1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Argh why won't my phone charge properly over USB!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alex_ncfc, Feb 19, 2011.

1. alex_ncfc

alex_ncfc Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    UK
    I'm having some major problems charging my x10 at the moment!

I went home to see the family over Christmas but accidentally forgot the charger plug (USB adapter) for my phone, so I now only have the USB lead. A few weeks back I had to return my phone because the battery was not charging properly after one morning I woke up and my phone was on red hot and about 6% charge (despite being on charge all night)

The phone was returned to me with a new battery, stating that this was the problem. But I have a question: Why does it take so long to charge on USB? I may be able to answer my own question but my theory is it because it is not a direct current? But even so, does 12 hours for it to go from 5% to about 20% on a USB charge sound a little extreme? (this is with the phone OFF!)

Also, I charged the phone earlier and on one of my last checks it was on around 60% - this is charging with the phone on - but literally 20 minutes later my LED was red and the battery was down to 8%!

What on earth is going on with this phone?!

Any help would be great.

Advertisement

2. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    I wonder if you have a rogue app that is munching your charge. I guess you could run a reinstall of the software using PC Companion Support section which will wipe your phone (so make sure you have copied or synced your contacts & sms) so you can then start with a clean slate. Then just reinstall your apps a few at a time to see which ones if any cause the problem... the trouble is you may reinstall them all and not have a recurrence because of a faulty download in the first place. It's needle in a haystack time.

The other thing to do is get your charging block sent back to you or go buy a new one. They are so much more efficient than USB charging via a PC. My son broke his charger on his old Sony and was doing it via his laptop but when the laptop goes into sleep mode the charging stopped so for us this was only really a practical way to do it if you are using your PC/laptop at the time of charging.

3. alex_ncfc

alex_ncfc Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    UK
    Thanks for your response.

It looks like I will just have to get the adapter sent to me or something, like you said. I just can't believe how long it is taking, seems to take about 25 minutes to do 1%! Trouble is I want to do a full power cycle but if I let the battery empty, I'd probably have to leave the phone at home charging up all day whilst I was at work!

Oh well, if anyone can think of any ways to make this charge quicker over USB then let me know :)

4. wooks63

wooks63 Well-Known Member
    None

May 2, 2010
    London, UK
    Not that this is much help for you, but yesterday my phone had totally discharged over night (my fault). I plugged it into my USB port at work when I got in at 9:30am and by lunchtime (about 3 hours), it was already around 60% or 70% charged.

Perhaps your problem is either the USB port on the computer, or I've also heard that some 3rd party USB leads aren't that good.