• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Arizona immigration law

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Arizona's economy going to take a hit? Boycotts?

By that comment, I mean the cancellation of large meetings and conventions; some of which have already done so. I hope that there are other groups and conventions that realize that this is not just Arizona's problem but all of Americas problem.

Just this morning the MLB Union voted to condemn the law. Will this mean loosing the 2011 All Star Game; I hope not.:(

Upvote 0
I for one think this law is great and hope CA passes it as well, and I am Hispanic! I dont know why Mexicans are the only people that feel entitled to just come and live here illegally as if its their right. People from the UK and other parts of the world accept the fact they cant just come and live here cause their family does or cause they feel like it. Just as we cant go move to another country and live there cause we feel like it. You need to go thru the legal process of becoming a citizen, and its MUCH easier to do that here then it is in other countries. The opponents of this law are also overreacting by a bit. Do they think police are just going to be walking around asking anyone who looks Hispanic for immigration papers? Of course not.

Upvote 0
I dont know why Mexicans are the only people that feel entitled to just come and live here illegally as if its their right. People from the UK and other parts of the world accept the fact they cant just come and live here cause their family does or cause they feel like it.

That is not true. We even had to deport (supposedly) Obama's sister around xmas time. Mexicans and other hispanic folks aren't the only ones who just squat here illegally. Even Canada has a problem. They are a little more adamant about it because of their socialized medicine, but they will apologize and then put you on a plane without shedding a tear.

Upvote 0
ID and citizenship papers are two different things. American citizens have never had to carry any sort of proof of citizenship, ever. Now they are, at least in AZ. To be honest, I find it rather sad that so many Americans are so willing to give up their basic rights.

I'd love to be arrested in Arizona for not carrying an ID satisfactory to the state's Gestapo. So would my lawyer. We could both retire on the judgment.

Upvote 0
I'd love to be arrested in Arizona for not carrying an ID satisfactory to the state's Gestapo. So would my lawyer. We could both retire on the judgment.

Detaining you for breaking the law, and you think you would win that lawsuit?:thinking:
Just because you don't live there doesn't mean their laws don't apply to you. Speed in any state and they can give you a ticket whether you live there or not.

Upvote 0

Sure you would buddy. Why not just stay in California with all your liberal buddies and illegal immigrants. I'm sure you'll be getting a wave of them soon.

Boycotts, cancellation of large meetings, re-routing of vacation travel, cancellation of the purchase of products and services.

What the media isn't telling you is that the cancellation fees of many of these meetings actually is more than what it cost to get the reservations in the first place. One example was a group of immigration lawyers paid $100,000 to rent a resort for a convention. When they canceled, they had to pay $150,000 in cancellation fees. Arizona wins.

Upvote 0
Detaining you for breaking the law, and you think you would win that lawsuit?:thinking:
Just because you don't live there doesn't mean their laws don't apply to you. Speed in any state and they can give you a ticket whether you live there or not.

Sorry, bub, but there's no federal law that requires me to have on my person while walking down the street ID acceptable to the Arizona gestapo. Arizona is intruding into areas that are the purview of the federal government. Now, since I am white, I wouldn't be able to claim skin color profiling, and it isn't likely I'd be stopped...but someone with a darker complexion could and should claim racial profiling.

I see a lot of test cases coming your way...hundreds, if not thousands of them.

Upvote 0
lolz...this is typical ultra right wing hypocrisy. If this were a law that had to do with guns and targeted mainly white Americans it would be WWIII but because it's brown people it's simply a law that needs to be done!

Now don't get me wrong. We have some of the most lax immigration enforcement in the world. America is one of the easiest places to become a legal citizen with pretty much open doors. I get the frustration people have. However how many people can honestly say their family had this country had those laws in the early 19th late 18th century would be a legal citizen? I can almost bet if you're Irish, Italian or Jewish you wouldn't be in this country.

I demand that Native Americans detain and stop white people to make sure their parents showed them the proper documentation to land on American soil.

Upvote 0
Sure you would buddy. Why not just stay in California with all your liberal buddies and illegal immigrants. I'm sure you'll be getting a wave of them soon.

This is still the United States, and as a traveler, there's no federal law that requires me to carry "Arizona ID" while walking down the streets of Phoenix or Milwaukee or anywhere else.

It's been a while, but demonstrating for my civil rights/liberties is something I've done before. When a state or the federal government tries to bust civil liberties guaranteed us, peaceful protest is legitimate and necessary.

On this, there are plenty of liberals and non-liberals who agree.

Upvote 0
If your not a citizen or on a visa then you do not need to be here sucking up tax payer resources. we do not need to add to that. I applaud the actions of the state. i am covered in tattoo's from the military. I get profiled all the time. Oh well.

Yep they never get jobs under the table, buy cars, pay for rent on apartments and buy everything else you need to live in this country. Oh that's right, they do!

Upvote 0
e’ve never understood two things about all those on the Left who enjoy taking to the streets screaming and yelling for amnesty and open borders:

(1) Why they think waving the Mexican flag at these events helps their cause

(2) Why they have such a problem with the enforcement of existing law

In Chicago, we need to carry an ID with us at all times, because at least three or four times a day we are asked to show it.

80% of the time we use a credit card here in Chicago, the clerk at the register asks to see an ID.

IDs are required to get into any bar or club, and even some restaurants after a certain time of night.

None of us drive on a regular basis, but if we did, we’d be required to have that ID with us whenever operating a vehicle.

If we didn’t have an ID on us, we wouldn’t be able to do things like pick up packages at the mailbox store, cash checks at the bank, sign up for a gym membership, or do any of the other random things we do frequently here in Boystown.

So, eliminating the larger issue of why having no borders at all is a civilization-killing, culturally-suicidal idea, we just can’t understand the argument made by the Left that it’s improper to require illegal aliens to hold identification documents…because we, American citizens, are required to show such documents multiple times a day.

Have you ever understood this?

As we watch the Left screech and wail over Arizona being the first state to grow a pair and start cracking down on illegal aliens, we anecdotally see support for the Left crumbling the longer unemployment stays so high. Here’s what we’re seeing in Chicago, in just the food & beverage and private event industry.

We know of at least three guys who can’t find work as cater-waiters, like they usually do, in Chicago because staffing companies have too many illegal Mexican workers employed. Instead of paying an American citizen $12-15 an hour for a job, the staffing companies pay the Mexicans $5 an hour, cash.

You’d be surprised who uses these staffing companies. It’s not just for private events.

The City Club, Union League Club, and all the other big, fancy, private clubs in Chicago use staffing companies to lessen their payroll costs. Hotels do this too. Instead of hiring staff outright, these companies sign a contract with a staffing agency for x-number of warm bodies for events. The City Club or big hotel never knows these people’s names, so they never have any documents on them in their HR files. Instead, they just do a pay-out to the staffing agencies for 50 workers at x-dollar and hour on a certain day, and then the staffing agency distributes that money to its own workers, however it sees fit.

The bulk of the staffing agency’s employees are illegal Mexican workers, serving banquets, doing janitorial and housekeeping work, toiling as gardeners and other laborers, etc.

So, the racquet that exists keeps American citizens unemployed, while companies save money on staffing costs by using these third party staffing agencies to bring illegal workers into the employment pool — off the company’s books.

Just about every restaurant, hotel, and bar in the city uses illegal workers in this way, since they work for essentially slave wages — at least half what they should be getting in the job market if the company was forced to pay the standard going rate.

This practice will only INCREASE if Obamacare’s taxes and penalties become a reality.

Just think about what Obamacare is going to do to the unemployment numbers, when you realize companies forever look for creative, if not outright illegal, ways to lower their biggest expenses: payroll.

If a company wants to avoid paying health insurance costs for its employees, it will just fire the staff it has and instead contract with a staffing agency to provide the workers it needs, at a lower cost (and no insurance requirement).

Democrats are fools because they didn’t fully think out Obamacare before ramming it through — but this bill is going to put millions of people out of work in 2011, if Republicans don’t succeed in taking back Congress and killing it before then.

It’s becoming increasingly obvious the Left’s goal with illegal immigration is to perpetuate a slave class of undocumented, uneducated, hopeless and helpless individuals to serve as the lowest rung in society, working for as little money as possible so that the Liberals in their ivory towers can live the high life — and have their little pets to use for their own array of purposes.

But, we still can’t understand how the Left can continuously claim that asking these illegals for their identification is such a crime, when American citizens are asked for their identification multiple times a day.

Is this more Liberal irrationalism, where the Left screams and shouts about anything when someone gets too close to calling them out on one of their crazy schemes?

Or, are we missing something about the heinous burden of showing an ID when asked in public that we’ve just never been apprised of?

I applaud this.

Upvote 0
I suppose every one is gonna hate me now but statistically...racial profiling works. I'm just saying is all.

Even though the bill specifically states that race cannot play a role it's conceivable that while a German illegal immigrant is just as illegal as the Mexican one, it's the Mexican illegals that are causing the problems and will therefore take the brunt of this states frustrations. In the end Arizona is tired of having their issues placed on the back burner and this will cause action one way or another. I support the bill.

On a side note, has anyone else notice the individual states becoming more and more proactive and in a way almost defiant to the federal government? :D

I will agree with this, to a small point. Although I can't discuss it, I got banned for "racism" for posting a statistical fact, so I'm going to shy away from that altogether.

What does work, is profiling in general. You need to take into account that persons actions, dress choice, company he keeps, and where he/she is from among other things. Profiling DOES work. In fact, FBI/CIA/Insert agency here uses professional profilers to ID serial killers etc.

Upvote 0
Arizona is gonna be screwed if this law doesn't get over turned. So far they stand to lose a ton of money on boycots and now many high rank law enforcement officials are saying they will not enforce they law...good thing they included the ability to sue them for not doing a good enough job enforcing it. LOL.

