• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T a32 Failed to activate with Straight Talk, now locked to their network

RatherLoopy

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
I purchased an open box Samsung Galaxy a32 on eBay last week. When it arrived and I powered it on, it went straight to the AT&T activation screen but I wanted to use it with my existing Straight Talk service so I pulled the AT&T sim and inserted a new Straight Talk AT&T network sim and tried to get the phone activated. After several hours and multiple chats with Straight Talk support, during which the phone never activated on their network, I decided to give up on them and just start new prepaid service with AT&T.

When I put the AT&T sim back in the phone, though, it's now asking for a network unlock code. I can put the Straight Talk sim back in the phone and it boots normally (but no service since it never fully activated). So it seems that the Straight Talk activation attempt locked my phone to their network, and Straight Talk refuses to help me or to provide an unlock code. The last guy I talked to told me flat out that they will absolutely not issue an unlock code for a BYOP device (but everyone I talk to has a different story, so who knows?).

Another wrinkle; the local AT&T store sent me to the AT&T unlocking page (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/). I filled out the online form along with the phone's IMEI but the unlocking process reports "Looks like the device you want to unlock is active on another AT&T account. The owner has to remove it from their account first." I don't know if the AT&T message is the result of its finding the IMEI locked to another network or if the phone really is active on someone's AT&T account.

The eBay seller is supposed to be asking the original owner for details about the phone maybe still being active on their account but in the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone here can offer me any hope or helpful suggestions. The phone's returnable but it seems like my activation attempt tmessed it up and I really don't want the seller to take the heat for that.

So can I do anything to fix this? Would an unlocking service (there's only one on Craigslist in my area) be able to clear a Straight Talk lock on an AT&T phone? Or is there a reputable, guaranteed online unlocking service I can try? Or another way to unlock/clear the network selection?

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

i think that the IMEI was already locked to another account regardless of what you did. this is why i will never buy a used phone, especially from ebay. that should always be the very first thing that you do which is to verify that the IMEI is clean and not blacklisted or is still active from the previous owner.

to reduce your headache, i would see if you can return the phone to the seller.

Upvote 0
i think that the IMEI was already locked to another account regardless of what you did. this is why i will never buy a used phone, especially from ebay. that should always be the very first thing that you do which is to verify that the IMEI is clean and not blacklisted or is still active from the previous owner.

to reduce your headache, i would see if you can return the phone to the seller.

The IMEI comes up clean when I check it online, but I don't know where to find a truly authoritative IMEI check, so who knows what data these online checks are looking at.

But I do think that AT&T's report of the IMEI being active on someone's account could well have caused the botched activation in the first place, and the botched activation looks like it caused the carrier lock so ultimately, you may be right that I didn't do anything wrong and the phone was at fault for everything.

It was listed on eBay as returnable so maybe I will return it. I'd love to keep it - it's in perfect condition - but it's not much use if I can't clear the carrier lock and get it activated.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The IMEI comes up clean when I check it online, but I don't know where to find a truly authoritative IMEI check, so who knows what data these online checks are looking at.

But I do think that AT&T's report of the IMEI being active on someone's account could well have caused the botched activation in the first place, and the botched activation looks like it caused the carrier lock so ultimately, you may be right that I didn't do anything wrong and the phone was at fault for everything.

It was listed on eBay as returnable so maybe I will return it. I'd love to keep it - it's in perfect condition - but it's not much use if I can't clear the carrier lock and get it activated.
1. What's the model number of the device?

2. From Settings --> About --> Software Information, what's the "Service Provider SW Ver" info?

Upvote 0
1. What's the model number of the device?

2. From Settings --> About --> Software Information, what's the "Service Provider SW Ver" info?

The issue was resolved this morning when I discovered the actual AT&T SIM in the phone's box, where I put it before trying to activate it with Straight Talk. I'm guessing the SIM I was trying to use was a Straight Talk Verizon-network SIM that had failed to activate the week before?

I'm surprised it rejected the Verizon SIM, though. I thought the Straight Talk version of the A32 (S326DL) was dual band and compatible with Verizon and AT&T, but I guess the AT&T version (SM-A326U) is not?

Anyhoo, I'm a dumbass and I owe a lot of people at Straight Talk an apology, and you guys too for wasting your time with this. I still needed a fresh AT&T SIM from the phone store, but I got the phone activated and my number ported over today.

Thanks, all.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised it rejected the Verizon SIM, though. I thought the Straight Talk version of the A32 (S326DL) was dual band and compatible with Verizon and AT&T, but I guess the AT&T version (SM-A326U) is not?
Both models are dual band and both are compatible with both networks, but both will still come SIM locked to their original carrier by default. So yes, an AT&T phone is going to give you an error message when you insert a SIM that uses Verizon towers, just like a Straight Talk phone will give you an error message if you insert an AT&T SIM

Upvote 0
Both models are dual band and both are compatible with both networks, but both will still come SIM locked to their original carrier by default. So yes, an AT&T phone is going to give you an error message when you insert a SIM that uses Verizon towers, just like a Straight Talk phone will give you an error message if you insert an AT&T SIM

That's good to know, thanks. I don't see myself needing to move back to Verizon, but it's good to know I have the option with that phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones