• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T (G900A) update - 717.77MB?

This morning I checked AT&T's Software update page for the S5, and the most recent update is a security update was released on May 3, 2016.

I had already applied this update. But for fun, I decided to check for software updates through the device's settings. When I did this, I received the following message.

Uninstall unused applications or delete photos and videos to free up 717.77 MB of space for the software update.

I've cleared up the space, but I'm hesitant to apply the update. Is it a mistake? Beta release of Marshmallow (judging by the size)?

What are your thoughts? Safe to apply the update?

Thanks,
Brian

Just did the update. Definitely a software update, but is isn't Marshmallow, Android Version is 5.1.1. All the apps had to be optimized again. Security patch level/date is 1 May 2016.

Not a software update I'm afraid, just a security patch for May as the G900AUCU4CPA3 firmware is from January 2016.

Reactions: bdclary
Upvote 0
Previous security updates did not optimize apps. The apps optimization let me to believe it was not just a security patch, but also some software changes as well.

Apps optimise whenever the phone's cache partition has been wiped. This can occur with any update or be initiated by the user in Recovery Mode. If your firmware ends in PA3 it will still be for January 2016 release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones