1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Are you satisfied with your DX2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John58543, May 31, 2011.

?

Keeping or returning?

1. Keeping it, I can deal with the problems

45 vote(s)
    77.6%
  2. Returning it, I can't believe a phone can launch with this many problems

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Still undecided

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. John58543

John58543 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    We are almost 2 weeks into the lifespan of the Motorola Droid X2. Are you going to keep it or return/swap it?

Just want to get a vibe for where everyone stands...I'm currently sitting on the fence...and my last day to return is this Thursday...I just feel like there is nothing else out there to switch to that's worth a crap on Verizon!

Advertisement

2. rankman

rankman Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Male
    PA
    As I've said before... I rooted the phone easily and have had no issue so far except for moving apps to media area. so its a keeper for me. Love the display and speed.

rumblee1 likes this.
  3. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Ohio
    got it last friday, so far i am keeping it. i know it's not perfect, but what is right?

plus i am not OCD like some others, there's more to life. :D

4. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    Speaking for my wife, she absolutely loves hers...can't say enough good things about it, can barely get her to put it down.

5. fastpicker89

fastpicker89 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm a gamer and have been gbcoiding it for almost 2 weeks and it's still fresh and I wake up excited every day to check all my widgets and apps.

Runs smooth. Camera's no iphone, but then iphone's no android, and also... It's huge, dual core, and if I couldn't get women on my own, I could put this phone under a box held up by a stick and catch women with the sexiness emanating from this phone.

It's a solid phone, and with one update all problems can easily be fixed. There are very few, and while they are pretty serious and annoying, they will be easy to fix. Give it time haters.

Briandpeters likes this.
  6. mrfixitx

mrfixitx Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    I am very happy with my DX2. I have no plans to return it. . It is fast responsive and i love the big qhd screen. The only issues I have had is occasional audio issues when multitasking and a couple of random reboots one of which was certainly caused by me.

Once the gingerbread update comes out in am sure it will be even better.

7. John58543

None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Thanks everyone so far for responses, I'm kind of shocked at how many are keeping...I figured with the amount of negativity on this forum towards the DX2, more would be returning it.

8. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    Although there are many problems listed on the forums, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency between people experiencing each problem. For every person who can see the grid pattern, there's another who thinks the screen is fantastic. Some think the phone lags or runs hot while others don't. One person says the speakers are loud; I say they are nowhere near as loud as the OG Droid. Given the lack of consistency, I believe the problems are less likely to be hardware and more about the combination of software which can be tweaked. If that's the case, I think the X2 will be a hit overshadowed only by people's desire to own a 4G phone instead.

9. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The two main issues seem to be the (1) Flash/heat spikes and (2) the music pop & skips.

1. The heat issues may be to some degree (pun intended) a perception issue, since metal transfers heat more efficiently than plastic and the cover (per Motorola tech) is part of the heat dissipation system- makes sense too. I think the device seems hotter, since nowhere as insulated from heat transfer like a plastic cover would be.

I may have been dinging something that is actually helping control heat issues. Not saying there is NOT a heat issue, but our perception may be worse than it is. Still seems some Flash videos can spike temps.

2. The main issue for me is the MP3s sometimes popping and skipping. This needs fixing and a darn shame, since the audio features and quality are on par or better than the A4 and A5 in the Apple products. Nvidia may not have went all out for video codec support so far, but they did not skimp on the audio side at all. I find my iPod 4 to be very good sounding with my Klipsch ear buds and the DX2 sounds just as good (sans the sporadic pops).

DX2 is a keeper and will be a fantastic bridge until the LTE dust settles :)

Added: I have a feeling that Gingerbread is going to make the DX2 rock harder. Still, Moto had better be working on a fix for the audio popping & skipping- regardless.

10. John58543

None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Well I'm just feeling a little shafted that DX1 users are getting GB first instead of DX2...I thought newer devices always got the upgrades first? At least at the same time?! But later, thats kind of frustrating IMO...

11. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    Newer hardware with significantly different specs (like dual core processors) may need additional time to tweak settings for optimal performance. Thus the (possible) reason Moto is holding on releasing the Bionic. Thus the (possible) reason Moto is stalling for the X2 GB update. Just sayin'...

12. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Agreed.

There was also leaks from devs that mentioned the current version of GB is a little rough on dual cores due to battery drain, but is being corrected for the next GB update.

I do think though for current DX1 owners, they would be far more slighted, since the DX1 has been around since July.

I would be.

13. John58543

None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Well I decided to return my DX2....picked up an iPhone (which my wife will get in a couple of months when I use her upgrade) and I'm just going to see what's going on in the Android world come August. In the interim i can always go back to my Eris if I get sick of my iPhone lol....so used to Android don't know how long I can take it!

14. myko14

myko14 Member
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    CoMo
    I love this phone but I just found out yesterday that my new job has their phones through a different carrier so I have to return the X2 to restore my account status. Sucks that I can't keep this baby until the GB update without having to pay a contract termination fee.

BTY - anyone have ideas on how to unroot?

15. John58543

None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Just use the unroot selection on Gingerbreak

16. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    When you've been using a phone with seriously underpowered hardware to support the OS for over a year, the dx2 seems like upgrading from a Yugo to a Ferrari! Granted, I only just got it today, but wow, what a difference!! :eek:

After dealing with the plethora of Eris issues for over a year, a couple bugs is a huge relief. Been listening to Slacker for hours now and haven't had a single issue other than when i started to multi-task. Had the same popping and skipping everytime my Eris went to sleep. If it gets to be too annoying, I'll just load a crapton of MP3s on my old Eris and use that as my MP3 player.

17. rumblee1

rumblee1 Newbie
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    How did you root it?

18. Heelpir8

Heelpir8 Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    Gingerbreak

19. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. I came from an unrooted OG Droid that was laggy/buggy as Hades, so my DX2 is like lightning. I also don't seem to be having all the problems others are. That's not to say that it's perfect, but nothing so bad that I've even considered returning it.

20. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    I like the hardware, but its another example of how flaky and fractured the Android OS is compared to iOS. I'm keeping mine simply because it gets better reception at the house than any phone I've used on two networks.

I strongly dislike the plethora of problems on the software side. Google needs to get their sh@t straight and reign in the openness of the OS and add more stability to the experience. Im coming from an iPhone 4, an HTC Incredible 2 and now the X2. I had zero reboots or crashes with the iPhone 4 in over a year of use. The Dinc2 had a number of force closes with mainstream apps like TWC - from day one, and the X2 is sluggish and many things don't work properly. If these issues get ironed out I may stick with Android. If not, fool me once and all that.

21. anticipator

anticipator Member
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Definitely keeping the DX2. It works just great and works nearly flawlessly. I really like the hardware, the sturdiness and feel of the phone. Also, didn't think I would like motoblur, but now, the more I use it, the more I like it. The customization options are endless. I had a Thunderbolt and returned it due to many reasons including the battery drainage problem. I don't even care if it is a 3G phone only, because Verizon 3G coverage is superb in my area (and anywhere I've been nationally. No more researching to see which is the best phone. I believe this is the best phone on Verizon. Also, Verizon customer service and help has been the best. It's a keeper!

22. speedracer68

speedracer68 Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Ohio
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but since I just got my DX2 on Saturday, I thought I'd add my thoughts in case anyone else was sitting on the fence about this device.

My first smartphone was the Eris, which was just a terrible experience. I didn't have it too long before I upgraded to the Droid 2, which was much more capable and a really great phone. I mention this so people know where I'm coming from.

While I was very happy with the D2, I wanted to get something next gen, and since LTE won't be in my area probably until the tail end of 2013, there wasn't too many devices to choose from, so I opted for the DX2, mainly because of the Tegra 2 and the huge screen.

I'll start off by saying that I simply love this phone. The call quality and reception are much better than what I was getting on the D2, and although I'm no fan of Blur, I do really like Motorola's build quality.

As far as the issues that I've read about.

The biggest one seems to be the display; people either love it or hate it. 99% of the time, I love it. Very bright and crisp with easy to read text and it's also very easy to read outdoors in sunlight. I do see banding and other when viewing some photos that contain subtle gradations of color, and I can see where some may get upset that this shouldn't be the case on a high end device, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

The other issue that gets mentioned is performance with audio and video. Although I've only had the phone for a few days, I can say that I've not experienced the audio glitches that some other people have mentioned. I spent the better part of the day at work streaming music from Google Music, Pandora, Slacker and Amazon while sending texts and browsing, and only experienced one or two hiccups. I still have to test it using MP3 files right off the device, though.

The video recording is definitely an issue, however, it seems that if you record to internal storage (as some people here have suggested) as opposed to the SD card, you should be okay, which is what I've found to be the case on my device.

The last issue seems to be lag, which seems to be a complaint of many Blur devices. I haven't experienced any lag probably because I switched to ADW for my launcher. So far, the phone is extremely fast and responsive. Apps open up quickly, scrolling is very smooth and the phone unlocks instantly, something that didn't happen on the D2 -- there was always a hesitation when unlocking.

Battery life is outstanding so far. With the D2, I always had to charge it when I came home for lunch and then charge it up again when I came home from work. With the DX2, I can go a full day with pretty heavy use on a single charge, probably because there's a bigger battery than what was in the D2. I honestly expected worse battery life because of the dual core processor, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

So, while there's nothing that can be done about the display issues (Pentile screen), I'm hoping that a Gingerbread update will fix some of the little issues that seem to be common on this phone and turn this into the killer device that people had hoped for.

I still have nearly two weeks to decide if I'm going to keep it, but barring any catastrophes I think it'll be a keeper until I get the itch to get something new.

In short, yes, I'm very satisfied with the phone.

Sorry for the rambling.

23. rexboe

rexboe Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    I came from the orginal DX and can say I am very happy with the DX2. I get a lot better battery life with the DX2. I also had to do 3 warranty exchanges before i got a DX that worked right. The DX2 has been working perfectly. I only wish we had some support from DEV'S but I am sure in time they will give us some support. I would like to see a bootstrap so when GB comes we can get it prerooted like the DX got. From what I have been reading GB can't be rooted otherwise.

24. Tboy 72

Tboy 72 Newbie
    None

May 18, 2011
    Iron Worker
    Sorry to bother you but you stated you rooted the phone easily. I also have a Droid X2, and I really want to root my phone. Where exactly do I start.

I know my way around a computer and have jail broken my iPhone several times, but I don't know the first thing about where to begin with rooting. Can you point me in the right direction or tell me how to get started?

Thanks.

25. Stick1300

Stick1300 Member
    None

May 29, 2011
    The All Things Root sub-forum would be where I'd start. In fact, it IS where I started.