1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Are Virgin top up cardd like Trac fone cards

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pocketwatch, Sep 15, 2011.

1. pocketwatch

pocketwatch Lurker

I Looked for a thread about this but didn't find one. Are the top up cards that VM use anything like the Trac fone cards to buy mins or are they a totally different thing? I like to use my Optimus as a fone and not just as ipod touch like device.

Advertisement

2. Typically they are. Of course, with the Android devices, there's a monthly fee. That's taken out of your account balance.

The main difference is that where TracFone uses cards to purchase 'units', Virgin Mobile just has a cash balance that you can add too. Each type of communication (calling, texts, picture messages, web) costs a different amount which subtracts from your balance. But of course with these Android devices, the lowest possible plan includes unlimited data/text/web. The time that you talk on the phone is subtracted from your "minute pack" that you purchased ($35 for 300, $45 for 500, $55 for unlimited) for that month out of your current account balance.

Sorry if that is more complicated than it needs to be. lol

3. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

If you had a regular mobile phone (non-smart phone) you could use Virgin's PayLo service, in which case the Top-Up card would act like a Trac card. But Virgin requires (and rightly so) the Optimus V and other smart phone (Triumph and Intercept) to be on their Beyond Talk plans which all have unlimited data and text.