• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you hitting the side buttons when sliding out the KB?

About half the time I slide out the keyboard on my new Droid, I either press the side buttons (volume or camera) or the bottom "buttons" (back, menu, home, search). Most of the wrong presses are of the search or volume buttons.

If you're not having this problem, where are your fingers placed when you slide the keyboard out?

I never hit any buttons. Slide the keyboard out using your thumb to push up from the center of the screen.

It's not my thumbs that hit any buttons (there aren't any on the left/bottom side) but my fingers up top. You need to grab onto something for leverage; where are your index fingers placed when you slide the keyboard?

Upvote 0
It's not my thumbs that hit any buttons (there aren't any on the left/bottom side) but my fingers up top. You need to grab onto something for leverage; where are your index fingers placed when you slide the keyboard?

Try placing the first crease of your index fingers right on the corners. You shouldn't hit the camera or volume keys that way.

Upvote 0
i dont hit those physical side buttons, but my problem is that sometimes my finger touches the edge of the touchscreen and it presses something while im sliding it out. i usually start sliding out the screen at the vertical position. i push it out with my left thumb, with my thumb touching a lil bit of the screen in the process and things get pressed accidentally. sometimes the screen is just too sensitive for its own good. kinda annoying.

Upvote 0
I think the thing I'm doing is the same as gotwillk - I start sliding from the vertical position and, while pivoting the phone, hit either the volume button or the back button on the front. I guess I just need to be more careful - I do find the side buttons remarkably easy to press whenever I manipulate the phone.

I think my problem is that because the face is untouchable, there's only a few place where I can hold the phone safely without pressing buttons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones