• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[AT&T] facepalm s off for evita(one XL)

Hello.

I missed this as well. Thanks for the link. I have been so happy with my phone on ViperX that I haven't played with it for a very long time.

And now for the S-Off. When I was flashing roms I was unable to do anything with the kernel because my hboot was too new. If I perform the s-off, will I be able to flash custom kernels now? I'm assuming I should be able to as my memory will should be unlocked. But just wanted to ask before blindly trying.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Hello.

I missed this as well. Thanks for the link. I have been so happy with my phone on ViperX that I haven't played with it for a very long time.

And now for the S-Off. When I was flashing roms I was unable to do anything with the kernel because my hboot was too new. If I perform the s-off, will I be able to flash custom kernels now? I'm assuming I should be able to as my memory will should be unlocked. But just wanted to ask before blindly trying.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

you can flash custom kernels now. its more of a PITA,as recovery cannot install them. they need to be manually installed via fastboot.

turning the security off will let you flash kernels naturally in recovery,and it will give you access to change other parts of your phone,like the splash image,hboot,radios,etc. you also can reset your lock status flag so that the hboot screen reads locked instead of relocked should you need to turn the phone in for warranty purposes.

since your phone will be doing no security checks whatsoever,just make sure you are cautious what you flash. make sure you know what an md5sum is,and double check it before flashing. be espeically cautious with any file that contains a radio or bootloader,as a bad flash of either of these can leave the phone permantly unrecoverable.

just holler if you have further questions :)

Reactions: geewhiz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones