1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

As confirmed, the Evo is a crazy awesome pocket gadget

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidSPCS, Dec 20, 2010.

1. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I won't call the Evo a phone because that would be an insult.

I've used six Android devices - Samsung Moment, Evo, Epic, Vibrant, Captivate, Optimus S. I swap between the Evo and Epic every few days / week or so.

Every time I use the Evo I am continually blown away.

I took the Evo with me to Hawaii. I used it as a GPS, wifi hot spot, camera, and lastly - phone. I left my digital camera at home, and had a back up stand-alone GPS just in case, which I never needed.

The Evo worked awesome. I was able to get GPS lock in a concrete parking garage, in the middle of the garage, 2nd floor of 5 floors!!! :eek::eek: Not even my Garmin or TomTom would be able to do that!!! The Epic? That would require clear skies as well!!

The Evo is a beast. It truly amazed me on all fronts. Best GPS I have ever used. The 8MP camera worked awesome. Wifi hotspot saved my bacon literally because the "paid" internet at the resort didn't work, and I needed wifi to do some remote emergency tech work!!

The Evo surpassed my needs and expectations in every way. Simply an awesome device.

I'm now back to my Epic, giving the Evo a bit of rest... the Epic is great, don't get me wrong, but the Evo - wow what a beast!! :D

Advertisement

2. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    I agree on all fronts. :)

The reason I jumped the samsung bandwagon was the poor performance of the gps in my moment and the discussions on the gps in the epic. I'd say wanting a working gps was about 90% of my decision to get the evo and I haven't been disapointed.

I don't have any of the issues I see on this forum on my phone. It's just plain great all the time.

3. lornaevo

lornaevo Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Queens, NYC
    I too would have to say that the Evo is the best mobile device I have ever owned.

4. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    District Chief in City of Pgh. paramedic rescue se
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Ya know, when I think of what my Evo replaces it is amazing to have so much power in one small device. Let's see, I use it for GPS navigation (never let me down), my music in the truck streaming Pandora, last FM or my own library, my personal digital assistant, (she nevers lets me miss a meeting unless I forgot to tell her), I never have to miss a game or TV show because she's tapped into my home TV/cable with Slingbox, (an absolute life saver when you just have to be at the mall). She has never dropped a call unless the other caller was on an iPhone. She delivers my work, home and personal email. Tells me how much to tip the waitress, at the restaurant she recommended. When that document was missing in the meeting, ha, she came to my rescue. I speak to her and she immediately sends text messages while I'm driving. She has come to my aid as a translator, kept me entertained when I was bored and she gently wakes me up in the morning. I may well already be a polygamist because well...Evo ... I love you. :)! A beast? No she is my angel my beautiful Eva ah..ah..Evo. LOL!

5. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    :thinking:

6. MsRandall

MsRandall Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    The "Bay Area", Cali
    I love threads like this...I have owned the evo since 5/21/10 and I still love it...that coming for a phone whore like myself says something. Upgrades ...I usually dont get them because I change phones sooo much.

toomuchgame441 likes this.
  7. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Typo.. did it at 1am LOL... fixed.

8. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    thanks for the great post.

I was so on the fence about Epic or Evo...
    Got the EVO...

you post helps me confirm I did the right thing.

if the EVO is so great... why even use the EPIC?

9. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Male
    Houston, TX
    I just wanted that Epic Screen, nothing else, just like I wish my Evo had retina display :(, also nothing else. That would make this he most perfect, bestess, superest phone if those last two are even words hehe...

10. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I like variety, and it is a pure luxury to be able to swap from Evo to Epic and back.

But if you forced to me to use the Evo only, and nothing else, I would be happy for sure.

I don't really know exactly why I keep using the Epic, but it's still a nice phone in comparison to everything else Sprint has, so I guess I still keep using it. :)

11. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Yea retina display would be killer, but that will happen sooner or later so just something to look forward to! :D

12. t1jordan

t1jordan Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Baltimore
    I agree with you but, I have been in parking garages and couldn't get a GPS lock until I got near the entrance. But I do agree this is great device and continues to perform.

13. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    I agree with the OP, the Evo is a beast plain and simple and I too love threads like this. Gps on this bad boy is near flawless, I'm never quite lost. I use it primarily for the internet because its just an absolute perfect balance between functionality and portability. To be able to step away from my desktop and continue looking at the same flash enabled sites is so convenient. I make notes (love the color note) and I have all types of write ups in there some protected by passwords. Gotta use it as a media player and with apps in the market to edit my tags, its a media neat freak's dream come true.

Gotta have Games of course because everyone needs a good break to play angry birds :) and now I'm using it as a mini studio suite... got a beat making app I'm fiddling with at the moment. With every other type of device out right now, including tablets, the Evo is still my go to device. And this was all typed on my Evo as well.

14. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    You should still be able to get an agps "lock" in the garage if you have assist turned on. If you can make a call you can get agps locks. It isn't that accurate but it is still good enough for anything but nav.

15. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    I prefer the term "wicked-awesome" to "crazy-awesome".

16. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010

i prefer "cash" to "credit" for reimbursements for...

making me reading your post and responding...
    data usage..
    time usage...
    lost of time to work...
    wear and tear on my eyes, fingers, mind...
    wear and tear on my pc, kb, monitor....

:p

17. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    Send me a PM, and I'll tell you where you can put that invoice :D

18. The Sage

The Sage Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    I would have to agree with all of the above praise for the Evo. I've been using an Evo for three weeks after switching from an iPhone 3G. Prior to that I had 3 Blackberrys. The Evo and the Android OS is amazing.

I'm also using an iPad. After experiencing the Android OS on the Evo, my next tablet will be an Android. HTC will come out with the "HTC Scribe" next year running the new Android Honeycomb OS.

19. joe123

joe123 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    I truely love my EVO too! It is one of the best phones I have ever owned.

My previous phone was the HTC Hero and until the EVO, I did not realize how tiny and slooooooow my HERO was.

Don't get me wrong, the HERO is a good phone, but next to the EVO, it's like a moped next to a porsche. Both go forward, one a lot faster :D

20. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    I agree, I loved the hell out of my old Hero, it was great first Android device for me. But the EVO is just a beast speed wise and performance, so much more to do on it.

21. dgreaves

dgreaves Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    EVO Woke me up this morning. Played upbeat music to at 5:20am while I ran; kept track of my route, distance and pace. Showed me the weather while I dressed, and traffic before I set off for work. Gave me news, and some interesting philosophical arguments on the way to work. Kept me on schedule for all my meetings this morning. YouVersion at lunch, then a few angry birds for fun. Only half the day gone. On my way home I have errands: EVO will show me the ToDo list I updated from my PC GPS will help me find my way, accompanied by a variety of music supplied by Pandora. When I get home I'll grab the pair of my son's Size 9D Saucony Pro Grid Guide 3 running shoes delivered to my house this morning (According to my EVO). I ordered them late in the evening, Night-before-Last, from runningwarehouse.com on my Evo. Then I'll finish my current ebook...Kindle Android Version (reading on EVO is great for me...don't need a separate android tablet/reader). Yes of course, I also made/answered a few phone calls, emails, and texts during the day. -Dan

22. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    ^^^^ Dan to Dan..

Dan.. that was great day with your evo...

23. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    I can't wait till the inspire HD arrives for AT&T all my friends who own the EVO love there's so

24. trader914

trader914 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    I just wish HTC would make the EVO with bigger/fatter battery that will allow it to last for full 15 - 20 hours with everything up and running with one charge. The thing is huge anyway...so what's another 2mm in thickness for the added battery heft? It's almost a mini laptop already - I really wouldn't mind the added bulk to get the additional several hours of battery life. I always carry the wall charger with me and it's just a huge hassle.

Tags: