1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Are you rooted or stock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Crazy_J, Feb 25, 2010.

?

Is your droid rooted or stock?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2010.
  1. Stock

133 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Rooted

192 vote(s)
    54.7%
  3. Planning to root

24 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Planning to un-root

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Snaz

Snaz Member

that isn't even an option. What if you WERE rooted and ALREADY back to stock? It only asks if you plan to unroot. The stock (option) may be full of those that tried and already went back.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Rooted and oc'd.

3. polysaturate

polysaturate Newbie

Second day with the phone. Going to get to know my phone a little bit better before i root. Seems confusing, which one is more stable, which one doesn't miss out some good stuff(LED for instance, after coming from iphone, i love this feature). Plus, if 2.1 really is around the corner...then i'll see what that brings.

Anybody with good info to push me over the root edge please PM me, still learning my way round :D

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

thus far it is 88 / 147 in favor of rotted versus not rooted....

That's just under 60%....

5. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert

Posting this from a rooted Droid. The root, the root, the root is on fire...

6. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Android Enthusiast

The Best Thing about Rooting the Droid IMHO is: Wireless Tether, and OC. Not at all hard to do, just look at this thread, it is easy.

7. GtRacerH

GtRacerH Newbie

we don't need no water let our rooted droid burn!

8. Your results will be skewed.

The percentage of "rooters" here will be greater than "stock" just because a large percentage of "stock" users couldn't care less about the Android Forums.

9. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I'm rooted only because of the sholes team. They made it simple enough that it was a no brainer, if they hadn't made that application I would be stock.

10. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

I'm not looking for real world stats. I only wanted stats from this forum. Hence putting it here and not attempting to locate and ask each and every Droid user. Lmao now that would be a task...

11. tjrocks91

tjrocks91 Newbie

Current Setup (Perfectly Stable)
    Motorola Droid - Rooted
    Recovery ROM - SirPsychoS' Recovery 0.99.2b
    Custom ROM - Pete's Bugless Beast 0.7.5 + xeudoxus's 2.0 Lock Screen with Vibrate Tweak
    Michael Huang's SetCPU v1.4.6 (ChevyNo1's 10 Slot Kernel 1000mHz + Standby Profiling)
    Hammo's Bugless Beauty Boot Animation v1

Previous Setup (Experimenting)
    Motorola Droid - Rooted
    Recovery ROM - SirPsychoS' Recovery 0.99.2b
    Custom ROM - Pete's Bugless Beast 2.1 v1.1
    Michael Huang's SetCPU v1.4.6 (DroidMod's Kernel 1000mHz + Standby Profiling)
    Stock Boot Animation

12. squaresailor

squaresailor Newbie

Rooted with sholes/droidmod to get wifi tether and got a faster, smoother phone in the bargain. Phone looks completely stock on the surface. No regrets, no problems.

13. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert

I belong to several Droid forums, and I think you're way off the mark here. This forum consists of more of the "average Joe" Droid users than any other that I frequent.

Having said that, if someone doesn't want to root their Droid, I don't blame them. The Droid is a cool phone right out of the box. And anyone who thinks less of someone who doesn't want to root is just plain wrong.

14. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

Really? Are you the only Mod that hasn't "modded" their Droid. jk

Well I'm a root freak.

15. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Android Expert

i am rooted!

16. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

106/174

just under 61% now....

17. Steinman

Steinman Newbie

Rooted and love it. Wireless tether is awesome.

18. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Android Enthusiast

I am rooted but I am not running a custom rom and don't have any plans to do so. I just have the few things I need installed that require root.

19. Nicks88

Nicks88 Android Enthusiast

Was rooted, messed around a bit, then went back to stock as it did nothing for me. Couldn't hang with the cool kids.

20. Crazy_J

Seems there are less stock phones than I thought. Looks like root is more popular, I am sure that is because of sholes/droidmod making it so easy.

21. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

Is your poll assuming rooted == running non-stock ROM?

B/c I'm rooted, but I am still running stock 2.0.1, just rooted so I could modify a couple of settings, not to install a different ROM.

22. tojjer

tojjer Android Enthusiast

As a newbie, I presume I'm still stock on my HTC Hero with Orange UK.
    I haven't a clue what rooting does or what benefits it gives, so guess I'm gonna have to do some reading up on it.

23. Crazy_J

Rooted = applied new update.zip to gain super user custom ROM or not no it doesn't matter if you did the work or if sholes/droidmod did the work.

24. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Android Enthusiast

Rooted and running BB 2.1 V0.5 LOVING IT!

25. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Android Expert

Rooted..
    Got my Droid Wednesday afternoon, set it up Wednesday night in OEM form

Rooted Thursday night to BB 1.1 (2.0.1) with a 600 MHz Kernel

Debating on going to BB 0.5 (2.1) but will give this mod I have a few days first

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews