1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Are you guys fanboiz?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TxGoat, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Or is this just hype?

Motorola Droid Bionic is the first 4G home run - (1) - CNNMoney

Read the rest here.

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    1 word to sum up any moto device after the OG Droid "Blur"

I am perfectly happy with my TB. After I had the D2G I have been done with Moto and their lock up the phone from any customization ideas. The bionic may be a good phone for the people that want to have a phone and run stock, for those of us who like to tinker and rom I don't think it would be worth it.

Edit: I can't believe this came from CNN, I don't think I have ever seen a pro android article from CNN they seem to have a relationship with Apple.

3. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Android Enthusiast
    None

I'm a Sense kinda girl :) Even though I go Go Launcher, GO Sms... So I guess I'm a I'm a girl that likes a Sense underlay...

4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

lol, I hear that about CNN.

And on a related note, I had to go to the Apple store today to replace an iPhone 4 (company phone not my personal phone) and sometimes when I go to an Apple store, I just want to get some sort of hostage situation going just for the hell of it (maybe so I'll have an excuse to throw people to the ground and pull them around by their hair?!?!). I'm not sure why but you can almost feel the faux-techno-pretentiousness generated by the crowd. Everyone just hanging around not really doing anything but being told how to perform the simplest tasks on their Apple product (upload their photos to facebook) or surfing the web. I don't know but it seems like most people there are there just to socialize and stroke each other for having what they think is a superior product made of Unicorn fur and magic.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Heh.. great article on the Bionic, but I particularly enjoy the "Join the Conversation" posts below it.

"Ok, just how is the laptop dock a good idea? They want $500 for it. I can buy a REAL laptop for less."

"Oh wait its not an iPhone. Neeeeeeeext."

"I'm sure this is a good phone, but anyone putting any weight into a tech review from CNN is not shopping wisely." <--- spamming his review site

6. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
  7. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

Haha, what you do is you go to his site and post that his reviews are amateurish and that CNN has a great Tech review section.

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    As a consumer, i have a question: can someone explain to me why the bionic, which is supposed to be the best of the best top 'o the line smartphone on verizon right now, lagged like hell and force closed on 3 of the apps that i opened? Can someone also explain, why the sample pictures i've seen in reviews from different sites look so crappy compared to my bolt's when it and my bolt has the same megapixel rating?

Oh that's right...because just like anything else, the user experience doesn't boil down to a spec sheet. In the same way that two 300horsepower cars won't feel the same when driven, two phones won't either.

Really, i know companies need something to say about their products but "dual core" this and "megapixel" that need to be taken with a larger grain of salt. In a way they're dicking around with consumers, in a larger way, consumers gulp every buzzword spoken without a second thought or the need to actually research the biggest sellings points of any given phone.

Just the other day a friend was joking that my phone was outdated and i better hurry up and jump on one of these dual core babies because i might not know what i'm missin out on being with this crappy a-hardware. My phone still does everything i need it to. Hasn't lagged or performed badly and there's not a single phone that i see today that makes me look at my bolt any different. I love my phone. And i appreciate the technology behind it because this phone not even that long ago would be hailed as a "superphone". Now because "dualcore" is being talked about i'm supposed to see my phone as something less? Screw that.

Anyway, had to vent it's 1am and i can't sleep and my fingers just keep on typing.

9. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

haha, with all that energy I'm guessing you resolved your camera issues?

To me all the Dual-Core talk is premature. I don't think there are many single apps out there that benefit from a dual core setup. I'm sure it's easier to manage resources when you're using a bunch of apps at the same time, but you're still going to be limited by overall clock speed.

It reminds me back when Intel came out with its Hyperthreading technology. It was the "Must have" upgrade to the PC, and then Dual Core popped onto the scene. It's just a way for manufacturers to sell more merchandise, "What you say your car can park itself? Well my car can perform its own oil change and can bathe itself...."

We can try keeping up with the Jones's but that doesn't make anyone but the manufacturers happy.

10. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Heh...quad cores coming in 2012.

Qualcomm To Bring 2.5GHz Quad-Core Chips To Smartphones In 2012

I think they are serious overkill. Dual core I can see--one core for the foreground app and the other for the OS background stuff. The reality is that people really do not multitask all that much on their phones. Even on desktops, I found that I cannot really tell much difference between dual core and quad core. In the end you are limited by the person using the device. You can only really do a few things at once. I think the only thing that can really push this stuff are certain specialty apps (video encoding for example) and games with significant AI.

All this stuff is a workaround for clockspeed limitations anyway. I'd rather have a 10 GHz single core than a 2.5 GHz quad core any day of the week. Multiple cores is just the path of least resistance for performance enhancement right now.