1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ASUS Tablet vs. House

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rgornowicz, Jun 13, 2011.

1. rgornowicz

rgornowicz Lurker

I just bought my transformer a week ago and everything was working fine until yesterday when I noticed a burnt plastic type smell in my house near where my charging cable was. I immediately unplugged my surge protector from the wall and started examining cables to find out what happened.

Everything else was fine except for my Transformer charging cable. The end where it plugs into the tablet had completely melted to my carpet. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

When I called ASUS support they immediately told me that it was my problem and I would have to buy another cable. I was a little upset at the callousness of the support rep, but I finally got him to agree to let me ship the cable in to have their technicians look at it. I've been a happy ASUS customer for several years now, but I feel as if they really dropped the ball on this one.

The score is currently House: 1 ASUS Tablet: 0, but I am tempted to take device back to store and get the Acer tablet. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kampfwolf09

kampfwolf09 Well-Known Member

I've noticed the adapter is pretty warm. Did you have you plugged into a surge protector? Anything else plugged into that wall socket?

3. dhoffman1421

dhoffman1421 Android Enthusiast

I'll have to keep an eye on mine next charging. I know nothing about the Acer, what OS is it using?

4. clgwli

clgwli Well-Known Member

I haven't had anything like that at all, sorry. In fact I accidentally left my charger plugged in w/o charging my tablet and everything was very cold. Only while charging does it sometimes get a wee bit warm, but not worse than my cell phone.

I actually think it is fair that they want to examine it as it could've been a your surge protector as well. It wouldn't be enough for me to return it and get the Acer (didn't care for that tablet at all)

5. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Android Enthusiast

Make sure you send the charger as well as the cable. Have to say it sounds faulty or user fault as mine has never got ho and certainly doesn't get hot whilst charging it.

Ben

6. rgornowicz

rgornowicz Lurker

The adapter was plugged into the surge protector with my laptop and my phone charger. It had melted when it wasn't plugged into my tablet.

I had to fight to get it looked at by an engineer. Their first response was it's your fault and there is nothing we are willing to do. It took almost 10-15 minutes just to get him to give me the RMA number.

I'm thinking I might take it to the retailer first to see if I can get them to exchange it.

7. ksmith0034

ksmith0034 Lurker

The first time I charged my TF the power adapter got HOT! It was so hot I thought it would catch on fire. So I did some research and found a post somewhere that suggested that the adapters don't have the two sizes of prongs for polarity like modern US outlets have. They said to flip the charger when pluggin it in, which I did. (I believe the cut-outs for the prongs face up when I plug mine in now)
    I have not had a hot charger ever since I started plugging my charger in this other way!

Incredirebel likes this.
  8. Matthiasdb

Matthiasdb Newbie

Don't know how things work over there in the US, but isn't a wall socket always AC? (except for the red 24V safety voltage sockets) In Belgium anyway...
    so flipping the charger cannot make any diffirence...

I also noticed that my power adapter gets smokin' hot sometimes. And I'm kinda freaking out right now since I left it (and the AETF) plugged in underneith my tv on the carpet at home... fingers crossed for when I get home tonight

9. pooohbaah

pooohbaah Newbie

It seems incredibly stupid of Asus to give you trouble about this. With the real possibility of a lawsuit, or at the very least bad publicity, they should be falling all over themselves to give you a new charger for free and investigate the cause.

Ask for your case to be elevated. A higher level manager would probably love to solve an issue like this for a few dollars of postage and a few dollars of manufacturing cost.

My own power plug and cable have been plugged in since I got the Transformer. The possibility that it could burst into flames is a little scary.

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Forum

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 10.1" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, and Nvidia Tegra 2 T20 processor.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews