• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help arranging/grouping photos/videos

If you put media in different folders, it's displayed that way in the gallery app. You can do that on the phone with an app like ASTRO or ES File Explorer.

Or, if you plug your phone in to a PC you can move the files that way.

Plug my phone into PC? I am plugged in via USB to charge it, but it isn't showing up on my computer. Do you mean via bluetooth?

Anyway, when I added photos to my phone they are were just all in random groups with thumbnail view. I want to organize them better and maybe remove thumbnail view for private photos.

Upvote 0
Plug my phone into PC? I am plugged in via USB to charge it, but it isn't showing up on my computer. Do you mean via bluetooth?

Anyway, when I added photos to my phone they are were just all in random groups with thumbnail view. I want to organize them better and maybe remove thumbnail view for private photos.

When you plug it in via the USB cable to your PC, you should see a USB symbol in the notification bar. Pull down the notification bar and click USB Connected. At that point it should give you the option to mount as storage. Your phone should show up as a removable drive on your PC.

If you do not want folders to be scanned for media so they won't show thumbnails, you simply create an empty file and call it .nomedia and place it in that folder you want to keep from displaying.

Upvote 0
When you plug it in via the USB cable to your PC, you should see a USB symbol in the notification bar. Pull down the notification bar and click USB Connected. At that point it should give you the option to mount as storage. Your phone should show up as a removable drive on your PC.

If you do not want folders to be scanned for media so they won't show thumbnails, you simply create an empty file and call it .nomedia and place it in that folder you want to keep from displaying.

Hi, I connected like you said, I could see my SD contents. However I didn't see any of the imported photos on the SD card? Are photos stored on the phone memory? If so, can they be moved to the SD?

What is the difference between Media Transfer and Mass Storage?

If I want to copy 200-500 mp3's, can I drag and drop with the Mass Storage option?

Is it safe in either mode to disconnect my phone's usb without the safe disconnect typically needed with flash and other ext hard drives?

Is PC companion useless for us mac users?

I think that is all for my questions.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hi, I connected like you said, I could see my SD contents. However I didn't see any of the imported photos on the SD card? Are photos stored on the phone memory? If so, can they be moved to the SD?

No, photos are stored to user accessible memory which will either be your sd card or a partition in the phone's internal memory that presents itself as an sd card. I'm sure they are there, it's just a matter of finding them.If you used Media Sync to transfer them to the phone through iTunes, I'd look for them in a mediasync folder or try the arcane folder structure of an ipod where all transferred media gets renamed and split across subfolders.

What is the difference between Media Transfer and Mass Storage?

I checked the Xperia manual and found nothing about Media Transfer, so I am going to assume it's a Mac prompt. My guess would be that your Mac detects media on a storage device and want's to know whether you want to mount it into one of Apple's media management apps. It's similar to Windows where it asks if I want to transfer photos or play music. In any event you want to mount as storage.

If I want to copy 200-500 mp3's, can I drag and drop with the Mass Storage option?

Yes you can. I usually put my music in a folder called "music" and then follow the iTunes folder structure of artist>album>tracks.mp3 When you remount the sd card (turn off usb storage) Android will scan the files and add them to your media library. It does this by reading the meta tags, not the file names so you can really name then anything and put them in any folder.

Is it safe in either mode to disconnect my phone's usb without the safe disconnect typically needed with flash and other ext hard drives?

Safe, probably but not recommended.

Is PC companion useless for us mac users?

There doesn't seem to be a Macintosh version available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones