1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[AT&T] NEWBIE!!! Questions about rooting and extra question about ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Libby4ever21, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Libby4ever21

Libby4ever21 Lurker

Do I NEED an SD card to root my Galaxy S3? I read in a few places that YES, I do need an SD card, and in the same thread other people were saying you DON'T need an SD card, you can use the internal memory (but it's advised that you use one).

1. Which is true? If the second is true, how do I root with no SD?
    2. Why is it advised that you used an SD card? Does not having one complicate the process?
    3. If I root now, but get an SD card later, will I have to wipe my data and restart the rooting process to accommodate the SD card?

As for ROMs, this is more of a bonus question, totally understandable if there aren't any answers:

I am a new user, so I can't yet post links :-( but if you google "FoxHound ROM for Galaxy S3: The Best of All Worlds?" there is a photo beneath the title "Aroma & OTA Make It Completely Yours". It has a tree and human silhouettes on the top. I LOVE this set up, with the icons and artwork BUT....I use at&t, and this is for the international version of the phone. Out of curiosity, I looked up cases where at&t users tried this ROM and sure enough, someone was wondering why their phone was bricked.

Does anyone know where I can find a ROM like this? I don't like the S3 wallpaper/theme design AT ALLLL!!!!! I want something new. Again, the bulk of my question is concerning rooting, so if you don't know of such a custom ROM it's ok :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Hi Libby, and welcome to AF :)

The best place to get answers to this would be the device All Things Root forum. Root stuff is phone-specific, and there are several S3 models (international GSM, CDMA, LTE,...). If you can tell us which model you have one of us can move your question to the appropriate forum.

I can tell you that changing sd card after rooting is not a problem though.

jhawkkw and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Libby4ever21

Libby4ever21 Lurker

Thank you, Hadron!! I really don't know if this is what you're referring to, but the model number is ending in "SGH-I747".

jhawkkw likes this.
  4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Yes, that helps. You have the AT&T model, and as such I have moved it to the AT&TATR subform. Hopefully this helps get the attention of someone who can help you.

5. Libby4ever21

Libby4ever21 Lurker

Thank you for moving it!!

6. Dvoraak

Dvoraak Newbie

I don't believe there's any difference at all between using the internal sd and external. Some phones are coming without an sd option at all now. I've seen roots done both ways with no ill effects. As for the ROM you're looking for, I haven't seen it. Fortunately, aside from the international version, you have one of the most popular Android handsets in the world which means there are many ROMs to choose from. Stick with ones that are known to be compatible with (or developed specifically for) the i747. I'd suggest staying away from nightly ROMs and make sure you've done a nandroid backup before you try to flash anything. There are a ton of sites and youtube videos that can guide you through the process.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews