• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there really going to be lines at BB, RS, and Sprint on opening day?

tracerit

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Orange County, CA
I imagine there would be 2-3 people at a time, most of them all enthusiasts like ourselves but since there hasn't been any advertising for this phone at all (wth sprint!), i can't imagine people lining up early for the phone. It'd be cool to see some pictures of these lines if you're in one, unfortunately I'll be working already :/

Were there any lines for the Pre when it came out? I think at least the Pre had commercials before release?

I will be very interested to see how the sales numbers are for this phone. Not just on opening weekend but in the end.

I just dont see any commercials with this phone at all. The reality is that so many people that are considering getting a phone will have no idea this phone exist. I would have liked to see sprint have model phones for customers to play with in malls and stores for the last month. If they ever want to compete on the mass market side then they are going to have to figure out how to market a product. Look at the Pre. What a terrible group of ads. Some pale washed out creepy lady popping her head out of some corn field..... wtf?

Set up kiosks in malls with a huge demo display. Let people see it and touch it. Let them ooooh and aaaahh over it in front of others.

Upvote 0
I imagine there would be 2-3 people at a time, most of them all enthusiasts like ourselves but since there hasn't been any advertising for this phone at all (wth sprint!), i can't imagine people lining up early for the phone. It'd be cool to see some pictures of these lines if you're in one, unfortunately I'll be working already :/

Were there any lines for the Pre when it came out? I think at least the Pre had commercials before release?

Since the BB I pre-ordered at decided not to do appointments and are letting people come in at random, if they pre-ordered, I'm going early just so that I can get to work relatively on time.

Good thing is, they're opening early (8am) on Friday, so I'll probably just go get some coffee and hang around there from 6am on. Hopefully those two hours will go by quickly.

Upvote 0
Depends on where you are. I am in the OC in Cali. There are traffic and lines for EVERYTHING out here. iphone sales, ipad, movie tickets, concert tickets...you name it :rolleyes: I am not going to take my chances since there are not many Sprint stores in this area. I am always up till 3-4am anyways. Think I may pull an all nighter and go by the store around 3 or 4 and see if there is a line and get into it or be first

Upvote 0
Depends on where you are. I am in the OC in Cali. There are traffic and lines for EVERYTHING out here. iphone sales, ipad, movie tickets, concert tickets...you name it :rolleyes: I am not going to take my chances since there are not many Sprint stores in this area. I am always up till 3-4am anyways. Think I may pull an all nighter and go by the store around 3 or 4 and see if there is a line and get into it or be first

Be careful you dont get the cops called on you creeping around a store in the middle of the night. Imagine that....haha.:)

Upvote 0
I'm in NY (Westchester ~ burbs) and I checked with both BB and they said they're not opening early. 10 am normal business hours. I wonder if that means that they didn't pre-sell a certain amount. I'll be there at 8:30 and if theres no line I'll go get some Starbucks.

What's surprising to me is that other BB out of state are opening early. WTF.
You would think one of the largest markets in the US for Sprint would have negotiated an early opening. Oh well.

Upvote 0

My plans exactly. I'll be lining up in Irvine. You?

Upvote 0
I seriously doubt it. Even for the Pre, which had quite a bit more ads than the Evo (and even that wasn't enough, IMO), it was relatively easy to get a Pre on launch day, at least at the store I went into.

What bugs me a bit are all these reports of a "Radio Shack manager" claming 200k/500k Evo pre-orders, which creates all kinds of false claims spreading around the net.

I'm sure that by lunch time Friday, we'll all look back on this and have a hearty laugh. While enjoying our new Evos.

(FTR: I did not pre-order and will just walk into the half dozen or so Sprint stores at opening and come back home to work. I seriously doubt it I'll be productive, though) ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones