1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Arxan's "State of security in app economies"

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rxpert83, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

This is bound to get some press and have people panicking based on the headlines generated, so I figure'd I might as well get the conversation started.

You can find the whole report here:
    https://www.arxan.com/assets/1/7/State_of_Security_in_the_App_Economy_Report_Vol._2.pdf

Methods:
    Basically, the company (which sells security services) took the top 100 app list from each app store and searched google, cydia, torrent sites ect to try to find "hacked" versions.

Results:
    Paid:
    100% of the top paid android apps "hacked"
    56% of top paid apple apps "hacked"

Free:
    73% android top free "hacked"
    53% apple top free "hacked"

So what have we learned here? Obviously, its much easier to side-load an app on android than it is iOS(where they have to jailbreak), so I'm not surprised there were many instances of apps available outside of the play store.

A potentially important thing the company did not discuss is how they defined "hacked". Was the app simply pulled and re-uploaded somewhere else? Was the app compromised and filled with malicious code?

Based on their results, it looks as though if they were able to download an app from somewhere other than the market they reported it as "hacked". IE pirated = hacked.

Clearly, downloading apps from a legitimate source is very important, but I'm not sure the emergency sirens need to be sounded just yet.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

How dangerous is it to your every-day life to have an app hacked? (Including the possibility that you may not even have downloaded that app - IOW, the total danger.)

How dangerous is it to cross the street in a busy city against the light, when drivers go through red lights too?

NYC would seem to be a better subject for these FUDD-mongers to write about. Crossing one street once in your life in mid-town Manhattan is probably a lot more dangerous than anything in this article - but millions of people do it hundreds of times a day, 5 days a week, every week.

It's proven fact that flying in an airliner is FAR less likely to cause your death than riding in (or driving) a car, yet ask the average person, and they're more afraid of flying than they are of texting while driving.

But FUDD sells papers (or website visits), "app found to be safe" doesn't.

It's an interesting article if you want to see which way we're pointing, tough. "I want my life to be absolutely, 100% guaranteed safe" and "I want absolute freedom to do anything I deem my right" are trying to pull in opposite directions at the same time, with the same strength, but it's what society is doing.

You want a phone app system that's 100% safe? You bring the phone into an approved store and they install an approved app. The phone is so tightly locked down that the software has to approve every keystroke and every nunber you dial. Still probably only 99% safe - and the 3 adults in the world who would go for it don't live where there's cellphone service. We want wide-open, no-restrictions Linux (most prople would probably prefer Windows) on our phones, but we want telepathic guards keeping us from doing anything that would cause us the slightest bit oof inconvenience. and if not doing that thing that would cause us inconvenience would, itself, cause inconvenience, it's the government's fault for not making reality such that we can do both things with no inconvenience.

(How many people, so far, have blamed Obama or the Secret Service, for the so-called sign language interpreter at Mandella's rites - when a word from Obama would have been interfering in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation? You hired him, I'm prohibited by law from having any say on whom you hire, but it's my fault if you hired the wrong guy? Can someone please explain how that works - I can't figure it out.)

We has met the emeny - and he's us.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

What i dont understand is that free apps dont have to be cracked or "hacked" to be uploaded and shared so what do they mean by "free apps hacked" :thinking::thinking:

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

They didn't define the term "hacked". That's one of my main issues with the report.

It could be that a pirated version of a free app is "hacked" based on their definition, ...but they didn't fill us in on what their definition is

funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Yeah "hacked" can mean a lot of things. Seems like panic-mongering to me

Rxpert83 likes this.