• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Need Help with Rooting a Galaxy S4 4.4.2

Hey there everyone, I have looked around trying to find ways to root thsi phone...
I have a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 when I got it I have rooted it using the Towelroot and it done it successfully... Well today I got a new LCD to put on it, and after putting it on it asked if I wanted to update my software.... Well I didn't know this was going to happen but it took my root away from me...
Now when I try to root it with Towelroot v3.0 and 1.0 neither one of them work... The 3.0 says my phone isn't supported and the 1.0 just sits there and after some time it will tell me it's not responding to wait or close it...
I was going to see about flashing the firmware back to were it was, but I can't figure it out....

As of right now this is the info from my phones about me...
Device Name: Samsung-SGH-I337
Android Version: 4.4.2
Base Version: I337UCUFNI1
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-2539008
dpi@SWDD5616#1
Thu Sep 4 15:06:08 KST 2014

Any help figuring this out and getting my root back, I would be greatly appreciated..

I just tried Kingo Root, but how ever it does not work... When I installed it; it said it was for versions up to 4.2.2 were mine is on 4.4.2 ... Went through all the steps and then it tells me plug my device in, then tells me Connecting... and my computer sees my phone is connected, but Kingo Root keeps telling me Not Connected Please connect your device to computer via USB cable... every time I unplug it and plug it back in keeps saying the same thing...

Went to the website and there not listing my type of Samsung Galaxy S4... I have the SGH-I337...

Upvote 0
To Root your device this is what I have done, and it works perfect...

1. Take the NI1 OTA update. (Should the update fail see troubleshooting section below).
2. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the "Home", "Volume Down", and "Power" keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press "Volume Up" key).
3. Flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
4. Root using Towelroot-v3.apk(internet access not required).
5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again.
6. Flash the I337_NI1_Stock_Kernel also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
7. Install SuperSU to manage root access. Done!

I take no part in making this guide... the original post was done by muniz_ri on xda-developers.

Upvote 0
I just tried Kingo Root, but how ever it does not work... When I installed it; it said it was for versions up to 4.2.2 were mine is on 4.4.2 ... Went through all the steps and then it tells me plug my device in, then tells me Connecting... and my computer sees my phone is connected, but Kingo Root keeps telling me Not Connected Please connect your device to computer via USB cable... every time I unplug it and plug it back in keeps saying the same thing...

Went to the website and there not listing my type of Samsung Galaxy S4... I have the SGH-I337...
Sgh1337 is under At&t Bell Telsus s4 forum. None of the rooting methods will work until you downgrade. At least not until a fix is under way for ni1.

Upvote 0
I have the at&t l337 also. Also rooted to 4.4.2 via towelroot & am looking for a way to ypdate.
My ota method keeps wanting me to update & I'd ultimately like to get to 5.0 rooted. No real hurry but I can't get rid of the update is ready popups. Is it cached somewhere?
I just got an S4 Active and I applied the latest update. I then rooted with the method linked below; it's the same as that listed above but with videos. It should work for the S4 too. I'd go ahead and apply the update, then use this method to again achieve root.

http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2014/09/To...4-S5-and-Note3-Android-4.4.2-NF-or-Later.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones