1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [AT&T] I feel like an idiot..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by btv1993, Jan 8, 2014.

1. btv1993

btv1993 Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2013
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    Right now, I feel completely helpless when it comes to this rooting thing and want to apologize to whoever reads this for my stupidity. Could somebody please give me step by step instructions on how i root my GS3, or at least link me to directions? I've looked it up numerous times and for some reason I can't figure it out because i'm not too good with technology. My galaxy s3 is running android 4.3 right now.

Thanks,

Brian

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    First question is why you want to root. "Just to be rooted" isn't a good answer. Rooting voids the warranty, so you should have a good reason to do it.

If you still want to, try Kingo Just download it, run it, connect the phone to the computer, click the Root button and wait.

If it tells you that you need the drivers, they're at SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones

coconutthepit likes this.
  3. btv1993

btv1993 Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2013
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    I want to root because I was told I can get rid of TouchWiz, remove irrelevant apps, and get better battery life

4. jamjr74

jamjr74 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2013
    MA
    You can just use a different launcher to get rid of touchwiz!

5. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Also a lot of the irrelevant apps can be stopped and hidden using the App Manager in Settings.

6. btv1993

btv1993 Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2013
    Male
    Student
    New Jersey
    I just want to find a way to solve my battery issue and I heard rooting can help! Ive gotten a new battery and my phone is still absolutely terrible. I start my day at 10 and I get home around 7, but over that 8 hour span I have to charge my phone numerous times. This NEVER happened with my iPhone, and I was on that non stop. Thank you all for your input!!

7. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    That could be any of a number of problems. Maybe he battery was sitting in a warehouse for months before it was shipped, and you didn't condition it so (despite what some people in the industry have been claiming), you lessened the capacity. Maybe you've allowed it to discharge too close to zero too many times. (Best life is charging at the 50% discharged point.)

Maybe you have your screen turn-off time too long. Maybe you have too many apps running in the background.

Or maybe an S3 battery just can't hold enough charge for the use you need. (The S3 is rated at up to 21 hours of talk time, but that's under lb conditions with a brand new properly conditioned battery. And they probably get that like I get 75mpg in my car - going down a steep hill with a hurricane wind behind me.

1) I see TouchWiz on my phone maybe once a month - someone here asks a question that requires that I run it to see what's causing the problem. Where is this menu item or something. The rest of the time, TouchWiz s just taking up storge.

2) An app being in storage (IOW having been installed) doesn't use battery. It only uses it when it's running. And you can disable an app in Aoolication manager if you don't even want to see its icon.

Rooting to gain storage space by uninstalling system apps is one reason for rooting. It's also a way to brick the phone if you uninstall the wrong system app. (And system apps don't take up that much space.) But not for gaining battery time. Carry a spare battery or two - they're cheap. (About $25 for 2 S3 bayyeries and a charger - look on Amazon.) Five seconds to swap batteries and pop the dead one into the charger.

Comparing battery usage between an Android phone and an iPhone is like comparing apples and cars - Android phones get less battery life than iPhones, because there's more computer running in an Android phone. (iOS is the kernel, ROM and a lot of apps, all by itself. Android is a Linux vomputer running a Java Virtual Mchine [that's 2 computers right there] and almost everything is an app.) If battery life is your main concern, your real solution is to go back to an iPhone.