• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Cricket / AIO SGH-I337Z (jflteaio) TWRP 2.7 Recovery

hroark13

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2011
WARNING IF YOU INSTALL THIS YOU SET YOUR KNOX WARRANTY VOID FLAG TO 1

I am not responsible for any damage you do by trying to install this or by using it

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE AIO / CRICKET GALAXY S4 (jflteaio)

I put this in the ATT section, because there was no forum for Cricket and Cricket is owned by AT&T

I HAVE TESTED IT WITH MY PHONE WHICH IS ORIGINALLY FROM AIO AND IS RUNNING 4.4.2 (I337ZTUUBNE2)

I AM NOT SURE IF CRICKET IS NOW PUTTING OUT DIFFERENT MODELS OR NOT, SO MAKE SURE IT IS SGH-I337Z with a Z at the end

YOU MUST BE ROOTED TO INSTALLED THIS (I ROOTED WITH TOWEL ROOT)

Download
https://www.mediafire.com/?j6ml64w1ldixklq

You have to use adb or terminal

copy the download to you internal sd card

open terminal

su

dd if=/sdcard/jflteaio_twrp.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Since this is new, there may be bugs, so if you find them report them

All Credit to team TeamWin / Dees_Troy since this recovery was ported from the ATT version of TWRP

.hK

hroark13, could you pls post step-by-step how to install this recovery (for idiots)? I have a i337z, I rooted it with towelroot and I tried to install SS recovery that works on i337 but dindn't work on my i337z. Can you please explain what is terminal, how to get it and where to type in that command. We idiots would greatly appreciate that.

Upvote 0
A terminal is essentially a command prompt. It's simply a program that is able to take a command. You can find this on playstore. Search for terminal. First one is it. (Terminal emulator). Open it. And click anywhere near the text it should show after opening. This will bring up your keyboard. Then simply type his code in...
(Enter means send/enter key on keyboard.)
su (enter)

dd if=/sdcard/jflteaio_twrp.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery (enter)

And done. ;)

Reactions: hroark13
Upvote 0
Reactions: DaisFlaque
Upvote 0
I HAVE TESTED IT WITH MY PHONE WHICH IS ORIGINALLY FROM AIO AND IS RUNNING 4.4.2 (I337ZTUUBNE2)

I AM NOT SURE IF CRICKET IS NOW PUTTING OUT DIFFERENT MODELS OR NOT, SO MAKE SURE IT IS SGH-I337Z with a Z at the end

YOU MUST BE ROOTED TO INSTALLED THIS (I ROOTED WITH TOWEL ROOT)

Hi hroark13, thanks for posting this. I just got a galaxy S4 (SGH-I337Z) from Cricket. I'm running 4.4.2 (I337ZTUUBND3). Do you think with my model I can use this version of TWRP? And do you think towel root will root the phone? Oh and another bit of info, I'm running on Security: MDF v1.0 release 2...Again thank you!

btw I followed your thread on "CM11 Developer and Tester thread for ZTE MSM 8x30 devices"...I had the ZTE Overture before, so... Sorry you had to deal with a user that was not grateful. I appreciate you even taking the time to try to get that project going. Enough ranting from me, lol. thanks again and take care! :)

Upvote 0
Hi hroark13, thanks for posting this. I just got a galaxy S4 (SGH-I337Z) from Cricket. I'm running 4.4.2 (I337ZTUUBND3). Do you think with my model I can use this version of TWRP? And do you think towel root will root the phone? Oh and another bit of info, I'm running on Security: MDF v1.0 release 2...Again thank you!

btw I followed your thread on "CM11 Developer and Tester thread for ZTE MSM 8x30 devices"...I had the ZTE Overture before, so... Sorry you had to deal with a user that was not grateful. I appreciate you even taking the time to try to get that project going. Enough ranting from me, lol. thanks again and take care! :)

towel root should work, I am pretty sure that is what is used

this twrp should also work

let me know what happens

Reactions: raydantheman
Upvote 0
towel root should work, I am pretty sure that is what is used

this twrp should also work

let me know what happens

I successfully rooted, but I had trouble getting twrp installed with the command dd. I used the terminal emulator in rom toolbox pro to attempt, because I have no idea how to do adb, lol. tried to boot into recovery and I didn't even get the stock recovery...should I flash the recovery again, this time with Nandroid Manager Pro?

EDIT: I also have superSU installed and working...More info on the path, Nandroid Manager Pro wants to install the recovery here: /dev/block/mmcblk0p21 ...would that work or brick the device?

Upvote 0
I can access TWRP now! I tried flashing again. But this time I tried booting into recovery with Nandroid Manager Pro(not flashing with it) instead of VolumeUp Power and Home buttons combo. Unless I simply got the combo wrong, lol. hroark, can you tell me the button combo you use to get to TWRP when you power on yours? Thanks :)

EDIT: I answered my own question. Sorry to waste everyone's time, but for any noobs I found the answer here for the key combo to boot into recovery:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2290771

Upvote 0
I rooted and installed this TWRP recovery on my Cricket i337z with 4.4.2. Thanks! I'm confused about flashing this, or any, ROM because everything I read says we have to use Safestrap recovery to flash roms with 4.4.2. Do you also have to flash a custom kernel when using this TWRP recovery, or can I just flash this rom using TWRP? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I had lots of problems trying to flash the Skyfall ROM using this version of TWRP. Maybe this is because of the options within the Skyfall installer, but here's what I've done without getting it installed with everything working:

Try 1, I chose i337 AT&T USA as the Carrier Selection, and AT&T Safestrap users (Skip Kernel Flash). After reboot, it got stuck at the Samgung Galaxy S4 boot screen.
Try 2, chose i337 AT&T Safestrap as the Carrier Selection and AT&T Safestrap users (Skip Kernel Flash), and it started up running the Skyfall ROM, but wifi is broken. The wifi on button is grayed out and can't be turned on.
Try 3, repeated try 2 with the same results of wifi broken.
Try 4 and Try 5, chose i337 AT&T USA as the Carrier Selection and flashed with different kernels, Talexop 3.3 and Ktoonsez 7-14-14, but it froze on the boot screen with the words "kernel is not seandroid enforced."
Try 6 & 7, chose i337 AT&T USA as the Carrier Selection, and AT&T Safestrap users (Skip Kernel Flash) it got stuck at the boot screen. Flashed a second time without clearing data and it got past the boot screen, but froze on the Samsung screen.

Gave up and restored back to the stock Cricket. Skyfall looks nice, but it's not usable without wifi. If anyone knows a way to get Skyfall installed on a Cricket S4 with wifi working, I would appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
For anyone who's trying to install TWRP and a custom ROM on a Cricket i337z, I installed Goldeneye on the first try. I chose i337 AT&T Safestrap. after installing and reboot it took a little time at the Samsung screen then booted. Based on my experience with these ROMs on a Cricket S4 I would recommend installing |ROM|★GOLDENEYE v46★|►ZHUFNK2◄|Nov.29.14|★ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2313469.

p.s. before you do anything in TWRP, make a backup of your Cricket stock rom. If you do so, you can always revert to your stock operation.

Upvote 0
One last post to say that I got wifi working with Skyfall. I flashed the ROM as AT&T Safestrap in the Aroma installer, and selected to not write the Kernel (AT&T Safestrap). Then I flashed the module files for my phone, which was on build ND3. In theory, you can flash any AT&T or T-mobile TW ROM if you flash your phone's modules after flashing the ROM. I got a T-mobile ROM working doing this. I posted a link to the ND3 and NE2 module files for an i337z on xda-developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57407130&postcount=75. You could also pull your own phone's modules from a TWRP backup and replace the ones in the zip files if you're on a different baseband. Goldeneye worked fine even though it flashes a kernel, but it sets a flag on startup that the kernel has been flashed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am having an issue with restoring a backup. I am on TWRP 2.7.1.0 and running the Skyfall ROM. I wanted to try another ROM and didn't like it so I restored my backup. Now I can not write to internal or external sd cards, I can only view. Is there a fix for this? I checked the permissions and they are set to allow read and write. Could this be a glitch with 2.7.1.0? Is there a way to port the latest version of TWRP to our device? I noticed that version 2.8.3.0 is released for most devices but the jflteaio is not one of them.

Upvote 0
Did you do an advanced wipe and clear data, system and cache before restoring your backup? If not, I would suggest doing so and try restoring again.
Yes I did. I tried to wipe it all at the same time and individually. and I still had a problem with that backup. Could there be an issue with trying a lollipop ROM? I have not tried any others. The same thing happened on 2 devices when I went back to kitkat.

Upvote 0
I had lots of problems trying to flash the Skyfall ROM using this version of TWRP. Maybe this is because of the options within the Skyfall installer, but here's what I've done without getting it installed with everything working:

Try 1, I chose i337 AT&T USA as the Carrier Selection, and AT&T Safestrap users (Skip Kernel Flash). After reboot, it got stuck at the Samgung Galaxy S4 boot screen.
Try 2, chose i337 AT&T Safestrap as the Carrier Selection and AT&T Safestrap users (Skip Kernel Flash), and it started up running the Skyfall ROM, but wifi is broken. The wifi on button is grayed out and can't be turned on.
Try 3, repeated try 2 with the same results of wifi broken.
Try 4 and Try 5, chose i337 AT&T USA as the Carrier Selection and flashed with different kernels, Talexop 3.3 and Ktoonsez 7-14-14, but it froze on the boot screen with the words "kernel is not seandroid enforced."
Try 6 & 7, chose i337 AT&T USA as the Carrier Selection, and AT&T Safestrap users (Skip Kernel Flash) it got stuck at the boot screen. Flashed a second time without clearing data and it got past the boot screen, but froze on the Samsung screen.

Gave up and restored back to the stock Cricket. Skyfall looks nice, but it's not usable without wifi. If anyone knows a way to get Skyfall installed on a Cricket S4 with wifi working, I would appreciate the help.
Wait. Do you have the stock ROM files with you? I have a broken Modem file and can't use wofo or calling. Could you share your stock files please????

Upvote 0
I reverted to ND3 by using a backup I made immediately after getting my phone. I don't have the modem.bin file for ND3. I did grab the stock i337 MH1 firmware from Samsung Kies before it bricked my phone. I can post that if you need it, but you can't revert to a lower modem to my knowledge. Your best bet if you're in the USA is to go to a Best Buy and have them flash your phone to stock for you.

To get Kies to download the stock firmware, I followed this guide to extract the stock firmware from Kies: http://teamcspire.com/index.php?/to...s-for-return-to-stock-tarmd5-for-use-in-odin/
Don't connect your phone before starting Kies, then go to Tools>Firmware Upgrade and Initialization, enter a model number of SGH-I337Z (all caps) and then your phone's serial number. The upgrade failed and my phone was stuck in recovery mode. I then took it to Best Buy and asked the Samsung Experience guy to flash it for me. Ten minutes later, I ended up with the NE2 modem on my working phone.

Reactions: rcraft
Upvote 0
Is there a way you could backup your system, boot cache (and efs if possible) of the ne2 using twrp or any other custom, so I can restore from there? I think that would work with no issues. Thanks!

BTW: I flashed SlimKat ROM and WiFi works with no issues. Still no calls nor sound (no imei/baseband, they show as unknown)

Upvote 0
For anyone who's trying to install TWRP and a custom ROM on a Cricket i337z, I installed Goldeneye on the first try. I chose i337 AT&T Safestrap. after installing and reboot it took a little time at the Samsung screen then booted. Based on my experience with these ROMs on a Cricket S4 I would recommend installing |ROM|★GOLDENEYE v46★|►ZHUFNK2◄|Nov.29.14|★ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2313469.

p.s. before you do anything in TWRP, make a backup of your Cricket stock rom. If you do so, you can always revert to your stock operation.

Hi Bonchien, so you installed Goldeneye by following the instructions here? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59980632&postcount=16811.

Did you flash those zips and kernel too?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I did not flash a Kernel like that thread instructs you to do. I just flashed the ROM selecting AT&T and Safestrap. What I have found is that I've been able to flash many more TW roms by flashing the modules immediately after I flash the ROM.

Pardon the newb question, but I've never used safestrap before. Can I flash the Goldeneye rom directly from TWRP using the GE v51 zip file? And then just flash modules in TWRP found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57407130&postcount=75?

Upvote 0
Yes, you can just flash Goldeneye from TWRP. Make a backup first in case all goes wrong. Safestrap provides a somewhat limited version of TWRP that can be used to backup and flash ROMs. S4 users had to Safestrp before we could install TWRP recovery on our phones. I installed Goldeneye 4.6 on my S4 using TWRP without any issues. Makesure you install the correct modules for your phones Baseband version, ND3 or NE2.

Upvote 0
Ok - so I'm having some issues after attempting to flash Goldeneye GE v51.

Steps:
1) Booted into TWRP recovery, installed GE v51 zip.
2) It launches the aroma installer meu and I go through the prompts, choosing at&t safestrap as my first option.
3) I skip the kernel installation.
4) When finished I uncheck "reboot device now" so that I can flash the ne2 modules.
5) I flash ne2 modules, then reboot system.

Once I reboot, it tries to reboot but then seems to fail and simply reboots again into twrp menu.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones