• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

assumption of liability verizon NOT honored.

trife

Dec 14, 2009
Can someone explain to me how this is legal?

I get on a two way conversation to transfer an unlimited account to me. I was promised over and over. the girl (Erica) even stated with a scoff.. this is a recorded phone call sir. You will get the unlimited after I brought it up for a 4th time.

Wake up next day I'm on the 2 gig plan. Called the Loyalty dept. Laura said he was under a corporate account but she's pretty sure I'll get the unlimited for $30 instead of the $20 the previous owner had. She said it will take two weeks to get a response. Long story short 10 minutes after the transfer you are on the hook for breaking the contract for $175

two months go by, nobody will talk to me. nobody will cancel the $175 and I wasn't the least bit rude especially for a guy who paid money for the account, two months of service, now paying the termination fee. All while _promised_ before transfer was complete I would receive unlimited data.

I even got on twitter to talk to @VZWsupport, not a peep.

This has been by far the worst i've been treated by a company in my life. They're not even willing to negotiate. They wont honor what they said to sign me up and expect me to pay two months of bills plus a disconnect fee, and they do it in a way that actually strung me along to get an extra month of service and strung me past the 14 day grace period.

At this point all I really want from them is. how is this even possible? I'll pay the $300 fee, just explain to me how its even legal what you do to "customers"

Is my next course of action legal at this point, or is what they did completely legit far as the law goes. I know it was disgusting as far as how to treat someone.

im having a hard time following your message, from what i can understand you were promised unlimited data after taking over someones account correct?
and when you took over that account you were placed on a 2 gig plan correct?

problem with that is, verizon does have the authority to do that unfortunately.

from what i was told long ago when this tiered data plan started happening is that as long as you do not make any changes to your account you can keep unlimited data, however transfering into someones name is changes to your account, and thus you are set up with a brand new service.

so basically the girl who told you about this may have interpreted everything wrong. and gave you false information, if you still remember her name, contact customer loyalty, speak with a supervisor, and voice your opinions, do not settle for the reps, speak directly to the supervisor with your issue to get help resolving it.

sometimes you get reps who arent savy with the tech world, and the cell phone market and go by a certain script they have memorized or go by what other colleagues tell them. you need to speak to managment to get this situation resolved and i recommend you doing so.

but to answer your question, yes it is completely legal for them to do that, as unlimited data is no longer offered, and you signed the contract, the contract states verizon has the authority to change anything in your contract as they see fit(i think thats what it says)

so good luck to you and let us know what happens!

Upvote 0
^^
I was just about at that point of going legal. I asked the CSR for the transcripts where I was promised a service then after sale told no then told i couldn't return it. She said my lawyer would need to contact legal. they only talk to law enforcement or lawyers.

This is not the route i want to go at all. I was just upset that nobody even seemed to want to work things out or even explain why they can do this. I tried to say, i'll buy a phone, get hotspot, add a line. anything to make the CSR's mess up good for everyone. It was like saint said. scripted. I tried to talk to supervisors and they continued to come back with this is it. sorry you're SOL

I'm aware that if the plan can be changed by them that is fine. but dont tell me im buying a lexus then give me the keys to a civic and look at me like sorry we only have civics now and its leased to you for 2 years.

VZWsupport online seems to be interested in working this out though. weather they will is another story but its appreciated to have things looked at.

Just saying be-careful to anyone looking to buy accounts out there. Im thinking this is a tactic to kill as many unlimited accounts as possible. have CSR approve (knowingly), new customer out the $200 for the line, the $200 to close the line and the price of the line while in operation.

New customer -500
guy selling line +200
Verizon +300 and one less unlimited data account in the wild.

all for a month of service. very clever if it was a plan all im sayin'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones