• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At&t GoPhone data plans

Honestly that's pretty dumb.

No, there are actually good reasons for it. For example, some people will find deals on $100 prepaid cards and then want the extra amount to pay for the bill the following month.

Even in your case, there is a chance that you may not use all your data and not need the extra 1GB, in which case it is better for you if it isn't automatically applied. This way, you can buy the extra 1GB but, if you don't need it, you still have the extra $10 on your account to use next month.

One last thing, if I recall correctly, you have one month to use the extra data from the date you buy it. So, if you wait until you need the data, your "month" for the extra data starts them. Say you have used half of it, when your plan month expires and you pay another $60, you would still have the other half of your extra data. The extra data is used before your plan data, meaning you may be able to stretch your $10 so that you don't need to buy more extra data the next month.

Upvote 0
No those aren't really good reasons to me. Instead of throttling your service when you go past 2.5GB, they just shut it off. I'd rather be prepared before hand.

A slight correction: they aren't good reasons for you. While it is an extra step for you, it is easy enough to activate the extra data at the start of each month, say right after you pay your $70. Most others, from what I've seen, prefer the way it is set up now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones