• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] HELP- screen is black and can only use recovery

shaul123

Jan 6, 2015
hi all.
first post here and pretty noob with all android.
so, im using the d800 AT&T version.
the phone has lots of restrictions, so i tried to flash CLOUDYG3 rom with a guide.
rooted, got into boot recovery mode and tried to update to a newer twrp version.
couldnt, so i went back and rerooted and got into boot recovery mode with autorec.
after failing to update twrp version in autorec as well i clicked on reboot but after device rebooted the screen is BLACK after LG logo.
and the led flash keeps blinking.
i can get into download mode and recovery mode with twrp but the computer doesnt recognize the phone as mtp so i cant access the phone thro my pc.
i read a little bit and i THINK im in a boot loop.
and maybe i was really stupid- is autorec suppose to work only on kitkat devices? my device is 4.2.2

any suggestions? thanks!

and maybe i was really stupid- is autorec suppose to work only on kitkat devices? my device is 4.2.2

any suggestions? thanks!

You are correct there, it was designed for use on KitKat. You did say you could access TWRP though still? If so, you can use TWRP to either flash a working boot.img or you can get adb access while in TWRP and use an adb shell to dd write the 4.2.2 stock boot.img to restore boot. The easiest option would be the first of those two if anybody happened to make a flashable 4.2.2 boot.img in zip form.

Upvote 0
as i said im pretty new at this.
i cant seem to transfer files from pc to phone since the computer doesnt recognize the phone as mtp-
so i guess the first option is off? unless there is another option or i didnt get what youre saying.
for the 2nd- can you expand a little? how would i go on to write that in adb? and what do i need to do in order to connect my phone and my pc in adb.

thanks you very much

Upvote 0
im running exactly the stock rom of the d800 from the store (4.2.2.)
only change is twrp 2.7.0. and autorec which was a mistake.
i read that if im doing a hard factory reset at the logo screen and then wipe data in twrp it should result in returning to normal state. true?

No, not true. Wiping data (factory reset) in TWRP will leave you without a booting phone.

Honestly, you may be best off to just reflash stock using LG Flash Tools and a tot. I say that because I'm not exactly sure what Autorec did on your 4.2.2 phone and/or what you've exactly done since. To get a flavor for what flashing a tot involves, see this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Note the OP mentions the kdz method and tot method there. The ATT has no kdz's so you'll have to use the tot method. For that reason, you can skip past about the first half of the OP's post as it doesn't apply to you. That will completely wipe your phone including your sdcard so any pics/files/etc will be gone. If you have stuff on there you seriously want to save though, we can first set up adb so you can pull the sdcard contents to your PC. Let me know if that interests you or if you even care about that.

We don't have the newest tot available for you so you'll have to accept however many OTA's came after the most recent tot file we have.

Upvote 0
a. i dont want to backup anything.
b. i remembered i have an efs backup i backed up with twrp on my pc, before i tried autorec. can i do something with it?
c. before i try the tot method, will it work even my computer doesnt recognize the phone as MTP?
i added picture of how my pc receives the phone in download mode

thanks again

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
a. i dont want to backup anything.
b. i remembered i have an efs backup i backed up with twrp on my pc, before i tried autorec. can i do something with it?
c. before i try the tot method, will it work even my computer doesnt recognize the phone as MTP?
i added picture of how my pc receives the phone in download mode

thanks again

Regarding your screenshot, LGE Androidnet USB Serial Port (com4) is the one we're dealing with and that is correct. However, you'll need to manually adjust that to Com41 in order to use LG Flash Tools successfully.

Upvote 0
you are awesome my friend.
i went back to stock rom.
now to the ORIGINAL case, since the AT&T version has a lot of restrictions (tethering which i really need)
i want to flash a custom rom that would allow me to use my phone as unblocked.
i heard cloudyg3 was good and i attempted to flash it originally, but now i would like to hear your advice as as to a good rom.
i would also like it to be kitkat if possible.
thanks again

Upvote 0
you are awesome my friend.
i went back to stock rom.
now to the ORIGINAL case, since the AT&T version has a lot of restrictions (tethering which i really need)
i want to flash a custom rom that would allow me to use my phone as unblocked.
i heard cloudyg3 was good and i attempted to flash it originally, but now i would like to hear your advice as as to a good rom.
i would also like it to be kitkat if possible.
thanks again

I don't run a custom rom and haven't for nearly a year now but I do run a tethering hack for vzw and also use Xposed modules for other root stuff. Not sure if this would work for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2668453

Upvote 0
I don't run a custom rom and haven't for nearly a year now but I do run a tethering hack for vzw and also use Xposed modules for other root stuff. Not sure if this would work for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2668453

Will it work on non kitkat devices as well?
Besides, i want to update to a kitkat rom since the at&t version keeps saying device not authorised when im updating with the software update option

Upvote 0
Will it work on non kitkat devices as well?
Besides, i want to update to a kitkat rom since the at&t version keeps saying device not authorised when im updating with the software update option

Are you actually an AT&T customer or are you one of the people that thought they were buying a D802 and in reality got a D800? Because if you're an AT&T customer and the OTA's aren't working, you'll want to check the IMEI listed in settings and make sure it's correct.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Are you actually an AT&T customer or are you one of the people that thought they were buying a D802 and in reality got a D800? Because if you're an AT&T customer and the OTA's aren't working, you'll want to check the IMEI listed in settings and make sure it's correct.
3rd option- i bought the d800 from a store knowingly but i live in a country outside the US

Upvote 0
The reason why Autorec failed is because it was designed for use on KK and you were, and still are, running 4.2.

Autorec flashes a downgraded aboot (that's ok since its the same as your aboot) but it also flashes a patched kernel. And that would mess up your boot on a 4.2 device. You should be able to manually flash recovery using loki flash or through adb shell, then dd writing a recovery to a specified partition. Then, I'd perhaps flash a custom rom which is stock rooted kk if there is one available at xda for the d800.

Upvote 0
Hmm, can't say I can explain that one. But that transition to 2.7.1 (per posted dates on TWRP site) does align with KitKat hitting the G2 so I'd guess that's what you're running into. In the back of my mind I kinda remember something about that. Are you thinking you need to update recovery for a specific reason or it just didn't work on now you're curious? I'm thinking you can stay right where you're at recovery wise.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones