1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Are there differint GSM versions out there and do some of them support US 3G/4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by peppers, Sep 11, 2011.

1. peppers

peppers Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    I've decided I would like this phone but of course being a UK release I am unsure about a few things.

I know all of them are quad band phones so I will have not problem with GSM now what kind of HSPA signals they can use is in question for me.

Some of the ebay sellers list it as compatable with all bands, some list them as compatable with UK only bands. I know ebay sellers often ether don't know what the hell there talkin about or just like to lie in order to help trick people into buying stuff.

So my questions are is there more than one version of the GSM version of this phone?

If not will it be compatable with US 3g/4g? (I use att but switching to t-moble would not be out of the question)

If there is more than one version how would I know witch one to buy in order to get what I want?

Advertisement

2. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    there is the UK version and the US version.

US version works on CDMA ONLY! it does not work on any other flavor.

the US version does not have a SIM card either.

read earlier in this thread for more info. Were are you located?

3. peppers

peppers Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    I know the US version is a sprint cmda phone but it dose not mean I can't import a gsm version. I'm in the usa as I said.

the imported gms version will work fine in gsm mode anywhere in the world but it can also do HSPA transmissions in order for 3g and 4g to work but not nessaseryally the same frequency we use here in the states, I need to know... well what I asked before.

I don't know why you hid my post in this topic, sure its related but it dose not belong here and just decreases the chances of someone who knows the answer seeing it. I don't wanna be disrespectful but...

4. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    your post is not hid sir /ma'am.

what is your question here? if you are in the US it makes sense to get the sprint version. You seem to know the differences based on your post...

also, if you want to post up an ebay auction as an example of what you are saying that would help.

As stated there are just two flavors of this handset.. CDMA and GSM. This thread speaks about that.

EDIT: re-reading your post, it seems you dont want to move to Sprint and want to stay on a GSM carrier? GSM is GSM so if you want to use a UK version on a GSM carrier, you should not have an issue.

5. peppers

peppers Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    GSM is not the issue HSPA is witch is required for 3g and 4g, witch dose run on different frequencys and often uk phones will not include frequencys we use here in the states. hence the question

aslo different frequencys are used in UK than the US for gms as well so the staement "gsm is gsm" is not correct ether but I do know for a fact this is a quad band phone for the gsm frequencys so that is not an issue here.

6. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    hi,

im on your side here. im trying to get a bearing on what you are really asking.

you are not going to get 4G freqs on a UK designed phone in the US. perhaps if you root and flash the proper radio, it could be possible. as you state there are differences in the freq bands. I paraphrased above which gave off an incorrect meaning and i apologize about that.

seems you are answering your own question. its highly unlikely the UK version will be on the proper freqs to utilize HSPDA (4G) on ATT or TMO.

an email direct into HTC will give you the best answer.

EDIT: additional threads you may find info on: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/401464-sprint-clean-esn-gsm-works-europe.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/307585-why-evo3d-limited-sprint-usa.html

EDIT: more digging. Perhaps TMO may get a GSM version, FCC docs are here: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=223051&fcc_id='NM8PG86300'

7. peppers

peppers Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    According to some ebay sellers (not a reliable source of information) there are different regional releases of the evo 3d gsm version and some of them do include the correct bands. I do not know if this is true or not.

also there may have been some arie of hostility in my posts, this is not intentional just simply a result of the antisocial state of mind i'm in at the moment.

8. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    I would not trust any eBay seller over what the manufacture states.

That said, looking at the FCC docs posted above it lists the GSM bands that underwent testing:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1490972

i dont think anything is out yet other than the UK version and the US. so any of the GSM htc evo 3D handsets you see on fleabay are most likely UK only versions.

still, id give HTC a shout. There customer service is excellent. otherwise, as the work week starts others may post here....

9. peppers

peppers Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    I have found there is a version of this phone on the market that dose have the 1700MHz frequency therefore it should be compatible with t-moble but its would still be missing at&t's 1900. This version is supposedly regionally released to Australia and the UK version only has the European frequencys 900 and 2100.

Tags: