• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [ASK]Xperia X8 backlight problem.

Hi, as I said I will ask so much here... :D

my x8 has a problem with a backlight...fyi I use ADW launcher on it...the problem happen while unlocking the phone, the backlight don't turn on, at the first time I always put off the battery then I realized that the phone is actually working(but with no backlight), I found it still "ON" under a bright light.

any of you experience this? many thanks for your comment or solutions.

Regards,

F.T

I have an app that lets you set brightness to 0% and that is still plenty bright enough to see - not black.

You can test how well your screen is working by going to the service menu, from the unlock screen don't unlock but press

Home Back Back Home
Back Home Home Back

And then select Service Tests and find display. When you tap the screen a number of times it goes through a range of colours and then a rainbow effect scrolling across the screen. If this is all working then I would say run a repair on Sony Ericsson Update Service which will wipe your phone so ensure your contacts are saved somewhere else. This will give you a factory reset phone to start from scratch and may resolve the issue.

If the test doesn't work or if the reset doesn't help then I would get it looked at by the professional... either via your retailer / carrier or SE direct.

Upvote 0
I have an app that lets you set brightness to 0% and that is still plenty bright enough to see - not black.

You can test how well your screen is working by going to the service menu, from the unlock screen don't unlock but press

Home Back Back Home
Back Home Home Back

And then select Service Tests and find display. When you tap the screen a number of times it goes through a range of colours and then a rainbow effect scrolling across the screen. If this is all working then I would say run a repair on Sony Ericsson Update Service which will wipe your phone so ensure your contacts are saved somewhere else. This will give you a factory reset phone to start from scratch and may resolve the issue.

If the test doesn't work or if the reset doesn't help then I would get it looked at by the professional... either via your retailer / carrier or SE direct.

the power control widget can directly put the backlight to zero %

:)

Upvote 0
Are you on 1.6 or 2.1? Because this sounds rather like the 'black screen' problem I had. The phone looks shut off but is actually still working. Sometimes, I can a little of the screen by holding it at an angle, under certain lighting conditions. I know it's not a total shutdown cos when I press the volume keys, there is sound.

Anyway, the problem is totally resolved after the 2.1 update. Hope this helps you if you haven't already updated. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones