1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[AT&T] Galaxy s3 rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ckavvouras, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ckavvouras

ckavvouras Newbie

Hello everyone i recently purcased a galaxy s3 and was a bit pissed when i found out i couldnt download games from nvidia tegra zone, but then i found out there is a bypass for this using chainfire but your phone needs to be rooted. so after doing a bit more research about rooting i find out rooting leave your phone more vulnerable to stuff. so i have a few questions I'm sure have been answered but i cant seem to find anywhere

1 if i root do i need to install a custom rom or can i leave the stock rom on there

2 if i root and install a program that needs root can i then unrooted and still keep the app/program installed and in use

thanks for any help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Hello, ckavvouras, and welcome to the forums.

I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the Galaxy S3 forums so that you can get answers direct from other GS3 users.

I hope you get the answer you are looking for!

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

If you say which provider you are with the post can be moved to the appropriate rooting forum.

4. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Extreme Android User

For question 1) you can keep stock you dont have to use a custom ROM for 2) if you use a root app(titanium backup) and are NOT rooted it will NOT work
    I hope this clarifies that :)

5. ckavvouras

ckavvouras Newbie

Ok thanks so just to be clear I have to keep the phone rooted to keep using the app, I really appreciate the help. I am loving android by comparison to ios it's like a padded room for the great out doors

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Please answer the post by johnlgalt. We need to know which carrier / model S3 you have as they are all different.

7. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Although the OP's questions seem so generic that I didn't think they even needed to be S3 specific. As far as I understand it, you could just keep rooted stock rom on any phone, and apps requiring root will not change that requirement depending on device.

Although I understand that there aren't many rooting questions that are not dependent on hardware, this thread could have been correctly resolved in the Lounge. ;) I'm joking of course. Rooting questions should be in a root sub-forum.

It might be nice though if there was a generic Introduction to Rooting forum where beginners could ask about the benefits, limitations, and terminology of rooting in order to decide if they want to root, before looking at the hardware-specific issues.

Such a sub-forum could list apps that require root privileges, and the benefits of installing them. These are generally hardware non-dependent.

8. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

I don't know where you got your info from, but some of it is correct, some of it is incorrect.

Does rooting open up security vulnerabilities? Technically rooting generally exploits security vulnerabilities in order to gain root access. The security vulnerability was there regardless if you're rooted or not. Security holes are generally patched because the phone manufacturer/carrier probably check out forums for root exploits in order to patch them. However, on the Galaxy S3, the bootloader is unlocked (except the VZW version that is locked for the meantime) and no security exploit is necessary to gain root.

So how does rooting open up security holes? Well, the only way it really does is through the SuperUser app's (or SuperSU app) vulnerabilities. Which is constantly updated to remove such vulnerabilities. Plus you could flash a ROM that adds vulnerabilities, but the devs have to put their source out in order to comply with this thing called a GNU. Developer websites will not allow a ROM developer to host their files without providing a source, so that the security can be verified.

Rooted phones can actually be more secure. This is because rooted phones can get updates much more quickly than non-rooted phones that need carrier-initiated updates. For example, you may have heard of Carrier IQ? My previous phone, the Evo 3D, had that installed. Because I was a rooted user, I was able to remove it on the spot or flash a mod that removed it within a day of it being discovered (by an Android ROM developer, none-the-less). Those who were not rooted had to wait a month before it was removed, which was a huge security vulnerability.

Please tell us the carrier you're on, we do like having these conversations in the ATR forums.

Also, more stuff to read:

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443075-root-terminology.html
    http://androidforums.com/faqs/443432-what-root-being-rooted-mean.html

davoid likes this.
  9. ckavvouras

ckavvouras Newbie

Ooh sorry it's with bell model sgh-I747m

Ooh well from what I have read around the internet it seems to me that rooting leave the door open for apps to basically gain access to critical system setting and what's to stop a installed root required app to overclocking my cpu and burning my phone out or something along those lines and that's what worries me but when it comes to droid I'm still wet behind the ears the. Another reason I want to root the phone is to remove all the extra junk they put on here it seems to me that carriers like to add a lot of paid features that already come free with the Os

10. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

The superuser app regulates what has root access. I've never heard of an app that has done what you are talking about, though. And one can't magically install itself on your phone. If you're just looking to remove bloatware from your phone, rooting is completely safe.

I've also moved your thread to the AT&T section. It's because the model you list is similar to the AT&T model.

11. ckavvouras

ckavvouras Newbie

right that's why i thought i would ask here cause there are a lot of android haters that post on forums and push lies to get more people to become apple users or stick with apple and vice verse. i thank everyone for all there input and help i have heard a few horror story and what not with rooting and wanted to get my facts strait before i try anything, this site is very informative and i have found a lot of answers to question i didn't even know i had. i will admit that android has come along quite well and is pretty polished from what i remeber from way back when i was using 2.2 on a tablet i had

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews