1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Are you happy with your new Nexus?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darkcyber, Dec 20, 2011.

1. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    :eek:

nexus [nek-suhs]

nex

Advertisement

gaajiwaaih likes this.
  2. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010

I hear ya....;)

3. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Simply put... Yes!

4. Trekk

Trekk Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    I am extremely happy with it have had 4 different phones in the past 6 to 8 month and its the first one that I could confidently say satisfies my taste buds.

5. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    Hi, why not step away from the keyboard for a bit and have a cup of hot cocoa? Sooner or later the mods will cleanup the thread, and it's not worth the bad karma.

You have a right to be frustrated w/hardware that doesn't work the way you expect, but there are other current and future phone options if it turns out that Nexus doesn't do it for you. For right now, suggest you try the alternative camera apps to see if it'll float your boat.

6. EdenObscured

EdenObscured Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    IT Guy
    Chicagoland
    Phone is too sweet. Only thing bugging me is the black silicone case from verizon is scratching the sides of my phone.....

7. Mahalo

Mahalo Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Tampa, Florida
    I absolutely love the phone, Everything about it... the two things, in my usage, that are slightly problematic will very very likely be pushed in an update. I'm not even going to bother rooting until ROMs are out which take advantage of the fixes I strongly suspect will be out early Q1 2012

1) Reception is not stellar and I'm often bouncing from 3bars of 3G to 4 bars of 4G with a max of 7MBps up/down (Tampa, FL)

2) Speaker phone/ringer volume is acceptable only if you live with an insomniac

The phone is fast, smooth, bright, thin, and responsive. I've not dropped any calls and I use my Droid Incredible as my dedicated alarm clock now.

8. cggorman

cggorman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    I can't wholly agree with the majority on the signal issue. Other than today's nationwide outage, I haven't had any trouble keeping a reliable data signal. The bars consistently report lower than other phones, but it hasn't affected my actual use. Since the update from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 I haven't got as many locations that want to lock on 4G, but I expect that will come back around. The radio and antenna are clearly capable.

Other than a few ergonomic quirks, I'm quite pleased.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  9. Steven58

Steven58 ^^Whadda nice guy!^^

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    New Jersey, US of A
    Gentle PSA Reminder:

Please keep comments impersonal. Cut the negative behavior. Below this line we love and respect one another. I reeeeally don't want to hand out any more infractions, today. Please. Thanks!

____________________________________________________________ (love/respect here:)

3vil likes this.
  10. cggorman

cggorman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    BlueBiker likes this.
  11. Steven58

Steven58 ^^Whadda nice guy!^^

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    New Jersey, US of A
    "frienemy" Love that word.

12. illinimatt81

illinimatt81 Newbie
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    I put up with years of the other carriers having the best phones being a long time Verizon customer. Now, with the OG Droid in 2009 and now the Nexus I have the best phone. I paid my dues and love this phone and being leading edge with the best network!

BlueBiker likes this.
  13. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2009
    It's a love/hate relationship. I am going to assume that they will fix the signal and connection issues. The next biggest issue for ME ONLY, is the size. It is too big for a holster. This leaves it as a pocket phone. The Otterbox case is too big to be a pocket phone. Therefore, it has to be nekkid.

The real gripe is that these issues had to have been known. They should have held release or gone FULL COURT PRESS to fix them by launch.

14. Elliterate

Elliterate Newbie
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    It's awesome

15. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Fastest tests so far, even compared to my last two LTE phones:

[​IMG]

VERY happy! Everything just works well on this phone. :D:D

darkcyber likes this.
  16. ryotto

ryotto Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    I love my Galaxy Nexus. This thing is awesome. My previous phone was a 3 year old LG Chocolate 3, so any smartphone would be an upgrade.

My first concern was the size. I was used to my little Chocolate 3 which is one of the smallest phones available. Yeah, the Galaxy Nexus is a bit bigger, but its also thinner. It fits very nice in my pockets and I even think it feels better in the pocket, because its thin and wont turn sideways. I also thought a 4.65" screen was too big, but after using it, I wouldn't want it any smaller. I wouldn't want it any bigger either. I think its perfect. I also love the way it looks. I normally have the brightness on auto, but sometimes I'll turn it on 100% to show it off, and wow, the blacks are still very black, but the colors really "pop". I think the camera is great. I took a picture of my Toyota Pickup and zoomed in on the picture and could almost tell if the front hubs were locked or unlocked. I was impressed.

I love ICS. I've haven't used Android much before getting this phone, but my first real experience with Android has been great with ICS. I know other phones will eventually get ICS, but I think it's worth getting the Nexus just for it. I noticed its very smooth and quick. I haven't had any issues with legging.

My experience has been very positive. I would like if the speakers could have more volume. I leave it maxed out usually, and I think its loud enough, but I would like to have a little more just in case I'm in a noisy environment. I wouldn't mind more battery life, but I'm fine with it. I went through the work day and was at 78% when I came home with 8 1/2 hours of standby. I used it a little at lunch time, made one 5 minute call. If I can get make it through the day with only one charge, I'm fine with that. I noticed the screen eats up the battery though, but it looks so damn good that I don't mind. As long as I have a charger available if I need it, then I don't have a problem. I haven't noticed any weak signal problems.

I don't see a problem with build quality. The front looks great and the sides and back is a gunmetal colored plastic with a textured back for grip. I'm glad its not made out of a heavy material, because to me, the lighter the phone the better. The phone feels great in my hand.

I am very happy with the phone. And for people who are disappointed with it just have too high of exceptions. It's a piece of technology. Yes, there is room for improvement. Technology will always improve as long as there are motivated and determined engineers. I think cell phones have came a long way in recent years and we should be greatfull for how fast they keep improving. I will admit, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is not perfect, but to me its the best phone that is currently available.

17. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Try volume+ in the market, it made a nice difference, and it also made my alarm clock so loud that I jump out of bed with no chance of snoozing now, lol

18. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Thanks everyone. Guess the main Thing that makes it hard to get it right now is the radio complaints I keep hearing about. May grab one tomorrow and try it through the holidays and see...return it if doesn't do well.

19. Angras

Angras Newbie
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Couldn't be happier. I am really impressed the lack of bloatware that is on this phone..coming from and Dinc which is laced with it...it's a nice change.

Also impressed with the battery life..if I needed to I could get 12 hours out of it..but I usually keep a charger handy.

Love the "Lets Golf" game for it in HD...sooo much fun.

20. iclickjohn

iclickjohn Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Pros:
    1. GORGEOUS
    2. Youtube watching HD. OMG! (on wifi)
    3. ICS after a slight learning curve, loved it. Slight issue with "menu"
    4. Web browsing, perfect placement and zoom to fit. Fast (on wifi)

Cons:
    1. Slippery as #@!! compared to my X which literally sticks in my hand. The GN felt like it was going to slip out of my hand 100% of the time. Not a case guy.
    2. Transferring stuff from "backup folder" on PC. music, pictures, app backup folders etc. NOTHING would go into the Nexus. Had to find some cloud solution. But then the size was so prohibitive. Solution. Use Google Music and Picassa.
    3. This won't apply to most of you. But I am way too critical of screen color. Mine was tinted very bluish gray. With the curved screen it really bugged my eyes. You see more blue as the angle is tipped. I noticed it enough even from one eye to the other. i.e. one eye would see whiter and the other would see more bluer. OK, I know I'm crazy on this account.
    4. And finally the DEAL breaker. I am in a fringe 3g only area. I've had 3 smartphones prior and all handled data without incident. The GN, ummmm no. Like downloading an app, after 3 minutes still at 4%. Just an example. Like not updating maps as you drive.

Took it back this morning. Oh I wish it wasn't for the Cons. This thing was so cool. So if you don't have issues as I did. It is definitely THE phone to get.

21. Boldy

Boldy Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I love it! Coming from an OG Droid, my biggest concern about the GNex was the large size. However, I got over that quickly. It feels great in the hand, and in the pocket because of its thin case.

I've read alot of complains of both the battery life and the reception, but I haven't had problems with either.

Pros:
    - Screen is amazing
    - ICS took a little getting used to, but it is awesome
    - Blazing fast

Cons
    - Crappy speaker

22. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Really? Which one? The shiny black silicone case?

23. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

The enemy of my enemy is my Friend... hehehe!!!

24. magpullin

magpullin Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 16, 2011
  25. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    I'm happy with it, but no phone is perfect. Reception is a touch worse than my Incredible, camera is worse in some ways too. Size is too big, but everything else is great.

Tags: