1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

at power on, 1 long, 2 short beeps X 2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Odyssey42, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Odyssey42

Odyssey42 Lurker

When I power on my Note 2 recently, it emits one long, two short sounds, then repeats once. I hesitate to call them beeps. They are more like the raspy noise that radio public service messages (like the emergency broadcast system tests) use.

Anyone had this? Know what it is and how to turn it off?

Thanks,
    robert

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

If it was a computer, I would say it was a diagnostic error code being sent out by the motherboard during POST. For a computer, that code is more generally associated with a video card problem.

Of course, not sure about a phone. Is it happening every time you are booting now?

3. Odyssey42

Odyssey42 Lurker

Each time, thanks.

4. NeoGrandizer

Try booting into safe mode and see if it beeps the same. To boot into safe mode, simply power off the device and hold down the power and volume down buttons together. When the Note II splash screen appears, release only the power button but continue holding down the volume down button. Release the volume down button when it has fully booted and you see 'Safe mode' on the bottom left side of the screen. To exit safe mode, just reboot the system.

If it's still emitting the same beep code, I would probably have it looked at. It is more than likely a diagnostic code of some sort.

5. Odyssey42

Odyssey42 Lurker

Will do, as soon as I can figure out how to get this Otterbox case off.

If the sound ceases, then it is an app issue or what? If an app, how do I figure out which is the offender?

Thanks.

6. Odyssey42

Odyssey42 Lurker

Finally got the case off and booted into safe mode. beeps still there.

Before I take it to a Verizon store for attention, I will take the battery out and replace.

However if doing so is going to remove anything, lose data, restore default settings, etc. I need to prepare. Does anyone have any cautions before removing the battery?

Thanks.

7. Odyssey42

Odyssey42 Lurker

Went ahead and removed the battery. No cigar!

I think the "beeps" are the Amber Alert signal. When I set up my phone at time of purchase, I elected to receive AA's. I think that something have to do with it has gone pear-shaped.

How do I turn off Amber Alerts (can't find it now)?

8. NeoGrandizer

Removing the battery should have no effect on the phone. However, I would suggest doing a backup regardless. In case something does happen. Especially since I have not encountered a situation like this before.

9. Odyssey42

Odyssey42 Lurker

Solution!

Found the messaging app that came with the phone, and turned off Amber Alert notifications under Emergency Alerts. The beeps have gone away.

Now, given that there was no beep series at power up until a couple of weeks ago, I am left wondering how it got turned on, or whether some kind of something is being received daily that wasn't before. Won't lose too much sleep over it, though. Neither will my wife now that my phone doesn't wake her when I turn it on at the other end of the house.

NeoGrandizer likes this.
  10. NeoGrandizer

Thanks for the update. Good to know. :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews