• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

are we ever getting gingerbread?

Well, the wife's Intercept is going away. Last night it stopped connecting to any wifi, and can't read the SD card anymore (although her card reads fine in my phone). I've done the homework for selecting her next phone, looks like for our budget (and a little bit borrowed from her parents) we'll be getting her the Wildfire S. It's only $20 more than the OV, and from a pure hardware standpoint, it's almost the exact same thing as an OV, with a few upgrades. Better camera /w flash, FM radio, ships with Gingerbread. Any opinions on this handset?

Upvote 0
the wildfire is a good phone, from what i understand.its like a slim abd sleek optimus v, but better lol.
(on a sid not, my laptop was held together by eletrical tape, untill it commited suicide, literally, the tape gave way after about 6 or so months, the lid fell backwards, bringing it to a free fall, the lid/screwn became seperated from the main body of the laptop, landed on the ground, screen side ip, and the main body came crashing down, shattering the screen, from a 2 or 3 foot drop)
back on topic, i do believe that VM will release an update, but not an over air update, but instead make customers purchase a new V that is shipped with ginger bread

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
Thanks for the opinion, stalker, and sorry about your lappy. That seems to be a common issue among us OV users. Yours died of tape failure, Andy had to sell his, mine over heats so much you could bake a potato on the gpu. And yet here we all are, happily computing away on our brave little OV's. I'm getting the mini bluetooth keyboard soon, and I've already gotten Quake III Arena to run on my phone (you need hardware controls for it) so my gaming needs will be met!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the opinion, stalker, and sorry about your lappy. That seems to be a common issue among us OV users. Yours died of tape failure, Andy had to sell his, mine over heats so much you could bake a potato on the gpu. And yet here we all are, happily computing away on our brave little OV's.

Mine's still in like new condition heh. After having several neighbors in my apartment complex back home and various friends bringing me their lappies to remove spyware/trojans and the like, I got to test out several different brands of laptops. I settled on a little Dell Inspiron 1545. I chose this one because the darn thing never gets hot. It's a nice sleek little laptop perfect for watching movies, surfing the net, and checking emails (I don't believe in "gaming laptops"... no such thing). At any rate, I use my lappy downstairs for ordering our groceries from PeaPod, and my gaming rig upstairs for, well, gaming and work.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same situation money wise, I just got plain burnt out and haven't been working much in the last year and half. My mid tower computer that WAS kind of fast back in 2005 took a dump, figured out it was the power supply. So a while back I ended up getting a Lenovo s10 t3 (was only like $300) and that's my only computer. It's great though I love it, I have like a little docking area on my desk where I plug in the monitor, ext hd's, and dongle for key and mouse. I'd kind of like to get a Triumph some day but you know people having trouble with those, probably have my V a long time but that's ok cause it rocks now!

Upvote 0
Fair enough, you'd definitely get faster replies! The thing is, the only reason to root is if you're not happy with your phone. I've never gotten that impression from your posts, so I really don't see a need. I had to, I had outgrown my phone before I made it out of the store with it. That's why I'll give advice, and help people who decide to root, but I won't try to make that decision for them. It isn't mine to make, I've already made mine.

Upvote 0
Why is this ridiculous? LG and Virgin Mobile have no obligation to update our phones to Gingerbread. That isn't an issue of support, it's an upgrade. Our phones were designed before GB was released, therefore we aren't entitled to the upgrade. If they decide to release an update for us, it's because their being nice, not because they automatically have to. And yes, I do think we'll get it, if we are patient. If you don't want to wait, then root your phone like I did. If you don't want to root, then wait. LG and VM aren't on these boards, griping about it here won't make any difference.

Actually, Google has laid out upgrade paths for all phones that use Android. The manufacturers are supposed to upgrade them within an 18 month period, but then the carriers get in the middle of everything. This is supposed to be part of the whole "Google Experience" that is running on the Optimus V.

Even if VM does not want to "pay" for an OTA update, LG could still issue an update that required a computer and USB cable. Other manufacturers have gone this route - Samsung I think.

All this is speculation. The Optimus V works fine out of the box. Gingerbread would be nice, but my main concern is security updates. This is where VM and Sprint should be concerned. A security hole in Android could cause major havoc on Sprint's network, so it is in their best interests to at least issue security patches for Froyo on the Optimus V. I do not know of any open security issues, but there a probably open issues for the version of Android running on the Optimus V.

Upvote 0
A security hole in Android could cause major havoc on Sprint's network, so it is in their best interests to at least issue security patches for Froyo on the Optimus V.

I can assure you, a security threat of that nature would not remain quiet in the android community. That type of news would be everywhere, and a fix pushed by carriers. Google would do the same thing they did last time there was a vulnerability... press release.

Reactions: agentc13
Upvote 0
Actually, Google has laid out upgrade paths for all phones that use Android. The manufacturers are supposed to upgrade them within an 18 month period, but then the carriers get in the middle of everything. This is supposed to be part of the whole "Google Experience" that is running on the Optimus V.

Even if VM does not want to "pay" for an OTA update, LG could still issue an update that required a computer and USB cable. Other manufacturers have gone this route - Samsung I think.

All this is speculation. The Optimus V works fine out of the box. Gingerbread would be nice, but my main concern is security updates. This is where VM and Sprint should be concerned. A security hole in Android could cause major havoc on Sprint's network, so it is in their best interests to at least issue security patches for Froyo on the Optimus V. I do not know of any open security issues, but there a probably open issues for the version of Android running on the Optimus V.

It's not that they don't want to they can't not even with the site update. The update mechanism was broken when they had the software changed to block the LG site updater.

Reactions: UnixPimp
Upvote 0
^I never noticed that either, lol. :eek:

Unless I'm completely reading you wrong, you seem to be under the impression that the person I was referring to couldn't possibly be you. :p

Oh! I could walk you through installing the rom over the phone as long as you had the same recovery I use. It's the rooting and installing the recovery that makes me nervous... this is strictly due to the fact that I've only gone through the steps of rooting once, and installing the recovery twice. But the rom, I've flashed so many times I can do it in my sleep. I'm comfy and confident with that bit. :p

Upvote 0
Not to beat a dead horse into the ground but this is why I don't own a lappy I've had the same desktop for 4 years but it was first running vista now its rocking 7 ultimate

normally i would just "tuna burger?" this, but this time i have to ask... i'm not seeing the connection...

WTH does a windows laptop vs desktop debate have to do with the question carrier/manufacturer's ability or plans to update a phone's OS ? None of which has anything to do with microsoft or PCs ? I'm hoping there is something i missed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones