• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Are X problems the norm?

Have you returned one yet?

• No problems at all

Votes: 55 56.7%
  • No problems significant enough for return

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • Returned one

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Returned one more than once

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
So I have a new X on order to be here around the 18th. But I keep reading on here about problems with them like dead pixels (software and hardware), lines across the bottom of the screen, freeze ups, sluggishness, speaker buzz, bad sound quality, etc.

Was just wondering how many of you are happy with your X as opposed to the ones who have had to return one for an issue like one of the above.

my camera just went dead worked one day the next blank. Have a new one coming but didn't get tracking number like I should have. Need to call.

I've had more trouble with VZW people telling me something different every time I talk to one than I've had with the X... so far.

If the national average works out to be like this poll VZ and Motorola have a problem.

Upvote 0
All of the problems mentioned in the original post here have certainly been encountered by some folks. I think most all these problems were just cases where folks got a bad phone and just had to get a replacement phone. Motorola and Verizon acknowledged the screen problems and corrected that already. A software upgrade that already went out corrected some other issues.

I have not seen any problems with my replacement phone. That is as long as I don't want to listen to music or watch videos. Because the sound volume is too low on this phone. I called Motorola today, but I know they will not call me back.

This sound issue needs to be corrected and I hope others on here are letting Verizon and Motorola know it needs to be addressed and fixed. Can software fix this? Games played on the DX are loud. Shouldn't that mean something can be done to corrected this with software?

I sure hope so. Let them know folks. I'm afraid some folks are going to return their phones within the 30 days if this isn't corrected. I don't want to myself, but I'm not going to live with this volume if it is a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
Here's the thing...

You will ALWAYS encounter more people posting on forums about problems than about working products simply because they want answers to their problems. My DX works just fine but I'm not about to post something like "DX: every button works and screen has no dead pixels - GREAT SUCCES!". Instead I'll post something like "Speaker sucks and dead pixels galore - Anyone share my pain?".

So out of the relatively few threads you've read on here about problems, put that into perspective of how many users you're NOT hearing from. Should give you a good idea of the quality of the product. Does this mean the DX is invincible? Not by any means. It is an electronic product and considering the number of variables that could go wrong inside it, there is a possibility you will get a faulty product. Is it beyond what you'd expect from any other consumer good? Probably not.

In other words: GET YOURSELF A DX AND HAVE SOME FUN! :D

Reactions: thehaggis
Upvote 0
Here's the thing...

You will ALWAYS encounter more people posting on forums about problems than about working products simply because they want answers to their problems. My DX works just fine but I'm not about to post something like "DX: every button works and screen has no dead pixels - GREAT SUCCES!". Instead I'll post something like "Speaker sucks and dead pixels galore - Anyone share my pain?".

So out of the relatively few threads you've read on here about problems, put that into perspective of how many users you're NOT hearing from. Should give you a good idea of the quality of the product. Does this mean the DX is invincible? Not by any means. It is an electronic product and considering the number of variables that could go wrong inside it, there is a possibility you will get a faulty product. Is it beyond what you'd expect from any other consumer good? Probably not.

In other words: GET YOURSELF A DX AND HAVE SOME FUN! :D

Took the words right out of my mouth. At least someone had the patience to type that out. ;)

Upvote 0
I've had none of the issues with my X except the overblown 'dead pixel' 'issue' with the camera software that causes no problems whatsoever for me. It's just a software glitch that will probably be taken care of in another update.

Look at any forum on a hot product and you'll find the same thing: the normal assortment of people with legit issues, whiners and noobs. That's forum life. Like others have said, you'd mostly see the negative stuff which forums naturally amplify. Go to the official Apple forums and checkout the iPhone 4 sub forum. 80% of what you see are complaints.

Upvote 0
Only had mine for about 24 hrs now but so far loving it! Lot of new features to learn though but I'm getting the hang of it. Only down side I see so far is it could stand to be a little louder..... had to set the volume to max and pick a ringtone I could hear. Hopefully they're working on that one as I've seen several people having the same problems. Battery life is good on mine so far. They're worth the wait.

Upvote 0
I have no issues with mine. Before the update my signal went haywire in the middle of the night. That may have been Battery Manager settings I didnt pay attention to. After the .604 update my reception went haywire for a day, that fixed itself.

I got a Droid in April and had none of the issues others were having. I thought I had the infamous mute issue, but like with my X the problem just went away. Maybe when 2.1 came out it fixed it...who knows.

I have yet to return a phone for a defect in over 5 years...the streak is still going....lol In that time frame I had the Motorola E815, some Nokia or Samsung phone, the Samsung u740, the Samsung Omnia 1, the Droid and the X.

(Actually I lost the u740 and the replacement had a bad ESN, I couldnt activate it. I guess that counts as a defect.)

Upvote 0
I'm waiting on my third. First had the flicker on bottom half of the screen, second has a dead/stuck pixel on the bottom center of the screen. I thought hard about returning this second one but I usually have a dark or black wallpaper and its visible on every screen including lock. If I have problems with the third I'll probably hold off on the X and wait for something else to come out or get another X in a month or two.

Upvote 0
Why are folks returning their phones for probable software problems that most certainly willl be fixed soon? My first phone died after being activated 15 minutes and was obviously just a bad phone. It was a definite hardware problem that no software or firmware release would resolve. So I had to get a replacement phone.

My replacement phone has been perfectly fine other than I am not satisfied with the volume of the DX. I DO NOT believe this phone has a problem. So I am certainly not giving it up until I have evidence the sound issue can not and will not be able to be resolved.

Please hurry though Motorola and Verizon and get me an answer. :) I've had my phone 12 days now. This issue must be resolved IMO. I'm not deaf. The speaker volume just sucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones