• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Asus removes GPS spec for Prime

I saw that coming. As long as I can get a single gps fix while playing parallel kingdoms, I will be happy. If I need a gps for driving I will stick to navigon on my trusty EVO 3d.

It just sux for Asus that they listed it as having gps, sure it has the gps antenna, but I'm pretty sure they only.meant it for pinpointing single locations, not driving.its a shame they did a retraction without an official statement.

Upvote 0
It just sux for Asus that they listed it as having gps, sure it has the gps antenna, but I'm pretty sure they only.meant it for pinpointing single locations, not driving.its a shame they did a retraction without an official statement.

I thought the same thing, too. But then I saw the Transformer Prime FAQ in the downloads section of their website (here). At the very end there is a FAQ about some of the solar coatings on car windows and how they can block gps signals. Last time I saw a list of cars that had the coatings that could block the signal it wasn't all that long (it also affects the EZ-Pass transponders used on toll roads).

I don't think Asus would have put that in there if they didn't think folks would be using it in a car, and there is nothing there that would indicate it wouldn't work otherwise.

~Gary

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yet they still have it listed here:
Eee Pad | Transformer Prime | Spec

Asus are playing a dodgy game here, you cannot just remove a spec from sight if people have ordered the unit with that in mind. I would think anyone that has brought one already would have the right to take it back if they are going to play that game.

If someone ordered this tablet with the thought of using the Prime as a Navigation unit, then, imo, they weren't doing their homework.

Why would anyone believe that a wifi-only tablet would have instant Navigation ability without having data service on the road. There are so many variables to allow GPS navigation. Unless you have a data connection, then the Prime's GPS Navigation will not work like a cell phone/Garmin Navigation unit.

Upvote 0
What I am saying andygu3 is that you cannot advertise a product to have X & Y and then decide just because it is broken remove it from the spec's sheet and expect people to be happy.

You would not be very happy if it was the microSD port that was broken and all Asus did was remove that function from the spec sheet would you?

Personally i am not to worried about GPS. But I still want it fixed because the product was advertised as having that function, afterall it is a premium product we are talking about here.

Just my 2 cents on the matter. :)

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
If someone ordered this tablet with the thought of using the Prime as a Navigation unit, then, imo, they weren't doing their homework.

Why would anyone believe that a wifi-only tablet would have instant Navigation ability without having data service on the road. There are so many variables to allow GPS navigation. Unless you have a data connection, then the Prime's GPS Navigation will not work like a cell phone/Garmin Navigation unit.

Actually i used to use navigon on my acer iconia a500 (WiFi only not tethered) until I got pulled over for distracted driving.

Upvote 0

You do not need wifi or 3g to use navigation. All you need is a working gps antenna and offline apps like navigon, sygic, copilot, etc....

I know this from experience using an old omnia (no service) as a gps antenna for my Archos.

So, if the Prime has the latest Broadcom gps chip (it does) there is no reason not to expect navigation work....

Upvote 0
What I am saying andygu3 is that you cannot advertise a product to have X & Y and then decide just because it is broken remove it from the spec's sheet and expect people to be happy.

You would not be very happy if it was the microSD port that was broken and all Asus did was remove that function from the spec sheet would you?

Personally i am not to worried about GPS. But I still want it fixed because the product was advertised as having that function, afterall it is a premium product we are talking about here.

Just my 2 cents on the matter. :)

Exactly +1

Upvote 0

Flyer and View work well with the function, but are more practical being 7" tablets. And the GPS works great.

Upvote 0
What are you people talking about saying that they surely did not mean for it to be used for navigaiton and that anyone that thought so did not do their homework ? There is no defense for this. The Xoom is older and worked very well for in car , turn by turn navigation. Also do not forget that you can use your 3G/4G phone as a hotspot. I did this with the Xoom for my in car navigation.

I do not understand people that would even attempt to defend this. Not to offend anyone but the first thing I think of when I see defense being made for such an obvious screw up is Zealot. Its seems far to easy for people to point out GPS as an extra feature you must pay for on the iPad 2 but then easily dismiss it as a feature that is not really that important, and not because it isn't, but because it simply does not work right.

Personally I do not need the GPS so much for navigation now but I do see it as feature I paid for and would like it available for navigation if needed. If they are in fact going to stop marketing that feature then that tells me they know it cannot be fixed easily, which tells me its a design issue.

Upvote 0

Most of us do it all the time. Actually that is exactly the direction the FAA is taking all aircraft navigation. Both of my Garmin screens display my position on the map, altitude, airspeed, ground speed, etc. I also expect my Prime to be usable for navigation not only on the ground but at 200 MPH in the air.

G3X_Panel.jpg

Upvote 0
Most of us do it all the time. Actually that is exactly the direction the FAA is taking all aircraft navigation. Both of my Garmin screens display my position on the map, altitude, airspeed, ground speed, etc. I also expect my Prime to be usable for navigation not only on the ground but at 200 MPH in the air.

G3X_Panel.jpg

I planned on using it flying our V35B. :D

Upvote 0

G3X_Panel.jpg

Well I'd much rather fly with you while you're using a Garmin for navigation and not a tablet. If I want a GPS I'll buy a GPS. I did not and would not buy a tablet because of a gps. That being said, I'm not defending Asus whatsoever. They need to right their wrong.

Upvote 0
What are you people talking about saying that they surely did not mean for it to be used for navigaiton and that anyone that thought so did not do their homework ? There is no defense for this. The Xoom is older and worked very well for in car , turn by turn navigation. Also do not forget that you can use your 3G/4G phone as a hotspot. I did this with the Xoom for my in car navigation.

I do not understand people that would even attempt to defend this. Not to offend anyone but the first thing I think of when I see defense being made for such an obvious screw up is Zealot. Its seems far to easy for people to point out GPS as an extra feature you must pay for on the iPad 2 but then easily dismiss it as a feature that is not really that important, and not because it isn't, but because it simply does not work right.

Personally I do not need the GPS so much for navigation now but I do see it as feature I paid for and would like it available for navigation if needed. If they are in fact going to stop marketing that feature then that tells me they know it cannot be fixed easily, which tells me its a design issue.

By no means am I attempting to defend the GPS problems but forgive me for pointing out numerous times that the whole GPS issue may be resolved by an os update or a kernel update. I'm just amazed at this whole situation with GPS being such a large issue, but that's just me.

I guess individuals were buying this tablet with the added bonus for driving directions or flying navigation. But buying a tablet with GPS navigation is an added bonus, imo. If this makes me a zealot, then so be it but I also have been flashing custom roms and one day nothing works and then the following day the same rom has everything working.

I'm not going to dump the Prime 15 days after it's released because the initial build has a flaw in the GPS. Again, some say this is a design flaw and if that's the case and GPS navigation will NEVER work, then I'll be right behind everyone else but I'm siding on the side of a build/kernel issue right now. Until further development is done I'm not going to jump ship with the initial release build of the Prime

Android is always developing but imo, if anything, I believe more people should be pissed over the bootloader being locked than this GPS issue. Open source rules android and if ASUS doesn't want to push out updates to help with the GPS issue, then unlock the bootloader and allow developers to try and fix the issue. Yesterday, ASUS pushed out an update to maybe correct the GPS problems, so it's starting to be addressed but it may take time.

Again, design flaw, bad ASUS:mad: for publicly marketing a tablet that was said to be a working GPS navigation unit. Good ASUS:) for future updates to fix the GPS issue and possibly other issues

Now if ASUS decided to stop delivering Primes to people because of the design flaw/os/build/kernel issue, think what a mess it would be and still is. Maybe the initial built Primes have these flaws and future built Primes will have the issues fixed. But that's the risk of buying something that had never been built before, a quad-core tablet. I'm enjoying the Prime for all the other features and not just for the GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones