1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Asurion update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mrwirez, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Last week the phone speaker in my fifth OG Droid [two from vzw and three from Asurion] was barely audible. I had to use the speaker-phone for every call. Anyway... I called Asurion and went threw the BS steps to get to the point where they knew it was bad.

The very nice lady told me she had to offer me a NEW phone. I am not sure why, maybe the amount of replacements I have had or possibly because the OG Droid has not been made in so long. I could have gotten a factory replacement on an OG Droid, but, she had to offer me a new one first.

Asurion is now sending out these options for OG DROID replacements:
    A-Motorola Droid 2 Global
    B-Motorola Droid Eris - Yeah right... lol
    C-Motorola OG Droid refurbished, but as she said they are running out... Maybe all that's left is scrap..

I ended up getting the D2-Global... This sort of bums me out. I loved the OG Droid. I am a rom-a-holic and a tinkerer. I see I can get root, but the rom selections are next to none and the gingerbread leak will not work with the D2G .. Oh well I can get a new phone on July 3rd.. Screw Moto and their locked boot loaders.

PLEASE sign the petition for Motorola to release the bootloader encryption code here: Motorola Locked/Encrypted Bootloader Policy | groubal complaints

P.S. Anyone know of a good gingerbread rom for this locked beast?

~Wirez~

Advertisement

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    My OG Droid started having touch screen issues 5 days ago - it varied from being unresponsive, to responding to imaginary touches. It really irked me because I had dropped my insurance only about 3 weeks earlier.

I went to a Verizon store to see what my options were. Of course they tried to steer me toward an early upgrade, and I spent about 20 minutes looking at the Thunderbolt. I wasn't all that impressed, so I went back to the support counter. I explained what was going on and that I would really prefer to get another OG Droid. The nice lady there advised me that they had open enrollment in their extended warranty program, for $1.99 per month, and that if I enrolled she could have a replacement shipped to me overnight. According to her, they (Verizon, not Asurion) have over 25,000 in their warehouse.

After the horror stories I've heard about the refurb/certified-like-new I didn't know what to expect. But less than 24 hours later (she ordered the replacement at 5pm eastern time) I had a replacement in my hands. Shortly after that I had it rooted, and had my Nandroid backup restored, including my Ultimate Droid ROM.

The original device was functional enough that I could unroot it and reset to factory settings before packing it up for return.