1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support assistance required (again)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by affleck, Jun 6, 2011.

1. affleck

affleck Newbie
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    sorry to be a oain in the ass again, i have a samsung i5800 on the o2 network running firmware version 2.1-update. My question is, i can connect to internet at home using my bt home hub no problem and i was hoping someone could explain to me (in idiot speak) how to use internet when away from home, assistance as always appreciated

Advertisement

2. bjlabuk

bjlabuk Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Well, if you keep your Wi-Fi connection on, in Applications>Settings>Wireless and Network>Wi-Fi settings, then your phone will pick up any network in the close vicinity. However most of them will probably be secured with a password so you would be looking for a BT open zone or other unlocked network (very often a restaurant etc will offer free Wi-Fi access - you just have to linger around outside to use it !).

If there are none available then you can connect to the Internet by going to Settings>Wireless and Network>Mobile Network Settings. First go to Access Point Names and open your APN. Open 'APN type' and make sure you tick Internet or Internet+MMS. Okay that and press the back button until you are back at Mobile Network Settings and tick 'Use Packet Data'. A warning will appear that you will charged at the appropriate rate. For O2 it is

3. affleck

affleck Newbie
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    excellent, thanks a lot