• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
BorgSphere2.jpg

Upvote 0
What's the planet near the moon right now?
A fun and a decent sky reference is Google Sky Map available at the Play Store. Just hold your phone with the app running and point it at the sky like you were looking trough the phone. It will pretty much show you what you are looking at.

Upvote 0
A fun and a decent sky reference is Google Sky Map available at the Play Store. Just hold your phone with the app running and point it at the sky like you were looking trough the phone. It will pretty much show you what you are looking at.
I tried it when it first came out. I guess they've made improvements since then. I was looking Southish when I took that photo. Venus In the South? The time is a few minutes before the post. I had to do some image converting.

Upvote 0

I can see it now looking out my window, SW direction and quite bright, and according the Google Sky Map on my phone it's Jupiter. Of course I'm in China, so on the other side of the world, I don't know.

Upvote 0
(UPDATE: This post is incorrect - see my next post)

That bright planet next to the moon right now is JUPITER. It's 400 million miles away from the sun and 300 million miles away from us... yet so stupefyingly huge out there in space that it reflects enough sunlight for many people to believe it's a bright star. Venus, on the other hand, will never appear high in the sky: because its entire orbit is inside our own (It and Mercury are closer to the sun), Venus will never stray very far from the horizon and is currently visible in the eastern pre-dawn sky.

EDIT:

I went outside to take a look and yes: Jupiter is near the Moon; Venus is high in the eastern sky; and almost directly overhead, midway between them, a small reddish dot... Mars! Three planets, one magnificent view!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, I'm Chief enough to admit it... I WAS WRONG.

Late last night I went out to see the waning gibbous Moon in the east... and off to the southwest was - JUPITER! And Saturn just to the east of it. So what the heck is next to the Moon?

Well, I broke out the trusty old Google Sky Map app (I've used it since the Motorola Droid days in 2009) and discovered that the bright object near the Moon, reddish in color as it is, is MARS. Uranus is nearby, but you'd need a pretty expensive telescope to see it.

SkyMap_200906.jpg

Well, at least I was right about Venus!

:D

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I work at a 27 story building and my supervisor wouldn't let me go on the roof last night. It was like the Moon was chasing Mars. I bought a lens set not to long ago. I saw at least 4 planets and the moon last night, but I've only got a tiny tripod that id have to point up, when at that elevation I could have pointed across. Sigh...

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones