• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Need Help unlocking AT&T SGH-i317

kmn5

Jun 11, 2012
Hi all,
I have a AT&T Note2 SGH-i317
I've found the instructions for unlocking the NOTE2.

1) Dial the following keys *#197328640#
2) Main Menu popup

3) [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF > (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in [6] Network Lock then choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ

thanks Don,

anyways, for anyone else that might encounter this problem in the future,
seems I need to downgrade to JellyBean 4.1.1 in order to get the correct menu for unlocking.

I tried to do the upload via odin
instructions here: Samsung Firmware downgrade AT&T Galaxy Note 2 | CellUnlocker.net for Unlock Codes

But my phone freezes on the SAMSUNG logo after reboot :mad:
I am able to get back into the download mode (HOLDING VOLUME UP + HOME + POWER )
I tried to reload the 4.1.1 rom, and again stuck on the white logo.

I then did a factory recovery....
so I'm back to square 1 :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thanks!!! The downgrade and unlock instructions are great and saved me from having an unusable phone after I moved to Spain two weeks ago.

One question though. Now that my phone is downgraded, unlocked and working on my new carrier (Movistar), it still wants to automatically "upgrade" using the AT&T software. Is there any danger of the phone becoming locked again? I don't want to have to repeat the whole downgrade thing all over again.

Note of Warning to AT&T users:
When I originally bought the Samsung Note 2 SGS-i317 the AT&T salesperson promised me I'd be able to unlock it later when I moved to Spain. I paid AT&T over $300 to end my contract and they gave me the unlock codes. The codes failed. Nobody at AT&T or Samsung cold solve it. After hours on the phone with support AT&T finally closed my case and said they could not help me. Samsung support was even worse. I won't bore you with all the gory details but I will say BUYER BEWARE.

The salespeople and support staff often know very little about the veracity of the claims and promises they are making. Moreover the current support person on the phone often contradicts the promises and claims of the last one. Apparently they don't seem to keep good notes on issues and solutions and causes. I will never ever trust what they say again. And it was almost an expensive mistake.

I'm grateful to this forum for helping me.

Upvote 0
One question though. Now that my phone is downgraded, unlocked and working on my new carrier (Movistar), it still wants to automatically "upgrade" using the AT&T software. Is there any danger of the phone becoming locked again? I don't want to have to repeat the whole downgrade thing all over again.

It will stay unlocked. I unlocked my phone when it was on 4.1.1. And then AT&T pushed 4.1.2 to my phone and it stays unlocked even after the update. Although I don't see any benefit of having 4.1.2. I disabled multi-windows immediately after the update since I don't like to multi task.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones