1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[AT&T] Factory Restore an Encrypted Galaxy S3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 1ofakind, Aug 25, 2012.

1. 1ofakind

1ofakind Lurker

Model: Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T i747

Hi!

I was forced to encrypt my galaxy s3 in order to receive corporate emails on my phone using the stock email app. However I never imagined that encrypting the phone would literally lock the memory and options to customize the phone.
    I tried to root the phone to benefit from more flexibility and also debloat the phone. However during the rooting process, I could not mount /emmc/ when using ClockWorkRecovery in the startup menu. Based on what I found on the web, I figured it was due to the encryption.

I then tried to factory reset the phone to get rid of the encryption but I simply can't hard reset the phone from the OS or the startup menu. When doing the reset from the startup menu, the errors are "Can't mount /sdcard/". The reset continues but when the phone reboots, all my applications and personal data are there and the phone is still encrypted.

I read a lot about flashing a custom recovery via flashboot or ADB but I am reluctant to do it without guidance from the experts (you guys).

I deleted my corporate email account (It is my personal phone, I am not required to install exchange on it).

I tried to use an external sd card but as soon as the phone recoginizes it, I have to encrypt the card as well as a result from the corporate policies. I ejected the card and did not encrypt it.

I am new to android (long time iPhone user) and I would really appreciate your guidance on the methods to factory reset my phone or a different technique to get rid of the encryption because I am really stuck right now.

2. doubleshocker

doubleshocker Lurker

I've got a solution for you in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/613958-decrypt-galaxy-s3.html#post5044172

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews