1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Are we THAT stupid Samsung?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mkwoolley, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mkwoolley

mkwoolley Lurker
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    First there was the Behold fiasco. Then all the Samsung apologists said, oh, samsung has learned their lesson. REALLY....

I don't know who to blame and who to, therefore, quit... I THINK its Samsung. The phone (without rooting and installing modded ROMs) is a piece of iPhone knock-off crap. (I hate Touchpiss because, yes Apple you are right, it freaking looks like iOS).

I bought the damn phone in July of 2010. We were promised a 2.2 update shortly. It was like 6 months later to finally get that POS.
    Then we are told IN MARCH via samsung twitter etc. that 2.3 would be coming soon. (Yes, the Vibrant was mentioned specifically). It's been ANOTHER 6 months and NOTHING.

I AM DONE WITH SAMSUNG.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.
    Tell me if Samsung has had the 2.3 update waiting for 6 months, and it's "T-mobiles fault."
    Tell me they have learned their lesson.
    #neveragain

Advertisement

2. DrPennington

DrPennington Member
    None

Sep 12, 2010
    Custom roms are your friend guy! Samsung won't miss you!

3. aneftp

aneftp Member
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    DC/Orlando
    The short answer to your question is: Yes we are that stupid.

It's highly doubtful T-mobile Vibrant owners will get an official 2.3 update. The Vibrant has been discontinued since Feb 2011 in favor of the SGS 4G (even though it's the same freaking phone with the FFC that was removed in the Vibrant and a faster HSPA plus chip and fixed GPS chip).

I personally would not even touch and future Samsung phones (on contract) until Ice Cream Sandwich is preinstalled. Why? I think beginning with Android 4.0, Google has demanded that manufactures fully support timely software updates to the lastest Android OS for at least 18 months after their release date.

Think about it. Samsung has zero incentive to release updates after selling the phone. They don't get a cut of the profit from Android market (google does and the developers get a cut)

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, I am THAT stupid.

I'm never getting an official 2.3 upgrade to the Vibrant.

I even went out and got a Galaxy S 4G for another line of service.

Fool me twice............

I'm done with Samsung. I got my DX the same week as the Vibrant. I got 2.2 months before 2.2 on the Vibrant and got 2.3 months ago.

At least it does appear as if Samsung is working on a 2.3 build for the GS4G.

And yes, Samsung does have some incentive to provide future updates. The incentive is that people will stop buying their phones if they know they don't get future updates. Yes, I know it's probably very few people, probably not enough to offset the savings they get by blowing off updates, but eventually if they are always falling behind updates and others update, it'll catch up to them.