• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you covering your Droid or leaving it as is?

First the glass is very hard to scratch...and it shows the least number of finger prints in my opinion...Next i had the shell holster case and the loosened the hell out of my screen. The tabs that go under the screen from the top part of the case are way too big and stretched out the screen away from the keyboard on the left side...Just a heads up...I have a thread about this as well

I had the gel-snap on case from Verizon and it did the same thing to my Droid, so I returned it and got a new one, haven't used the case on this one obviously.

Upvote 0
I am using the shield they gave me at the best buy. Good thing about it, I didn't like the way it was on, so they reinstalled it.

And my husband just bought me a custom case from Fortte... Leather case for Motorola Droid (Verizon) Lateral Pouch Diva Model B but it hasn't come, yet.

But since I got it, I have had it in a cleaned out empty pocket in my purse.

Not even a zipper on said pocket to scratch it.

Upvote 0
phantomskinz screen protector + bezel cover.

DSC04781a.jpg

That looks pretty nice, I'm definitely thinking of investing in something like this now.

I liked the idea of a naked droid though. :cool:

Upvote 0
On my first Droid (replaced from bad keyboard) I had VZW put on one of their static screen protectors. POS if you ask me. The finger smudges were horrible.

On my 2nd Droid I put on a screen protector from clearfreak. This one is a world of difference. The actual 3M material is really robust and looks great. It is applied with water and a squeegee and adheres very well to the screen. Touch sensitivity isn't compromised and your finger slides quite well across the screen. Furthermore it almost completely covers the bottom row of touch buttons below the screen; not exactly sure why it doesn't completely. The VZW protector only covered the screen. You can get them even cheaper on ebay if you want. I think I got 3 of them for much cheaper than they sell on their website.

Furthermore I picked up a fairly cheap pouch on amazon pouch. That works quite well to protect the body and doesn't add much bulk to the phone. After about 2 weeks it is getting a bit looser making the pull tab almost unnecessary.

Upvote 0
I don't like making the phone more bulky but I bought the standard hard case with a clip for mine. Also go the plain screen sheild since I already have full body protection. No problems with any of them. Droid hit the pavement for the first time today...my case offered full protection. While I know the phone and screen can take a beating (glass screens are tougher than people think)..i want my Droid to be flawless incase I want to resell it. My old Voyager suffered a few pavement nicks and holding it everyday wore off some of the coating so it looks bad now...don't want my Droid to be in that condition.

But if you never plan on selling your phone I would suggest either letting it go naked or getting the thinnest protection possible. From my experience these phones are very tough and you are not going to break it with a standard drop. It doesn't even really need screen protection because the glass is super tough. Only get protection if u want the phone in prestine exterior condition a few years out.

Upvote 0
When I had my first Droid, I bought the $30 snap-on hard case. I think it interfered with my reception. It seemed much heavier, too. (Like a brick that could knock someone down if it were thrown hard enough. :p ) I don't have a case now, but I did order a skin. I'm trying to decide whether or not to use it. Granted, it's very nice. I just like the look of the Droid and I take care of my phones. The screen doesn't scratch from what I can tell. If I drop it, I guess I'm in trouble.

Upvote 0
I just removed my case, and won't be likely to put it back on except for certain situations. I got the snap on hard cover from Verizon. As they describe it on the package, "impact resistant plastic cover wrapped in leather." The "leather" appears to simply be another type of plastic with a leather-like texture. The case adds considerable bulk to the phone, and makes sliding out the keyboard difficult (not to mention noisy). I'm quite paranoid that the case will eventually ruin the phone.

I'll be returning the case to the store soon. I think I'll give the body glove case a try, though I'll be sure to see how it fits in the store before taking it.

I also got the Verizon screen covers and can honestly say they suck. They aren't even cut to properly fit the screen. I'll be returning those as well. In fact, the only thing I got for my Droid that doesn't suck is the car charger.

If the bodyglove doesn't work out maybe I'll try the innocase. I've yet to decide if I'll try another screen cover.

Upvote 0
I guess I'm the only guy who is satisfied with the Verizon screen covers..lol. They are smudgy though. Yea they are cheap and aren't much different than what you can get elsewhere but it does the job :p. Verizon typically sells the much better privacy protectors..but I'd prob order them elsewhere too.

Upvote 0
I honestly have no clue what I did to it to scratch it. I haven't dropped it, put it in a pocket with anything sharp, had a dog chew on it(this was a problem with a previous phone, when I had a new puppy)...

That's why I think that the Droid screen isn't all that scratch proof. I've been very careful with it since I got it, which is why I'm so irritated that it's scratched. Time will tell--I wouldn't be that surprised if other people start noticing scratches on their screen.

Anyone else noticed any scratches? My Droid is naked. I have been carrying it in my pocket too (but not with any keys). I don't see any scratches, but I've only had it for a week or so.

I liked the naked feel of the Droid, so I'm holding off on adding any protection...

Upvote 0
I originally started out with the clear plastic case and screen protector from VZW. Thought they were fine but started to feel the case added too much bulk.

So I went with Zagg's InvisibleShield Full Body skin. I initially liked the rubbery extra traction feel and phone certainly didn't feel bulky anymore. But I started to dislike the orange peel feel and missed the nice smoothness on the screen.

I ordered up a PhantomSkin Full Body and I'm extremely pleased with the it. I don't miss the rubbery feel. The PhantomSkin also seemed easier to apply. Zagg's application was a pain trying to deal with the solution sponge.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the PhantomSkin.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i had the droid with the vzw screen protector and a hard plastic case that vz had. ive had since i got the droid and havent felt it naked. i decided to take the case off since it felt really bulky. i now have it only with the screen protector and am very pleased with the new thinness of the phone. i havent seen any scratches within the last two days ive had it in my pocket, although i might get some of the phantomskinz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones