• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

are we ever getting gingerbread?

Its been a while since gingerbread and the OpV have come out.
This is rediculous, I should not have to root my phone to get something that the phone should already have.
Do you think we will ever get it?
!!!
Why is this ridiculous? LG and Virgin Mobile have no obligation to update our phones to Gingerbread. That isn't an issue of support, it's an upgrade. Our phones were designed before GB was released, therefore we aren't entitled to the upgrade. If they decide to release an update for us, it's because their being nice, not because they automatically have to. And yes, I do think we'll get it, if we are patient. If you don't want to wait, then root your phone like I did. If you don't want to root, then wait. LG and VM aren't on these boards, griping about it here won't make any difference.

Upvote 0
If you understood Virgin Mobile's business strategy,you would realize an over the air update that costs them money( they have to pay for the development,pushing the update,etc.), ain't gonna happen. If gingerbread comes out it will be on a new phone.

I totally get that VM customers are not Sprint customers, and i really don't give a rat's anus if i never get gingerbread [i'm coming from an assurance wireless kyocera candybar POS that reboots every time i touch the volume up key]
BUT i do have one question regarding VM's costs and such associated with the upgrade.

The Optimus S has Gingerbread, no ? It's been just about 3 months or so now. [not that that's applicable really.] What would need to be done by VM/otherwise to move it to the V ? Honest question ! It seems like it'd take minor VM-specific tweaks and the push itself... But then i really have no clue :-/

Reactions: godsdragon
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you understood Virgin Mobile's business strategy,you would realize an over the air update that costs them money( they have to pay for the development,pushing the update,etc.), ain't gonna happen. If gingerbread comes out it will be on a new phone.

Never say never, Andy. People said the exact same thing about the Intercept getting updated. Granted it wasn't to the latest version, but it did indeed get an update. And that's the biggest piece of crap android that they have, so I wouldn't discount the OpV for an update. ;)

Upvote 0
Never say never, Andy. People said the exact same thing about the Intercept getting updated. Granted it wasn't to the latest version, but it did indeed get an update. And that's the biggest piece of crap android that they have, so I wouldn't discount the OpV for an update. ;)
Uh, ever play with a Motorola Citrus? That craptastic lump of polypropelene, silicon, and hatred makes my wifes Intercept look like a Galaxy IIs!

Upvote 0
The Wikipedia entry on the LG Optimus family of phones claims that on December 4 Virgin Mobile announced that the Optimus V would get 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 in mid 2012. However, there is no citation for this information, so I'm quite suspicious.
Yeah, well according to Wikipedia, I was the king of France in 2008. So there ya go :)

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
Last night I flashed it with bROM 1.3 and it's already much better. I'm sorry, I know you're not a fan of rooting, but we just don't have the money for upgrades. Chances are we will have both of these phones until they're so old they won't even power on anymore. That's why my laptop is held together with duct tape. I wish that was a joke.

Upvote 0
Last night I flashed it with bROM 1.3 and it's already much better. I'm sorry, I know you're not a fan of rooting, but we just don't have the money for upgrades. Chances are we will have both of these phones until they're so old they won't even power on anymore. That's why my laptop is held together with duct tape. I wish that was a joke.

Heard that's good. It does have a 1% battery mod. Sorry for side track, inside joke.

Upvote 0

I hear ya about the money...I was half joking when I said I probably wouldn't have my V by mid-2012, only 'cause the thing is pissing me off so much the last few days it's taken all my resolve not to throw it against the wall.

It's not that I'm not a fan of rooting; just a fan of whatever works for each person, and up til now not rooting has worked really well for me. I'm starting to rethink that, maybe (see above, lol). Now don't everyone start bugging me at once. :p I'm still not doing it until my warranty is up, if ever.

Upvote 0
I hear ya about the money...I was half joking when I said I probably wouldn't have my V by mid-2012, only 'cause the thing is pissing me off so much the last few days it's taken all my resolve not to throw it against the wall.

It's not that I'm not a fan of rooting; just a fan of whatever works for each person, and up til now not rooting has worked really well for me. I'm starting to rethink that, maybe (see above, lol). Now don't everyone start bugging me at once. :p I'm still not doing it until my warranty is up, if ever.

My 90 day warranty was up as well

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones