybe a few minutes of customizing, it'll prolly be better than most phones running 4.0.4 right now. :)

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
I personally do a lot backups both nandroid off of clockworkmod and titanium backup. Also this speaks to the fact that I am rooted. I cannot stand my device being locked so yes rooted. Next I am currently try dark side rom and it is working pretty good. No studers no lags and 2 day battery life on 4.0.3 I think I will wait on AOKP to get to 4.1 and I will try them out. I was just very surprised there is no 4.0.4 for our device as this update to ICS has been out for a while. Apparently the official one is in the works soo it ought to be interesting especially with jellybean coming out and being integrated into the custom roms.

Upvote 0
I saw this one but it seems to still have quite a lot of bugs running around and it is not very ideal as a daily driver. I think I will keep to the dark side 4.0.3 evolution until the 4.0.4 gets the bugs ironed out. It looks very promising and thanks a lot for the heads up!
I use the 4.0.4 Darkside ROM as a daily ROM! The best part about this ROM is the battery improvements! I get 20% more battery life on this ROM then any other 4.0.3 ROM! I am currently developing a SpaceROM that is on the latest 4.0.4! Check it out if you want (It is on the ROM List link i just gave you). It is AOSP themed :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones