1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General AT&T Finally Forcing 2.3.6?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mattroid, May 12, 2012.

1. Mattroid

Mattroid Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Director of Support
    I never did update to 2.3.6, but now I have a notification that I can't get rid of (I can only postpone the update). When this update first launched, I remember reading some people saying just to wait for ICS (I don't care to flash the leaked rom), but I guess I need to go ahead and install 2.3.6.

Do I need to unroot or can I just run with the update as-is? I've read many people complain about the update failing and/or screwing up their phones and I'd of course rather avoid that if possible.

Advertisement

2. patch321

patch321 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    i, personally, have never known an OTA update to keep root. if you want to stay rooted, i would advise against updating. or you could update and re-root using ODIN as it is the only way i was able to root my 2.3.6 phone.

3. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    They are not only forcing it but will auto update soon if not already. Because of all the bricked phones I told my wife to just skip the update, and she always has. Well yesterday the phone updated while she was on a call and she was never given an option to stop it; she is not rooted but... Given that I doubt being rooted will cause the brick, with how many issues sammy has had with OTA bricking, I would remove root just to be safe.

4. Mattroid

Mattroid Newbie
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Director of Support
    Ultimately I had to run the update. It only lets you postpone it some many times before forcing itself. However, if you have CWM recovery installed, then the update will fail every time on reboot, which appeared as if it would continue to restart the download and postpone period, so I suppose you could technically continue to do that if you really wanted, but it'd get more than annoying after a while.

I ended up having the flash the stock recovery back to get it to complete. I appear to still have root after the 2.3.6 update, though.