1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Ask before reboot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dstarr3, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dstarr3

dstarr3 Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Hey. I'm new to Android, love it so far. I've got a Samsung Infuse on AT&T, very nifty phone. But one thing bugs me about it. Whenever particular apps update that require a reboot of the phone, my phone will spontaneously reboot, regardless of what I'm in the middle of. Text messaging, downloading apps, navigating on Maps, even in the middle of phone calls, the phone will suddenly just shut itself off to reboot with no warning. I really hope there's a way to set up Android so that it prompts me before rebooting. Like Windows, "Reboot now or later?"

Hopefully there's a way. Anyone know?

Advertisement

2. stevenlong

stevenlong Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    Austin, TX
    One thing you could do is turn off the "Allow automatic updating" for the applications that are doing this to you.

Odd though I don't recall any program that wanted to reboot my android device. What application is wanting to reboot you?

3. dstarr3

dstarr3 Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Usually Flash, Maps, a couple others. Facebook, too, I think. As soon as the phone comes back on, it says "[so-and-so] Updated successfully," so I assume it's rebooting to complete the installation. There's no other reason for it to turn off. It could just be sitting on my desk playing music and it'll suddenly reboot and tell me something updated.

It's not terribly often. Once a week maybe. But it's still something that a phone shouldn't do.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    That is impossible. No android apps require reboot upon installation or update. Something's wrong with your phone. You might want to take it back to AT&T.

KENNECTED likes this.
  5. BadFishCM

BadFishCM Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Yeah I have to agree with snapper. The only app that wanted to reboot so far was Facebook and it definitely asked before.