1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Are you 'blown away' by your GS2...?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sak01, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I got one for my bro-in-law yesterday and gave it a good play around while setting it up for him. Great phone. Powerful and the screen is really nice to look at.

I'm not an owner but in answering my own survey, it meets my expectations and is clearly ahead of the competition if not blowing it away. Only the Sensation comes close.

Personally, when I compare them I'm still happy with my rooted Desire so I'm not compelled to switch but I wouldn't say no to a GS2

Advertisement

2. brillo40

brillo40 Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    England
    I was using iphone before getting the SGS2, love just about everything so far after two weeks use. Only gripe was on the music I transfered some of the tracks were listed as 'unknown' and some album covers were replaced with default pictures ??

After reading a thread on another forum about audio file naming, and downloading Mediafix from the market place to correct all your 'unknown' tracks, I found 'Album Art Grabber' which you can use to find all the correct album covers for your Music :cool:

My music now has the proper album covers instead of the crappy ones the phone inserted instead

I love this Phone :D and is uber fab :cool:

3. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    After about a month, I can say I'm still blown away. The speed is incredible, as is the GPS, and the general usability of the phone. IT still looks amazing, and is a very reliable device, and I think my battery is getting better!

(or I've stopped being paranoid and started using it quite heavily and realising that it easily lasts a long day!)

^^ I urge others to do the same! :p

4. taxi/man/derry

None

Jun 21, 2011
    taxi/man
    derry/londonderry/ireland
    I am the same as you the phone is great, battery is like is crap.

5. sleeco

sleeco Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Leeds UK.
    Hi, i'm blown away by the screen, i downloaded a short HD film called Big Buck Bunny, and the picture is fantastic.

6. andromatix

andromatix Member
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    Male
    Sales
    Canada
    Hi all, not sure where to start but I chose this thread....

I'm new to android. Had a brief stint with the Xperia X10 then switched to iPhone 4. My wife needed a new phone after her iPhone 3GS was stolen. I gave her mine. I used a BlackBerry for while but became depressed because it reminded of work....blah.
    Now I have just ordered a new Galaxy S2, to arrive over the next day or 2.
    Looking forward to sharing experiences and learning from your expertise.

7. Hammerpgh

Hammerpgh Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    I know I am a little late in responding to this thread but only got my phone a week ago so couldn't respond any earlier.. here's my answers:-

Are you amazed by the phone or are you underwhelmed?
    Totally amazed!! Just love pretty much everything about it so far... blazingly fast, superb display, very intuitive (having never had an android phone before).

Does it meet your expectations?
    Yes and far exceeds them. I was torn between the SG II and the HTC Sensation and although I am sure the Sensation would have been a great phone too I find it hard to think it could have surpassed this one!

What phone did you come from and how does it compare?
    Sony Ericsson Satio. This phone had quite a few complains from people but I had two years of pretty much faultless use out of it and it was so good for me that I was still happily using it over a month after my upgrade was due giving me the chance to find the deal and phone that I wanted. Hard to compare the two really. I loved my Satio and am finding the same with my SG II now.

Do you think it blows the competition away or is it just an incremental step up?
    In my opinion it's a major improvement over any phone out there. However, it's tough to be definitive in that without first having used the other phones and my opinion is based purely on what I have read and heard whilst researching for a new phone. Bottom line is if you get a new phone and are happy with it thats all that matters and I am not into the my phone is better than your phone scenario.

8. srikat

srikat Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Male
    Bangalore, India
    Have you tried DoubleTwist?

9. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I came from the original Desire too (still have one for work) and I have very similar feelings. The SGS2 is very cool, but touchwiz definitely has some ground to cover before it catches up with HTC Sense. Simple things like automatically arranging apps alphabetically really really shouldn't be something you need to work at.

Kies is rubbish too. HTC sync was excellent, and the installer was there on your SD card when the phone arrived. The SGS2 also should give you the same USB options all in one place "Charge only, external drive, sync, tether" - choose one, set a default if you like, change your mind by swiping down the notification bar and touching the current setting. So simple, so brilliant - you don't miss it till it's gone.

So am I blown away? No.
    Am I glad I've got one? Yes.

I think the most telling part of my reaction to this phone is that I'm very tempted to root it and install a 3rd party ROM. I never bothered with the Desire because it was so good out of the box.

Oh, and the SGS2 is fragile. I broke mine after 5 days, my Desire lasted the full 18 months in the same pocket. It may be slim but now I'm going to get an otterbox commuter and that will take away the slim factor and the looks :(

oh, the original questions!

Are you amazed by the phone or are you underwhelmed?
    Pleased.

Does it meet your expectations?
    Yes

What phone did you come from and how does it compare?
    HTC Desire: the SGS2 is better but will take some getting used to.

Do you think it blows the competition away or is it just an incremental step up?
    Incremental step up for me, but this isn't my first Android.

10. srikat

srikat Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Male
    Bangalore, India
    @Morat

How exactly did it break? Just for putting in pocket?

11. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I don't honestly know. I had it in my front pocket while I put my son in his car seat, drove 5 miles. When I went to take a photo later on it was broken. I didn't feel any particular knocks, didn't hear any crunch. The Gorilla Glass is intact but the screen underneath is cracked into about 8 pieces. The back is perfect too. I assume I flexed it but I don't know when/how. I doubt it would have happened with an Alu Chassis HTC.

12. Hammerpgh

Hammerpgh Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    I must admit that the robustness of the HTC phones is one of the reasons why I almost didn't get my SG II. I really like the look and feel of it and although it feels pretty solid the HTC's are tanks in comparison. I am not sure it would take me sitting down with it in my back pocket so at the moment am being very careful with it. But you know what it's like once you have had a new gadget for a while you start to be a lot less careful so only time will tell how durable this is I guess.