1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Are these apps safe? Concerned.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ZingXao, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ZingXao

ZingXao Well-Known Member

So I love Back to the Future. I wanted to have one of the themes from the film used as my ringtone, and I specifically liked this edited version of one of the scores on this video;

The original NIKE MAG 2011 was worn by the Back to the Future character Marty McFly - YouTube

So, since I own the original version on my phone which I bought, I attempted editing it using Ringtone Maker.

I attempted to edit it. It only offered me basic editing, so I tried other apps that were similar. Nothing let me splice clips together, so I figured the best way would be to download the MP3 from the video.

I tried TubeMate which apparently lets you download the MP3 straight from the video. It didn't work, so I downloaded the MP4 video file.

I then found a converter in the form of Mp3 Media Converter and ran that. It said I needed a codec, which I tried to bypass, but it insisted I download it before I could convert the file. I said okay, and it gave me the option to download it from the Google Play Store or online. I chose the first option. I downloaded and installed the ffmpeg codec arm vs neon, and it converted my file to audio.

However, afterwards I started receiving notifications for apps to download such as Mario Kart Racing and then external ads were appearing in my notification bar from 'battery enhancers' and stuff. I opened one to see if it would take me to the Play Store, as the others had, but it started taking me online with an iffy looking URL. I quit it before it loaded. I then uninstalled all of the apps I had downloaded apart from 'Ringtone Maker', and then edited the converted track into a ringtone. It then automatically saved it into my ringtones, with my default HTC ones. I then removed that app, and deleted the original converted app.

I have Lookout installed, but am still wondering whether all these apps were safe, along with the ads that were appearing on my phone? Also, is the Ringtone Maker safe in saving a converted file into my default HTC system sounds?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just noticed on one of my screen there's a about 4 icons I hadn't put there. Two of them being 'Top Offers', and linking me to http://www.leadboltapps.com/web/.. not the home page, I just know that it directs me to somewhere relating to that site. Same with http://www.handango.com/info/Partner.jsp, and two links to the Mario Kart game in the Play Store.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Lookout wont do anything in keeping you safe. Those ads in the notification bar are "airpush ads". You just have to remove the app that came with them.

You should have done it on a PC, its would have made things easier. LOL.

3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert

Addons Detector will tell you which app is airpush or leadbolt.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

You should use LookOut's 'Ad Network Detector' for finding this app that pushes this AirPush/LeadBolt notifications.

LookOut says this notifications are aggressive advertising and not malware.
    So LookOut's security app doesn't search for apps with an AirPush/LeadBolt addons.

Harry

5. ZingXao

Thanks for your replies.

Lol, yeah it probably would have been easier if I'd just done it on my computer, but I wanted to see if it could all be done on a phone.

I have Ad Network Detector installed, and since I removed the media converter app, along with the codec, I haven't received the ad notifications. But I still ran Ad Network Detector, and it pulled up some apps that use ads, but they're reputable apps, such as Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Draw Something etc. and those don't bother me so much. It was the media converter and codec that worried me, with all the icons it put on my home screen and the ads in my notification bar.

Either way, since I've uninstalled the media converter app, as well as the code, along with the youtube downloader app and the ringtone app (which I think was safe anyway), so my phone is now clean? How about the ringtone that was converted and then saved into my ringtones, is that clean?

6. ZingXao

Forgot to say. Before I uninstalled the apps, I didn't clear the cache etc.

From everything I've said, and with the ringtone that was converted, saved with the default ringtones, is my phone clean?

Sorry for the double post.

7. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

My opinion at this issue:
    - AirPush and LeadBold are aggressive advertising, so the converting app quite likely just used their addon and wasn't malware.
    - The codec was from Market/Play Store and was likely clean.
    - LookOut's security didn't found any trojans :)

So your phone probably is clean.
    But for the next weeks I'd have a close look at my SMS log.

Hope this helps.

Harry

8. HamptonCaught

HamptonCaught Member

It's not answering your question and may not be what you want anyway, but out of interest, Zedge is a huge collection of wallpapers, ringtones and notification sounds. It's free and there are definitely Back to the Future clips in there.