I leave out my opinion on the constitutionality of this law, but this is setting a bad precident IMO.

Upvote 0
now many high rank law enforcement officials are saying they will not enforce they law.

Well, most high ranking law enforcement officials aren't the people who actually do the work, so that probably has little effect on anything. In the end, they set policies and if subordinate officers respect them, they'll obey them, or maybe not.

They might not have anyone to arrest as in Maryland, the police are forbidden from asking about a suspect's citizenship. They will probably move there where it is easier to get over.

Upvote 0
Well, most high ranking law enforcement officials aren't the people who actually do the work, so that probably has little effect on anything. In the end, they set policies and if subordinate officers respect them, they'll obey them, or maybe not.

They might not have anyone to arrest as in Maryland, the police are forbidden from asking about a suspect's citizenship. They will probably move there where it is easier to get over.

I live in southern Maryland. When I stop in the AM at a convenience store for my coffee, I see lots of Latinos who are also on their way to work doing the same thing. There are also plenty of county and state cops doing the same thing. There are no confrontations. My guess is that some percentage of the Latinos are "illegals," and if they are working without their employers taking and forwarding deductions, well, the employer should be arrested, because the workers are only trying to feed themselves and their families, doing jobs most "Americans" would not take under any circumstances. Every ethnic group has its bad apples, but the Latinos I encounter here are hard-working and family-oriented. If they are here illegally, then it is the fault of the U.S. government for not defending our national borders.

Upvote 0
I live in southern Maryland. When I stop in the AM at a convenience store for my coffee, I see lots of Latinos who are also on their way to work doing the same thing. There are also plenty of county and state cops doing the same thing. There are no confrontations. My guess is that some percentage of the Latinos are "illegals," and if they are working without their employers taking and forwarding deductions, well, the employer should be arrested, because the workers are only trying to feed themselves and their families, doing jobs most "Americans" would not take under any circumstances. Every ethnic group has its bad apples, but the Latinos I encounter here are hard-working and family-oriented. If they are here illegally, then it is the fault of the U.S. government for not defending our national borders.

It really isn't about the latinos. You are right, the latino culture promotes the qualities you enjoy from the good folks you encounter. The immigration problem in our area *waves at you from ~30 miles west* is not just from hispanics as a lot of people expect, but there are illegal aliens from everywhere out here.

We need to reform our immigration laws big time. We don't have a lot of requirements for citizenship, but we demand something that a lot of people are short on and that is patience. We need to light a fire under someone's ass and get these applications processed faster because it is BS right now.

The fact that the process is flawed does not make it acceptable for people to break the law. Canada would deny me citizenship for a total bullshit reason, but it is not OK for me to go there and quat even if I am working to feed my family. Screw that. Everyone has a "good reason" that the law doesn't apply to them. Yes, we are unique little snowflakes, but we do have to progress as a society, check the diva-ness at the door.

I'd submit to everyone here that most of the illegal immigrants in this country are only guilty of breaking the immigration laws. Some of it leads to fraud based around the first crime, but it stems from that. It isn't about being brown or any of that. It's about damaging an unsustainable system for your own benefit.

The fact that people are willing to turn a blind eye to all of that does not make it OK either, I support punishing both parties.

Upvote 0
Oh, and the cops and latinos at the coffee shop all trying to stomach overpriced burnt coffee in relative harmony is what you would expect. I guess the part I should have mentioned was that the MD cops are not allowed to ask about the citizenship status of suspects was that they had already done something wrong.

So, if you're a Maryland cop and you catch a bunch of people boosting a stereo off of someone's car and everyone happens to be latino and claims not so speak any english, you are still not allowed to inquire if they are in the country illegally. So basically, if you are an illegal alien and want to steal crap or work hard to feed your family, there are states in this country who make it their policy not to give you a hard time (about that) and deport you. Most places are still going to smack you for stealing, but the other stuff not so much.

Upvote 0
On a partly related WTF aspect of this thread...

Why does the Google "US Holidays" Calendar have "Cinco de Mayo" on it tomorrow???? I don't see Canada's July 1 'Canada Day' there.

Also, it isn't 'Racial Profiling' when the 2010 Census and the Federal Gov does not consider Hispanic as a race, but an ethnic group, like the Italians.

Upvote 0
Exactly they are telling the LEOs they are in charge of not to enforce this law.

If your superior tells you to do something that is illegal, you are within your rights to ignore them. This is the case in private business, law enforcement, and the military. This is why if you are caught "just following orders," you are still prosecuted.

Upvote 0
On a partly related WTF aspect of this thread...

Why does the Google "US Holidays" Calendar have "Cinco de Mayo" on it tomorrow???? I don't see Canada's July 1 'Canada Day' there.

It may be because there is the option to subscribe to the Canadian Holiday calendar. Cinco de Mayo is an excuse to party here, just like Mardi Gras. If Canada Day becomes a popular reason to get drunk in this country, you can bet it will be on every calendar printed from now on.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones