• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Experts, Please help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

rebel2401

Lurker
Mar 18, 2014
Hi there, I am a pretty tech savy guy, I dont know why I am having so much trouble rooting my galaxy S4,

I have tried 2 methods so far, and followed the instructions carefully, I dont know why its not.
The first method are the instructions in this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLHt_HCWwr0

The second method is using Kingo, the error I got there is:
It said "Root Failed! Flash Failed"

any ideas why its doing this or more importantly, how to fix it? It's a pretty fresh phone so I can't imagine I could have done much to cause it difficulty.

Here is a pic of the error I'm getting

picture share

I appreciate your help really need to root it as soon as possible
Thank you

There is no root yet for the AT&T S4 on 4.4.2. There is a way though to flash Safestrap recovery, and get a custom rom on, though supported roms are limited. Like @windsorclarenc said, it should be rootable soon.. I feel it will be rootable the day the 4.4.2 bootloader is cracked..

Reactions: kevp75
Upvote 0
Reactions: bill.g
Upvote 0
I just wanted to add my 2 cents - that video above is for the International version and not AT&T.

I was looking to upgrade to the GS5 but they never came out with a 32GB version, so I got tired of waiting and decided to do the workaround with my GS4 and it so far works great. I was on the NB1 firmware and I had to downgrade to MK2 to root and flash a custom ROM with the safestrap recovery. There are some decent ROMs out there and like kevp75 said, it works really well. It takes a bit of patience and following instructions, but this gave my GS4 a new lease on life and I probably will hold off until the GS6.

Upvote 0
Can we get a link? I need to root this beast ASAP. I just got the phone and already had to update around 20 apps. That's a lot of bloat!

Edit: I found a root method on xda by geohot. Easiest root ever. Now to find a recovery that works...

Could you please post the link to the one you are using (root thread at xda)... I want to make sure to use the right one. Thanks

Upvote 0
Can we get a link? I need to root this beast ASAP. I just got the phone and already had to update around 20 apps. That's a lot of bloat!

Edit: I found a root method on xda by geohot. Easiest root ever. Now to find a recovery that works...
Towelroot won't unlock the boot loader. So no custom ROMs for the ATT or VZW devices yet.. I'm not sure if safestrap works.. You might want to check it out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones