• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ask me anything about the Motorola DROID MAXX!

Anyone having an issue when using Chrome and you click back sometimes it wont go back? And also if I try to back up to Google search I have to hit my back key at least 5 times and fast?

That probably has to do with following a short link that opens another site. You hit back and that opens the short link which opens the same site you were on again.

Upvote 0
Where is the File Manager?

You need to download one from Play Store. There are a lot of candidates. The one I chose was ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm&hl=en ... because it was the closest one I could fine to what I was familiar with in Windows.

Astro File Manager is another super popular one, though my personal favorite for about as long as I can remember has been Solid Explorer- I LOVE the two pane approach it uses, plus it integrates a number of cloud storage services and can read Windows shared folders/SMB and a ton of other network options

Upvote 0
There is a proximity sensor in the upper left of the display. There is no setting for turning off the display when it is covered, but it seems to. There was a thread about that in the last 10 days or so. Cover the sensor with your hand and the display will shut off.

Also, the active display will stop showing when the phone is pocketed or upside-down, or so it has been reported. I do know that you can show active display by placing the phone face down and the turning it over - active display will flash almost right away, at least in my experience.

Upvote 0
Clarification ... response was Jelly Bean ... this changed (partially) with Kit Kat ...

If I use the default launcher under Kit Kat the home screen will fade if the proximity sensor is covered. (5-7 second delay)

If I use Boat Browser or Chrome under the default launcher under Kit Kat the screen does not fade if the proximity sensor is covered.

If I use Nova Launcher Prime (my preferred launcher) under Kit Kat the home screen does not fade if the proximity sensor is covered.

If I use the default launcher or Nova Launcher Prime under Kit Kat with the Tasker profile I wrote the home screen, Boat Browser screen, and Chrome screen fades after 7 seconds if the proximity sensor is covered. If there us a response to a touchless command while in your pocket the screen will egnite and then fader again in 7 seconds.

So ... under Kit Kat turning off the screen is supported some of the time under the default launcher and all the time with the Tasker profile I wrote.

The Active Display turns off when in your pocket. When the phone is removed from your pocket the Active Display will ignite.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Pretty straight forward ...

Profile: tlaPocket
State: Proximity Sensor
Enter: Anon
A1: Variable Set [ Name:%DTOUT_Pocket To:%DTOUT Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A2: Display Timeout [ Secs:7 Mins:0 Hours:0 ]
Exit: Anon
A1: Display Timeout [ Secs:%DTOUT_Pocket Mins:0 Hours:0 ]

If the sensor is covered it saves timeout value in DTOUT_Pocket and sets the timeout to 7 seconds (the smallest amount acceptable).

If the sensor is uncovered it restores the saved timeout value from DTOUT_Pocket.

... Thom

Upvote 0
am i missing something, why is my phone not playing notification sounds while i am in a call?

Yes, people have reported that. It seems to be designed behavior.

also is there a way to make active notifications play a reminder tone for notifications?

No, Active notifications do not make sounds. You need to set sound and vibration settings at the application level.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones